By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem's new anime direction (RANT)

After seeing how Japanese'y and chiki chiki SMT x FE is I am now certain I am done with this franchise. The way nintendo just cok slaps its fans by changing everything on some series to appeal to a certain audience is annoying as fuk for the hardcore fans we appriciated their games since day one.

Fire emblem:awakening is the only franchise that sold more this generation than last. In fact, the franchise was in the verge of been scrapped entirily. This so called hardcore fan base did nothing for the serie it seems, so why should nintendo bother?

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Around the Network
ToraTiger said:

3.) The "waifus" literally made me want to pull my hair out at how stupid and unrealistic they acted. The whole game and all the female characters just came off as a 40 year old okatu's dream of marrying unrealistic anime women.   I honestly couldn't stand to listen to support  conversations, it was like I was reading a bad haram anime.

So then it's actually a good direction? :P

ToraTiger said:

3.) The "waifus" literally made me want to pull my hair out at how stupid and unrealistic they acted. The whole game and all the female characters just came off as a 40 year old okatu's dream of marrying unrealistic anime women.   I honestly couldn't stand to listen to support  conversations, it was like I was reading a bad haram anime.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

sundin13 said:
While I understand that there may have been a tonal shift, I do not think that made the series objectively weaker in any way. It is merely a question of taste and while it is unfortunate that the new Fire Emblems don't fit yours, I personally adore this direction, as it has some of the most interesting social elements I have ever experienced in a game.

On top of that there is the great combat and interesting story which really makes it feel like the complete package of amazing.

The combat is good, but dualstrike and pairing up is inconsistent as fuk, making the game 10x luck based as before.

And as for the tone, I dont think I ever heard a longtime FE fan say Awakening is the bet game in the series, its usually just the newbies who got  attracted to the game by the anime art and waifus.  Also, it would be fine if the the direction changed just for one game, but im certain this new basic cookie cutter anime style is gonna be a mainstay in the game, and not one thats leaving. 

They have successfully alienated every single one of the older fans with this new anime style that is repulsive and annoying to a lot of people. 

Slade6alpha said:
I never really understood the whole waifu thing... I thought it was a joke @_@

It is a joke, but not a funny one.  :P

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

ToraTiger said:

: If, I can honestly say I am so appaulded at how they pretty much changed the whole feel and tone of the game

It's "appalled."

I say this not to be a grammar nazi, but because I initally read this as applauded - which means something just a tad different - and I suspect I'm not the only one who did.

Around the Network
justiceiro said:

After seeing how Japanese'y and chiki chiki SMT x FE is I am now certain I am done with this franchise. The way nintendo just cok slaps its fans by changing everything on some series to appeal to a certain audience is annoying as fuk for the hardcore fans we appriciated their games since day one.

Fire emblem:awakening is the only franchise that sold more this generation than last. In fact, the franchise was in the verge of been scrapped entirily. This so called hardcore fan base did nothing for the serie it seems, so why should nintendo bother?

So its the fans fault they made a game with a niche fan base?  So fans have no right to be upset at the new harem anime direction that literally no one wants except anime fans?  Also I dont think it was entirely the new direction that made FE sell well, it was more the enviourment of the 3DS, the reviews it got, and the advertisting it had in Japan.  

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

ToraTiger said:

The combat is good, but dualstrike and pairing up is inconsistent as fuk, making the game 10x luck based as before.

And as for the tone, I dont think I ever heard a longtime FE fan say Awakening is the bet game in the series, its usually just the newbies who got  attracted to the game by the anime art and waifus.  Also, it would be fine if the the direction changed just for one game, but im certain this new basic cookie cutter anime style is gonna be a mainstay in the game, and not one thats leaving. 

They have successfully alienated every single one of the older fans with this new anime style that is repulsive and annoying to a lot of people. 

I don't recall any issues with Dual Strike...do you understand how the system works? While there is a degree of odds involved, it is a very strong system which works to enhance social mechanics and add value to developing relationships. I would like for you to elaborate on this point, because if your only argument is that it is percentage based, that is a very weak argument.

