By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles X could have gotten a downgrade

Would it matter to you a downgrade in XCX?

Yes 144 29.45%

No 266 54.40%

See results 79 16.16%

Total:489

I hope they do hit some walls this gen. Besides Bayo 2, every other released game I have played has not really felt like it maxed out the potential of the Wii U. Looking forward to seeing if Project Zero Wii U does.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
I hope they do hit some walls this gen. Besides Bayo 2, every other released game I have played has not really felt like it maxed out the potential of the Wii U. Looking forward to seeing if Project Zero Wii U does.

Really maxing out a system of Wii U's caliber takes a level of investment virtually no developer seems willing to put in, unfortunately.

Probably the closest we'll get to seeing its full potential will be this game and FAST Racing Neo.

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

Really maxing out a system of Wii U's caliber takes a level of investment virtually no developer seems willing to put in, unfortunately.

Probably the closest we'll get to seeing its full potential will be this game and FAST Racing Neo.

Lol, just thought about how long ago it has been since they said or have shown anything about that game.... That one pic was nice though!

curl-6 said:
Tootylicious said:
curl-6 said:

I meant that if the intent was to hide poor textures, it would be easier (and cheaper from a rendering standpoint) to just not show it at all, not to try to conceal it with motion blur.

Besides, if they let that floor texture show, I doubt they'd go to so much trouble to disguise a passing doll.

Well, if I was the director of this cutscene, I'd rather have some blur hide poor textures than remove whole objects from the scene, which might drastically change the tone of the cutscene. Also I think that people focus much more on moving, living objects than some blurry floor.

It's a moving object that passes by in the background for two seconds, people aren't going to notice its textures more than the floor shot, which is much more clearly visible for a much longer period. If they went to the trouble of trying to hide the doll's textures, they would have tried to hide the floor as well.

And motion blur doesn't come for free; it requires processing power to implement, so its addition is a graphical upgrade.

I guess this is debatable, but I focussed much more on the walking char than the floor. I know what a floor looks like (a blurry mess in most games), so why concentrate on that? If I see a doll passing by, which is a much more interesting object for this games context and story, I'd much rather rewind the 2 seconds to see it again than the floor scene. As I said, if the director wants that shot of the floor and the feet, you can't just hide the ground.

Motion blur really doesn't require all that much processing power anymore, those days are long gone. And I wouldn't consider any kind of blur a graphical upgrade, but that's a matter of taste.

Tootylicious said:

I guess this is debatable, but I focussed much more on the walking char than the floor. I know what a floor looks like (a blurry mess in most games), so why concentrate on that? If I see a doll passing by, which is a much more interesting object for this games context and story, I'd much rather rewind the 2 seconds to see it again than the floor scene. As I said, if the director wants that shot of the floor and the feet, you can't just hide the ground.

Motion blur really doesn't require all that much processing power anymore, those days are long gone. And I wouldn't consider any kind of blur a graphical upgrade, but that's a matter of taste.

Motion blur still takes more processing power than no motion blur, it's still an upgrade.  Since the game has no problem showing the dolls elsewhere, it obviously isn't there as a disguising measure.

Around the Network

It looks like they only downgraded the cut-scenes...

curl-6 said:
Tootylicious said:

Motion blur still takes more processing power than no motion blur, it's still an upgrade.  Since the game has no problem showing the dolls elsewhere, it obviously isn't there as a disguising measure.

Just because something takes more processing power doesn't make it an upgrade.

Tootylicious said:
curl-6 said:

Technically it is, though I get that you don't like the effect. The thing is though, it makes no sense for it to be any kind of disguise when the assets it is supposedly "hiding" are openly  shown elsewhere.

my copy arrives in a little over a week, si ill do a detailed graphical analysis then with 1080p captures.

Also the use of motion blur doesnt make up for the texture and structural downgrades, and can be used to hide low poly / low texture detail objects, going off of the scene changes, i'd say it was part a aesthetical choice and part a cost saving measure on resources that the number of dolls in the scene was greatly reduced. as well as much of the internal geometry of the buildings interior.

But hey, ill cover it in more detail with pictures once the retail copy arrives, and if i can get clearance from mono/EAD i'll cross compare with footage I took of an early devkit build.

curl-6 said:
Tootylicious said:
curl-6 said:

Technically it is, though I get that you don't like the effect. The thing is though, it makes no sense for it to be any kind of disguise when the assets it is supposedly "hiding" are openly  shown elsewhere.

I think I just don't like that you used the word upgrade in this context, because it implies an improvement, while the use of blur can be very subjective (is it an effect as you said and they require processing power) compared to many technical advancements (higher polygon count, anti aliasing, higher texture resolutions, higher frame rate).
My initial post wasn't fully serious, I'm not bitter about the changes since the 2013 trailer, but I don't see the benefits of motion blur in that scene (the director might). I'd disable any kind of motion blur in games if the settings allow me to do so.