By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Studios should be Nintendo's Naughty Dog: Journey to the West

zorg1000 said:

I wasn't replying to u tho, I was replying to a person that essentially said, "Nintendo needs to grow up".

Riiiiiiiiight lol I was way ahead of myself. Didn't pay attention to the context of your post. My bad!

Around the Network
spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

I wasn't replying to u tho, I was replying to a person that essentially said, "Nintendo needs to grow up".

Riiiiiiiiight lol I was way ahead of myself. Didn't pay attention to the context of your post. My bad!

Haha no problem, I just edited that last post, what do u think of my idea on the first page?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

siavm said:
Playing me too is not something nintendo is going to do. They play by their own rules. And they help make the rules that have moved gaming over the years. Things change and what is hot today may not stay this way in a few years. So I rather them let the people they have make the light games. Because gaming is not just about mass murder. It is about playing fun games. Sure shooting is fun but I rather have different type of games that are fun then playing as some white guy in another open world that shooting people to the point it kind of just feels off. I like those games but I still like what nintendo does.

Nintendo is losing because they're playing by their own rules. I'm not saying that Retro should make an Uncharted clone, but Nintendo needs to have the same epiphone they had with smart phones. Their games are not selling their hardware. It's not enough. Frankly, they could maky ten AAA Nintendo games a month, and it would never be enough, because mainstream gamers don't want just those games. Until Nintendo "plays me too" and starts getting on the ball with the west, they will keep under performing.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but it literally doesn't matter what your preferance is. Nintendo only catering to you is literally killing their console business. Nintendo needs to do more than that, and Retro is by far the best studio they have that is equiped to do it. Somewhere down the line, Nintendo has to start playing ball with the rest of the industry. They don't have the foundation to only do what they want anymore. They have to start doing what everyone wants, too.

Splatoon is proof that they realizing that. So is XCX. So is Nintendo going mobile. All examples of Nintendo incrementally moving forward. Nintendo putting a stake in the west is arguably the most important.

daredevil.shark said:

@OP - If you have seen ND's 30 year anniversary then you will understand Sony and its philosophy. It didn't started with Uncharted. When PS2 was released Sony realized gamers are growing up. So they catered games around it. In Jak and daxter 1 jak used echo and in the third part he started using machine guns. Back in 2011 Sony told its internal studios to focus on mature type of games. Yes. They will still make games for younger audiences but grown up gamers are their main focus.

And another mistake of Nintendo is not to adapt. Back in 90s when donkey kong came out it was unique. But in front of ori and the blind forest, tearway or puppeteer it pales in comparison. Nintendo no longer has USP or unique selling proposition.

And that's frankly terrible. Why should platformer stars be using machine guns? It's basically a stereotype of the games industry and part of why that franchise was mishandled compared to Crash or Uncharted: both of those games at least knew who they were targeting.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

spemanig said:
KLXVER said:
Naughty Dog is Naughty Dog and Retro Studios is Retro Studios. I enjoy the variety of games from both of them. It would be sad to see one of them just copying the other...

I never once said "Retro should make games like ND." People are misunderstanding what I'm saying.

So you are not saying that Retro should make new mature IPs like ND?

Around the Network
spemanig said:
siavm said:
Playing me too is not something nintendo is going to do. They play by their own rules. And they help make the rules that have moved gaming over the years. Things change and what is hot today may not stay this way in a few years. So I rather them let the people they have make the light games. Because gaming is not just about mass murder. It is about playing fun games. Sure shooting is fun but I rather have different type of games that are fun then playing as some white guy in another open world that shooting people to the point it kind of just feels off. I like those games but I still like what nintendo does.

Nintendo is losing because they're playing by their own rules. I'm not saying that Retro should make an Uncharted clone, but Nintendo needs to have the same epiphone they had with smart phones. Their games are not selling their hardware. It's not enough. Frankly, they could maky ten AAA Nintendo games a month, and it would never be enough, because mainstream gamers don't want just those games. Until Nintendo "plays me too" and starts getting on the ball with the west, they will keep under performing.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but it literally doesn't matter what your preferance is. Nintendo only catering to you is literally killing their console business. Nintendo needs to do more than that, and Retro is by far the best studio they have that is equiped to do it. Somewhere down the line, Nintendo has to start playing ball with the rest of the industry. They don't have the foundation to only do what they want anymore. They have to start doing what everyone wants, too.

Splatoon is proof that they realizing that. So is XCX. So is Nintendo going mobile. All examples of Nintendo incrementally moving forward. Nintendo putting a stake in the west is arguably the most important.

So you want Nintendo to waste a lot of money on games that aren't going to make PS/X players jump ship anyway?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

zorg1000 said:

Haha no problem, I just edited that last post, what do u think of my idea on the first page?

While I think that's a good idea, I think that it's something that will take time. Nintendo definitely does need a place for sport and racing sims, but those feel secondary to the types of games people buy consoles for. I think that it's important for Nintendo to have those types of games without needing to depend on EA, 2K, or Konami, but I think that Nintendo right now and get people buying the NX first with blockbuster games.

That being said, I do think that Nintendo gains something from having your trifecta. Especially if they can do something to differenciate themselves from those other games. The biggest issue comes from licensing. There's no point in either if Nintendo can't get official player rosters or a good variety of cars. Problems like with Madden are glaring.

zorg1000 said:

Idk that's kinda like saying Pixar needs to stop making family-friendly animated films and start making more adult-oriented live action films. Their is a large market for the types of games Nintendo creates.

I also feel this, the one thing that irks me out of all of this discussion, especially with other Nintendo dicussions it aht they need to "adapt", now when I think of Adapt I think of adapting to the market but still being yourself, the way I'm seeing adapt on this forum is "here's Playstation, this is how they won (not really a win/other two hardly tried), Nintendo should totally emulate everything the winner does".

The last thing I expect or want from Nintendo is peach trying to pull a bayonetta to appeal to some crowd that's never been into Nintendo, this whole "let's dump one crowd for another that helps us adapt!" is another stupid made up reason to change, you can still change but hold the same exact appeal to the same crowd and still bring in new people, it happens every day for every company.

People need to stop warping the idea of adaptation and actually look into it a bit deeply, it;s not just copy and be like company A and they shouldn't have to even be like company A, it's like asking a cat to evolve and adapt to be more like a dog because the dog has better feet/bigger size, yet the two are totally different.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

KLXVER said:

I'm saying that Retro should make new western IPs to the perceived prestige of Naughty Dog.

spemanig said:
KLXVER said:

I'm saying that Retro should make new western IPs to the perceived prestige of Naughty Dog.

Why? If Nintendo really though that would be a good idea, then they would just buy a developer to do that...