By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony domination begins....?

krik, you've stopped to using a tactic that the SDF uses as a joke.

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=200

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:
PooperScooper said:
I didn't know GC had a mario game.... wow.

Most people prefer to forget the existence of That Mario Game Which Shall Not Be Named.

You couldn't mean... No.... Never... CURSE YOU FLUDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY? WHY COULDN'T YOU JUST NOT BE THERE?

Username2324 said:
tombi123 said:
Will the PS3 beat the,

360: gauranteed

Wii: most likely
Fixed.

I hate to be the first to get off topic but does anyone else find that obnoxious? Nothing to do with the individuals or the side of the argument here, just when anyone modifies a quote I find it rude.

OT:

Can it happen? Yes, anything is possible.

Will it happen? I do not think so. I think it is still in doubt if it will take second. Though I give it better odds today then 6 months ago. 

twesterm said:
leo-j said:
twesterm said:

I wish people would realize one or two games won't suddenly boost a console sells and pull it out of any kind of slump or whatever. Not saying the PS3 is in a slump, I'm just saying MGS4 isn't suddenly going t oboost sales by 10 million.

Want proof? Look at the Gamecube.

Want proof look at the ps1 when FF VII was released.

FFVII + a good library.  Also, you can't assume every game will be a fluke.

When lets just say MGS4, the PS3 is going to have MGS4 and still a mediocre library.

PS3 has a mediocre library? Really? So what do you call the Wii's library? As far as I know PS3's library is pretty solid and will be even better in June when MGS4 comes out.

RockBand, GH3, Uncharted, R&C, CoD4, Resistance, DMC4 and Oblivion (just to name a few)  + Haze + GTAIV + GT5P,  are not what I would call a mediocre library.

PS: For my complete mediocre PS3 game collection see the link on my signature 

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

twesterm said:
Griffin said:
twesterm said:

I wish people would realize one or two games won't suddenly boost a console sells and pull it out of any kind of slump or whatever. Not saying the PS3 is in a slump, I'm just saying MGS4 isn't suddenly going t oboost sales by 10 million.

Want proof? Look at the Gamecube.

You can't compare the PS3 to the GC. The market has changed too much, the PS3 sales will blow the GC away. The GC also had a very bad Zelda in the wind waker, and a bad Mario game. The GC also had very front heavy sales, while the PS3 sales will continue to get stronger.

Um...are you talking about this Mario game and this Zelda game that both average well over 90%? Try playing the games before criticizing them just listening to what other people said.

Like I said, a game or two alone won't carry a system. If a few good games could carry a system then the GC would have sold much better (and possibly better than the PS2) since it had most of the top games last gen.

Say what now? This Nintendo fanboyism is getting a bit out of hand here...

Besides, the GC lacked a lot of third party support to have become truly succesfull, something of which the Ps3 isn't suffering from.  

Around the Network

i'm quite surprised how well the ps3 is selling in europe and america. it actually has decent sales since the holidays while 360 is straight up dying. yes it might take another two years but the ps3 should eat up the 360 by the end of this gen. to ask if it is gonna have even half the sales of the wii is just folly. but i could see the ps3 maybe hitting 45-50 million this gen which would be very good considering the system they put out for sale this time around.

but as for sony domination: an obvious no. a company doesn't dominate unless its not only winning but actually, suprisingly enough, dominating. thats nintendo this gen and no one else has more than a 0% chance at domination.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

The GameCube had the best games? Don't make a fool of yourself.

...but the N64? It had Mario 64, Goldeneye, Ocarina, 'Kart 64, and Rare back when it was awesome.

A few AAA titles (heck even a few "AAAA" ones) cannot save a system with 25% market share. Only one think can save it, a mass amount of "quite good" games. Hundreds of them. Thats what the PSone and PS2 had, and thats what the DS has.

Nintendo has a lot of the best games of every generation, since they are easily the most consistently successful developer of all time. However, Nintendo does not dominate every generation, and the GC lost to even newcomer MicroSoft, because it takes more than a handful of amazing games. It takes... third party support, word-of-mouth advertising, and momentum. Right now Nintendo has all 3 up the wazoo.

Did you see Jon Stewart playing a PS3 at the Oscars?

People see a Wii and they shit their pants "zomg he moved his arms crazy!" Nobody can stop the Wii effect.

The battle for 2nd place began a while ago, but the battle for 1st place ended a while ago. Thank you for playing.

Username2324 said:
tombi123 said:
Will the PS3 beat the,

360: gauranteed

Wii: most likely
Fixed.

LOL, in this context, certainly and guaranteed mean the same thing. 

I would also like to say that it is most unlikely that the PS3 will beat the Wii :) 

krik said:
disolitude said:
krik said:
Sony domination began in December 3, 1994, when they launched the PXS in Japan. LOL

This is true...so...

Sony domination -

Dec 3, 1994 - Nov 22 2006

RIP!

Haha, I see what you did there ;)

But you're wrong, look at this data:

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 05th Jan 2008 to 08th Mar 2008:

ConsoleWiiPS3X360PS2
Total

PS2+PS3 = 3,126,100

PlayStation consoles (PS2+PS3) > Wii > X360

or

Wii > PS3 > PS2 > 360

PS: it's really sad but the 360 can't even beat the PS2... lol

I couldn't care less where 360 is on that list... you don't expect PS2 to grow in sales do you? In any case Wii is and always will be uncatchable in any category, no matter how you want spin this. Profit, software sales, console sale...wii will be number 1. 

Even if PS3 catches up to 360 in some 2-3 years and sells some 60 million consoles to 360's 40 million lets say...its still the big loser of the generation. Microsoft would have doubled their userbase while sony lost half of it...

This will mean that when next gen starts, developers would not be so eager to grab their dev kits off the bat...exclusives will slip to other consoles...the domino effect. Its already happening...