By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [FORBES Contributor] Nintendo Needs To Get Its Amiibo Act Together

I could understand it for the first and second waves but by now Nintendo should know they have struck gold. Wave 4 should have been released with a way more stock. Their business decisions are sometimes impossible to understand.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
vkaraujo said:

Well, i don't think Nintendo is doing this on purpose, but this situation also turns me off.

I really wanted them, but here in my country importers are charging so much for them, that with 11 of them i can get a PS4. It is just ridiculous

They are doing. Some amiibo are exclusive to certain retails, others are sold at ridiculous times, etc.

Those plastic figurines have overpriced DLC, like the spinner in Hyrule Warriors.

But as things goes, this will fade quickly.

Fade so quickly that they just announced Splatoon Amiibos+Yoshi Wolly Amiibos with AC amiibo cards for a new AC game? (though the AC game isnt a big release).

Amiibos arent fading for a long time. SSB amiibos will continue alone into 2016.

That said, Nintendo is doing horrible with the supply... i mean HORRIBLE.

Aren't the shortages a good thing from a business point of view? It creates huge buzz and I think it helps sales a lot. Could be wrong, of course. Even the whole exclusive amiibos in certain stores must affect demand. I think it's a clever business strategy.

tbone51 said:
Pavolink said:

They are doing. Some amiibo are exclusive to certain retails, others are sold at ridiculous times, etc.

Those plastic figurines have overpriced DLC, like the spinner in Hyrule Warriors.

But as things goes, this will fade quickly.

Fade so quickly that they just announced Splatoon Amiibos+Yoshi Wolly Amiibos with AC amiibo cards for a new AC game? (though the AC game isnt a big release).

Amiibos arent fading for a long time. SSB amiibos will continue alone into 2016.

These articles are the first signs of the fade.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
tbone51 said:

Tell that to every retailer sight that amiibo are sold out in mins too. They would laugh

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Pavolink said:

Tell that to every retailer sight that amiibo are sold out in mins too. They would laugh

We'll see.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

naruball said:
Aren't the shortages a good thing from a business point of view? It creates huge buzz and I think it helps sales a lot. Could be wrong, of course. Even the whole exclusive amiibos in certain stores must affect demand. I think it's a clever business strategy.

Actually its not, Nintendo is losing potential money. If they stock enough they would easily get more in profits, hardcore collecters are even having a hard time to get these. Last Thursday i was 3rd in line at gamestop trying to buy 9 amiibos and waited 3 hours intill servers shut down and went home empty handed :-/

Pavolink said:
tbone51 said:

We'll see.

You dont need to see, if it were to fade it would have done so in Wave 2 or 3. All Splatoon+Yoshi Wolly World+SSB+Retailer exclusives have been sold out in mins when opened up online. 

There are still at least Zelda/Star Fox/Animal Crossing amiibo not yet made and the biggest one ifthey decide to do pokemon...

naruball said:

Maybe in short-term, but it shouldn't be such a chore to get them or people will just give up.

I think Nintendo needs to at least come out and confirm the re-release of many models in the future, so scalpers at least get afraid of holding them for too long. People also need to stop buying from scalpers.

I agree with this guy's take on what's happened. Given Nintendo was trying to get lean last year, they probably made pretty conservative estimates for Amiibo production. And now their manufacturing arrangements are plain insufficient. Which unfortunately means fixing this will take time.

Nintendo also put themselves in a tight spot by starting with the Smash series.  That's a TON of characters and fan bases to cover, which means they have to divide their resources between trying to fix their supply issues and producing wave after wave of new Amiibo.  Failing at either would cause an uproar.