By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles X could have gotten a downgrade

Would it matter to you a downgrade in XCX?

Yes 144 29.45%

No 266 54.40%

See results 79 16.16%

Total:489
captain carot said:
Funny thing is, what really annoys me is character design and the mediocre to bad animations graphicswise. Not downgrades and/or changes.
Facial animation is probably the worst i've seen in the last decade.

You realize the facial animations during the directs (in the parts made specifically for it, like the character talking to the viewer) won't have work put on them, right? on the actual game, faces will act normally.

Around the Network

Hopefully. Though it's to be released in Japan in two weeks and that stuff was near final.

It still is the only new JRPG i'm interested in though.

Now, I'd like to see if the ENTIRE game was "downgraded" as people claim. Comparisons when the game releases will be needed. 

Also, are both scenes in the same time of day? The time of day can potentially lead to differences in lighting conditions. 

Tootylicious said:
curl-6 said:

I meant that if the intent was to hide poor textures, it would be easier (and cheaper from a rendering standpoint) to just not show it at all, not to try to conceal it with motion blur.

Besides, if they let that floor texture show, I doubt they'd go to so much trouble to disguise a passing doll.

Well, if I was the director of this cutscene, I'd rather have some blur hide poor textures than remove whole objects from the scene, which might drastically change the tone of the cutscene. Also I think that people focus much more on moving, living objects than some blurry floor.

It's a moving object that passes by in the background for two seconds, people aren't going to notice its textures more than the floor shot, which is much more clearly visible for a much longer period. If they went to the trouble of trying to hide the doll's textures, they would have tried to hide the floor as well.

And motion blur doesn't come for free; it requires processing power to implement, so its addition is a graphical upgrade.

forethought14 said:

Now, I'd like to see if the ENTIRE game was "downgraded" as people claim. Comparisons when the game releases will be needed. 

Also, are both scenes in the same time of day? The time of day can potentially lead to differences in lighting conditions. 

No one is claiming that and it's not true. there's video proof of it.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:
 Inconsistencies like this I think do come back to textures popping in and the delay in that. You even see this at the start when it cuts to that angle looking over his shoulder: the gun and shoulder texture start out really blurry and then load in and look comparable to the original trailer look. And lighting does play a roll in this. Overall, I think the visuals are largely unchanged.

Yeah I noticed that. At first I was like, ouch, major downgrade, then the full resolution texture popped in. I guess this is where those hard drive installs come in.

Yeah, just edited that into my post before you responded :P .  I would also recommend using the faster 32gigs onboard the system rather tahn an external. 

How I wish they'd included a 128 GB SSD. Wii U games could be pushed harder if there was meaningful space on the internal drive. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

More internal space and thus faster loading times would only mean faster loading times. UE3 games wouldn't have texture loading issues like in the Batman Arkham games. That's it.

There's as well no need for more VRAM*, the GPU wouldn't benefit from it. But more main RAM would've been useful to load more data at once and have less reloads. Having 1.5-2GB free for games would have been great. And 1.5 should be possible if Nintendo got the memory footprint of the OS dowwn.

*Unified RAM, though it seems like up to 512MB is used for graphics.

captain carot said:
More internal space and thus faster loading times would only mean faster loading times. UE3 games wouldn't have texture loading issues like in the Batman Arkham games. That's it.

There's as well no need for more VRAM*, the GPU wouldn't benefit from it. But more main RAM would've been useful to load more data at once and have less reloads. Having 1.5-2GB free for games would have been great. And 1.5 should be possible if Nintendo got the memory footprint of the OS dowwn.

*Unified RAM, though it seems like up to 512MB is used for graphics.

Pretty sure the 1GB of RAM Wii U has available to games is unified.

Look at the little star. ;)

Unified just means that devs can handle how they share it between GPU and CPU. And that in blocks of a typical size. Now lets say Mario Kart 8 does not need much main RAM. That could likely mean that they can use up to 768MB for graphics.
Though the likely Wii U GPU, i'd still guess on a Redwod based one, wouldn't benefit much from more than 512MB. If it is RV730 based, that did not benefit from 1GB at all as PC graphicscard.

On the opposite we have a Xenoblade X. That might need up to 768MB for data. So there would be 256MB left for graphics.

Now Wii U has unified,but not heterogenous memory. So there's always a rate at which memory is shared between CPU and GPU. The exact rate depends on needs and adressable block sizes. Most of Nintendos typical first party games probably don't need that much main RAM. So there should be more than enough free GPU memory.
Xenoblade might be the first game where Wii U is somewhat short of memory and the GPU might get less than it could utilize.
Having 1.5GB free memory could probably reduce those issues.

That is not more than a smart guess. But it's not unrealistic.

XCX definitely looks like the most memory-intensive Wii U game to date, so it's not too far fetched to theorize that it might be the first to really hit the limits of what you can do with 1GB of unified GDDR3.