By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Studios should be Nintendo's Naughty Dog: Journey to the West

alternine said:
I disagree with calling them overrated but I will say that Retro is wasting their time with Donkey Kong. They should making Uncharted caliber Metroid games.

Have you even played Donkey Kong county tropical freeze? the entire game? Its the best platformer gamei have ever played, its incredibly underrated and its a fantastic game, im actually  a bit happy they made tropical freeze instead of going straight to a new metroid game, and that comes from a huge metroid fan. I would be happy that they do a new metroid game now though.

Around the Network

Not happening under Iwata.

Yes, they should make some western-oriented games. Yes, Disney's example is obvious to everyone, bar Nintendo's leadership. No, it won't happen until they stop trying to push "Nintendo culture" onto the world, instead of adapting more to what mainstream wants.

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

If Retro could get a steady stream of their own original games that do the things you propose early into NX`s life, I agree that it would help get the momentum going to bring that western audience and the 3rd parties. It could work I think.

I don't expect Retro to be able to release a steady stream of anything. They aren't big enough. Nintendo needs more than just Retro which is why I suggestion commisions early on for the NX, but what's important is that Retro hits this home run before the NX releases. The ball has to start rolling on the Wii U. That audience needs proof before the NX.

Should they bother to release anything big on the Wii U? It'd seem like a wasted effort overall if they did. What good what it do for them to start on the Wii U rather than on the NX? It'd probably be better for them to start on a clean slate on the NX rather than risk having poor sales on a dying console. It doesn't seem like it would be a PS3 turnaround in this case.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

i have to disagree that Sony's shift was with the release of uncharted. it started a few years back and with more studios. Guerrilla Games was hired to make killzone (then became first party). SSM made GoW in 2005, Insomniac made resistance, and sucker punch was working on infamous. there was a big shift at Sony and while ND was a part of that shift, it wasnt the one that started it.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:

Should they bother to release anything big on the Wii U? It'd seem like a wasted effort overall if they did. What good what it do for them to start on the Wii U rather than on the NX? It'd probably be better for them to start on a clean slate on the NX rather than risk having poor sales on a dying console. It doesn't seem like it would be a PS3 turnaround in this case.

No matter what they put out on the Wii U, it won't have satisfactory sales. It's more of a TLOU situation. Sony released TLOU at the tail end of the system's life. Right after it gained critical aclaim, the PS4 headed out the door. There's no question that the success of that game lended to the fantastic positive initial sales of the PS4, especially from those switching from the 360. Even now, the positive reception of the Wii U's library isn't going unnoticed. When you're down, that's when it's most important to throw your hardest punches.

Nintendo could always pull a Twilight Princess though and release it on both, but I still think it needs to release on the Wii U first.

So, you people say that Retro can't make a new Metroid Prime because lots of the developers that worked on the original trilogy are gone. Let's ignore the fact that this statement is complete bullshit (oh, the original team is almost gone, nobody in the entire world can replace them...). Instead, I'll go with this: Do you think that the same people who made the original Uncharted Trilogy, the original Mass Effect Trilogy or the first The Witcher are still in their respective teams? Some of them are, but others left long ago. Why you don't have a problem with them doing another entry on that franchises but you do with Retro Studios making a new Metroid? It doesn't make any sense!

bananaking21 said:
i have to disagree that Sony's shift was with the release of uncharted. it started a few years back and with more studios. Guerrilla Games was hired to make killzone (then became first party). SSM made GoW in 2005, Insomniac made resistance, and sucker punch was working on infamous. there was a big shift at Sony and while ND was a part of that shift, it wasnt the one that started it.

While I agree that the shift didn't start with Uncharted, I'd argue that it was most significant with Uncharted. Aside from God of War, the 1st party games were really just a handful of alright exclusive that most people didn't pay attention to. Uncharted was the one that made everybody look up.

It's like how Mario 64 wasn't the first 3D game, but it was the first to do it so right. Ocarina of Time wasn't the first 3D adventure game, but when it came out it sent shockwaves. Uncharted, even more than GoW, was that game for Sony. Not in terms of innovation, but definitely in terms of being a player in the game when it came to first party.

Yeah but is nintendo willing to take this risk? Making more expensive AAA games? Its easier for them making a cartoony looking game, not only because they want it that way and are good at it but also because its cheaper to produce and therefor more profitable them.

Retro is INCREDIBLY overrated.

In 17 years they have only made 5 games. 4 of those 5 are inferior clones (2 inferior Metroid Prime clones, and 2 inferior DKC clones).

Retro's games are rated highly only based on the license they are using. If they had made the games they did without those licenses, they would not be rated highly.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.