As for the tonal shift, as I stated, it is a taste thing. The new tone is not objective worse or better than the old tone simply because you don't like it.

Also, that last sentence is so broad and sweeping that it will be best for both of us if we were to just pretend it was never said.

Edit: With the amount of Anime type avatars and signatures on this site, I'm certain I've come to the wrong site to bash on anime cliches appearing in old and well loved franchises. But my point remains, nothing about the characters, setting, or story even remotely comes close to one of the good older FE games like the first one with Ike and Sacred Stones

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

ToraTiger said:
Johnw1104 said:

Art direction/story can certainly be a turnoff. That's one of the things that turned me off to Final Fantasy... I knew I'd reached the end of my FF career during FF X when I found myself turning the TV screen off during certain cutscenes as the thought of my father seeing it embarrassed the heck out of me.

That seemingly endless scene with Tidus and Yuna playing around in some lake at night with some corny romance song going in the background... That was my limit.

Thankfully Fire Emblem's changes have not yet been nearly so dramatic and they're still great games, but I've been wary ever since ffx lol

Btw, I don't mean to offend anyone who likes the path FF has gone down... If that's you thing then great! The transitions from the sprites and less linear gameplay of NES/SNES to whatever you call FFX on was a bit much for me (though FFXI was fun :D)

So off topic... My bad.

Good post brah, and I agree to a degree.  Final Fantasy X is pretty much the only final Fantasy game like that with all the lovey stuff and hot anime chicks.  FF XII was amazing and got me back into the series.  13 was a dissapointment.

But going through the history of FF, you would know that romance always played a big part in the games, not so much with FE beside one on the SNES, and the characters were never anime-esque to the point were literally every character was a cliche like they are in Awakening

I'm holding out hope for 15 to get me back into it.

For the record I have nothing against romance/emotion and such in games when it's done right... Heck, even with the poor translations I found the emotional trauma Delita went through losing his sister and Ramza struggled with as his relationships with his best friend was strained and brothers were irrevocably severed to be very moving. Likewise, Zidane and Garnet were great, and I've never felt such concern and sympathy for a character as I did Vivi. FFVII and VI are obvious enough to not require explanation.

But yes, the problem arises when they began focusing less on dialogue and more on visuals... It often felt like I was being forced to watch a poorly acted film that I had to sit back and cringe at for long stretches of time.

Essentially, they leave less and less to the imagination which, obviously, is only a positive if you like the direction they're headed. Despite how talented Square Enix is (I feel they and Blizzard far and away produce the best cinematics in gaming) it sometimes seems to me that the increased graphical capabilities of consoles was the worst thing that could have happened to the FF franchise.

I'm not yet convinced that Fire Emblem will head down that road to the same degree, and I personally certainly hope it doesn't... I don't think it a coincidence that Final Fantasy's popularity began to wane in NA as they made these changes.

ToraTiger said:
Edit: With the amount of Anime type avatars and signatures on this site, I'm certain I've come to the wrong site to bash on anime cliches appearing in old and well loved franchises. But my point remains, nothing about the characters, setting, or story even remotely comes close to one of the good older FE games like the first one with Ike and Sacred Stones 

I understood my life was potentially forfeit the moment I spoke ill of Final Fantasy. I wish you luck.

sundin13 said:
ToraTiger said:

I don't recall any issues with Dual Strike...do you understand how the system works? While there is a degree of odds involved, it is a very strong system which works to enhance social mechanics and add value to developing relationships. I would like for you to elaborate on this point, because if your only argument is that it is percentage based, that is a very weak argument.

As for the tonal shift, as I stated, it is a taste thing. The new tone is not objective worse or better than the old tone simply because you don't like it.

Also, that last sentence is so broad and sweeping that it will be best for both of us if we were to just pretend it was never said.

I know how it works, its a chance percentage, but it never says how much, you pretty much just have to see if it happens.  Same for the bodyblocking while in pairs. 

As for the last point, look at the comments on SMT x FE on Nintendo's youtube channel, and see how many old time fans are getting aleniated by this new anime direction. 

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew