By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 announced for PS4, PS3

Hiku said:
Acevil said:
Hiku said:
Acevil said:

Hmm I have strange feeling we might not get the ps3 title in the west. Also wouldn't this be Square Enix's decision, not Sony.

Well yeah, I mean that Sony create consoles with such a good echo system that developers will want to support it for a long time.
But Sony themselves also tend to support their systems with good games rather than holding them off for the next gen.

Though what makes you think that it will be PS4 only in the west? Besides Dragon Quest: Heroes, are there any other examples of Suare doing that?

Square is the same company that didn't release Type-0 on handhelds in the west (when they should have), that is why I say they most likely won't. I hoping the rumor that Sony is putting money behind this, to be true, because honestly if it is ps3/ps4 title, everyone should be able to play it, not just Japan. 

Well I don't think they had any plans for a PS4 HD version during the original game's development, which was even planned for mobile at first. So rather than making one version for the west, and another for the east, I think it was rather a decision to not localize the original game outside of Japan. Just like certain Tales of games from namco never reached the west.
But after the original PSP game came out, they've gotten a lot of fan requests for a western release, and since Japan had already played the game, and we in the west had not, that might be why they reconsidered for the PS4 version. And to no one's surprise, Type-0 didn't sell very well in japan on PS4.

I'm also taking into account time as well. Japan generally allows games to be on shelves longer for previous consoles (Hence why you saw GBA/DS/PS2/PS3/PSP games), while the west generally starts abadoning them faster. I hope they do, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. Personally I would pick this up for the ps4 (prefer the controller). 

Around the Network
Hiku said:
outlawauron said:
As for the actual game, while I'm sad it won't be a step forward as much as SO3->SO4, it has the chance to redeem itself from SO4 by actually being good. Still can't believe I wasted 50+ hours getting every ending with SO4.

I understand how you feel.
I decided to continue the game from where I left off in 2012, earlier this year. I now feel like I should have spent those 40+ extra hours on a more worthwhile game. Time I will never get back. =/

So you both are saying, it never does pick up. 

lonerism said:

Hope we can get a character like her:

Had a blast with Meracle

Aha XD i liked her too, i actually had fun with SO4. Just didnt like the main character

Acevil said:
SjOne said:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope has the same Metacritic score of 74 as Final Fantasty: Type-0 HD does. It can't be be that awful.

When it comes to JRPG, I don't trust reviewers at all. I trust people like Outlaw and others, people who are actual fans of JRPGs. However I do have to remember to exclusive exclusive bias that exist in users as well. 

Many have expressed more joy playing SO4 than they do for a game like FFXIII which actually scored higher.

SjOne said:
Acevil said:

When it comes to JRPG, I don't trust reviewers at all. I trust people like Outlaw and others, people who are actual fans of JRPGs. However I do have to remember to exclusive exclusive bias that exist in users as well. 

Many have expressed joy playing SO4 than they do for a game like FFXIII which actually scored higher.

I actually beat FFXIII and ya, I could say I had more joy from what I played in Star Ocean 4. However the reason I stopped is the perfectionist (and achievement) took over, and I didn't want to restart my game. Now a days I don't care for those two in JRPG.

Last generation wasn't great for JRPG on home consoles for me, the best was Tales of Vesperia. (Not counting Nintendo in this). 

Around the Network
Tootylicious said:
Cloudman said:

So is this the game that will convince you to buy a PS4?

The thing is, I don't have a game yet that single handedly convinces me to own a PS4. I tend to wait until there are a couple of games that I need to play.

So by the end of 2016, there hopefully be some games that make me want to buy a PS4. MGSV, FFXV, Ys, Persona 5, Disagea 5, The Witness, Uncharted 4 should be out by then - as well. And maybe The Last Guardian?

Among a few other selected "in your dreams" games, The Last Guardian or a new, classy Crash Bandicoot would be the only games that I'd buy a PS4 for, simply to show Sony that it was about damn time to release the game.

Haha, I'm on the same boat. I'm not too interested in the games they have so far. A good bunch of RPGs may do the trick for me. ; )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

No xbox one version is a bit dissapointing. +

SjOne said:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope has the same Metacritic score of 74 as Final Fantasty: Type-0 HD does. It can't be be that awful.

Probably the top 3 worst games I played last generation. I haven't actually compiled a worst game list. I may have to actually do that.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
SjOne said:

Probably the top 3 worst games I played last generation. I haven't actually compiled a worst game list. I may have to actually do that.

Infinite Undiscovery being number 1?

Acevil said:
Hiku said:

I understand how you feel.
I decided to continue the game from where I left off in 2012, earlier this year. I now feel like I should have spent those 40+ extra hours on a more worthwhile game. Time I will never get back. =/

So you both are saying, it never does pick up. 

I thought the first few 3-4 hours were excellent. After that it just kinda falls apart and gets much worse. Only thing that stays consistently positive is the combat system which is well done mostly.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.