By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [FORBES Contributor] Nintendo Needs To Get Its Amiibo Act Together

Pavolink said:
That's why I don't have that things, not even Link. I won't support that practice.

My link is so amazing. Envy me :d

Around the Network
POE said:
Pavolink said:
That's why I don't have that things, not even Link. I won't support that practice.

My link is so amazing. Envy me :d

My Link is bigger.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

vkaraujo said:
Mythmaker1 said:
On the one hand, I agree. On the other hand, until we actually see what Nintendo's long-term plan is, it's probably best for them to be conservative.

Amiibos are doing well now, but only the hardest of the hardcore Nintendo fans are going to keep buying these if Nintendo doesn't roll out a fleshed-out ecosystem for them. Right now, outside of the collector's appeal, it's just a gimmick.

You are touching another problematic point.

If they add meaningful gameplay features to the Amiibos, gamers are going to complain about Day 1 DLC. If they don't, it will be forever a gimmick/toy/collectible.

Just look for Splatoon Amiibos reveal reactions. They give daily quests that you can make in order to get some extra gear. I loved the idea, but many didn't. 

Exactly. Nintendo is going to have to walk a very fine line with this Amiibo thing. If they just keep pumping out more Amiibos without actually advancing the concept, it's not going to last very long at all. But if they do too much with the Amiibos, they're going to turn off a lot of their fans.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Mythmaker1 said:
vkaraujo said:

If they add meaningful gameplay features to the Amiibos, gamers are going to complain about Day 1 DLC. If they don't, it will be forever a gimmick/toy/collectible.

Just look for Splatoon Amiibos reveal reactions. They give daily quests that you can make in order to get some extra gear. I loved the idea, but many didn't. 

Exactly. Nintendo is going to have to walk a very fine line with this Amiibo thing. If they just keep pumping out more Amiibos without actually advancing the concept, it's not going to last very long at all. But if they do too much with the Amiibos, they're going to turn off a lot of their fans.

I think they are walking that line quite well so far. In pretty much every game, the additions have felt like something truly extra or something that is truly designed around the idea of the amiibo. Never has it felt like the amiibo was content removed from the game, or content that would be sorely missed if I didn't want to buy amiibo, and the fact that one amiibo can get you things in multiple games also makes it a pretty good deal monetarily.

As a side point, they have done what they could to make sure that the amiibo with more functionality are stocked better than the ones which solely exist as collectors items (Mario, Link and Toon Link are readily available and have the most functionality).

I know this is as much a problem for Nintendo as it is for us but I really wonder why the hell we don't do anything against importers and scalpers, those two groups do what they do compeltely on purpose to rake in more cash than the items are actually worth, I know it;s morally wrong but really it's actually quite damaging because 1. people fall for it or break eventually with scalpers/importers high costs, 2. It teaches people that buying lots of items for low and selling way over the top is perfectly fine and okay, even though you don't deserve to make any money for trying to charge others high prices, the items sold by the corp were already at a fair price but instead you buy loads of them which prevents other's from buying them at the fair price and you have the balls to charge for high, I find that incrediably damaging to society because it only benefits them, doesn't benefit the company or the buyer because they gave in, that shit really needs to full on stop.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

The last wave of Amiibos and the bullshit they pulled pretty much pushed me away from ever diving in.

Former something....

sundin13 said:
Mythmaker1 said:
vkaraujo said:

I think they are walking that line quite well so far. In pretty much every game, the additions have felt like something truly extra or something that is truly designed around the idea of the amiibo. Never has it felt like the amiibo was content removed from the game, or content that would be sorely missed if I didn't want to buy amiibo, and the fact that one amiibo can get you things in multiple games also makes it a pretty good deal monetarily.

As a side point, they have done what they could to make sure that the amiibo with more functionality are stocked better than the ones which solely exist as collectors items (Mario, Link and Toon Link are readily available and have the most functionality).

That last bit is actually what shouts at me the most about this whole thing. For the most part Amiibos are just collectibles, only a few of them actually having real functionality. People who aren't collecting are just going to buy those, if any, so I don't see demand going anywhere but down unless Nintendo shakes things up.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Mythmaker1 said:

That last bit is actually what shouts at me the most about this whole thing. For the most part Amiibos are just collectibles, only a few of them actually having real functionality. People who aren't collecting are just going to buy those, if any, so I don't see demand going anywhere but down unless Nintendo shakes things up.

Well there will be things like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Codename STEAM which provide functionality to the more niche figures and allows for another wave of reprinting (in STEAM's case), pushing the demand back up. Overall I don't see this as a problem though. The collectible aspect is pushing the figures pretty nicely and even if that dies down, the gameplay utility of the rest of them should keep sales going. They now have the ability to expand more onto new 3DS increasing the utility again.

I think there is quite a while to go before amiibo really needs to do anything major to keep pushing sales.

Nintendo and their amiibo handling is utterly ridiculous. Even now, they fail to meet the demand for them, leaving people to have to hunt for the ones they want, making this some sort of `Amiibo Hunt` game. I thought this was a bold new idea Ninten wanted to pursue. It doesn`t seem like they have much faith in it themselves if they are releasing such a small number of them, aside from Mario ones. How are people supposed to use them in games if they become hard to find? I simply don`t get it. Ninten needs to get their act together and make more of these dang things. You don`t go into something half-heartedly. Ugh... And I love these things too... >: (

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
Nintendo and their amiibo handling is utterly ridiculous. Even now, they fail to meet the demand for them, leaving people to have to hunt for the ones they want, making this some sort of `Amiibo Hunt` game. I thought this was a bold new idea Ninten wanted to pursue. It doesn`t seem like they have much faith in it themselves if they are releasing such a small number of them, aside from Mario ones. How are people supposed to use them in games if they become hard to find? I simply don`t get it. Ninten needs to get their act together and make more of these dang things. You don`t go into something half-heartedly. Ugh... And I love these things too... >: (

The game is the point. The low stock isn't a sign of lack of faith, it is a strategy for creating a fanatical culture around amiibo. While the hunt may be frustrating to some fans, to others it is the centerpiece of the excitement. I think that it is hard to deny that the low stock has created a fanatical fanbase around amiibo. I've been praising Steam for years on how it has turned the act of purchasing games into a game of its own right. It is amazing to see that Nintendo has managed to do a similar thing with physical products...

Also, as I stated before, the ones with the most utility in games tend to be the ones that are extremely common, like Mario, Link and Toon Link.