By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why aren't more games being made for the 3DS?

Skullwaker said:
Hiku said:
Which games do you have?

I have Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, Pokemon X, Mario Kart 7, Project X Zone, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Phoenix Wright 5, Phoenix Wright vs. professor Layton, Zelda: A Link between Worlds. Also plan to pick up SMT4, and Majora's Mask among games that are already out.
For me personally I experienced a slowdown in games that interest me pretty much right after I bought the console. Compared to the many great games that had already come out during its then short 2 years on the market. Though personal tastes asside, I think it's clear that it is simply getting less releases as of late, and that may very well be because it's nearing the end of its lifecycle. But it's a bit strange that games like Resident Revelations 2 are not on 3DS, when they even put it on the Vita. Why do you think that is?

If no more games come out (not even Fire Emblem if or Bravely 2) then I wouldn't say I'd feel very satisfied. However, I wouldn't be completely let down either. I got the console when it was on sale for $130, so 11 or so games for that price isn't bad. Though in comparison I have about 40+ games for my PS3 that I paid $210 for.

FE: Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Bravely Default, Pokemon Y, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Majora's Mask 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, A Link Between Worlds and Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Plan on picking up SMT IV, Xenoblade 3D, some Layton and Wright games, etc. in the near future.

I have no idea why Revelations 2 isn't on 3DS, especially when the first one sold so well. Maybe Capcom is just an asshole, lol.

They wanted to reach more platforms so they can sell more there instead of just one platform. Also Handhelds are declining so its not future proof to have a series on that instead they wanted to move to future proof platforms to gain sales and fans for the future games. They could have done a port but 3DS is too weak to to port a Home console game made for PS4/XB1 in mind so you have blame Nintenod for having such a weak harware and differnet artchitecture with development tools. Now nintendo trying to foucs on good development tools for handheld ports but they its too late as handhelds are being domniated by Mobiles/Tablets slowly and will be more in future considering Level 5 support of their games in mobiles and Nintendo want to license their games to mobile where there is big growth.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Dr.Vita said:
I would say Third-Party games don't sell on Nintendo hardware.

Oh Really? Should i pull up a list now? :0

Go ahead, the best selling third party 3DS game is Monster Hunter 4 with a mere 3.4 million retail sales. The 3DS isn't an attractive platform to these developers because the audience simply isn't there.

Hiku said:
Materia-Blade said:
Hiku said:

What I mentioned in my OP and the post you quoted was that it started quite a bit before the console reached 4 years old. Just looking at the number of releases for the years in the west. If this just began now, I wouldn't be as surprised. Though I'd still be surprised that it misses games like Resident Evil: Revelations 2 even now. I don't see the reason for this, no matter how old the console is.

It only started late 2014, when it was already 3 and a half years old. and it's not like there are few games coming, only less than before.

No, there has consistently been less releases for the console with each passing year since its release.
So the decline started since Day 1. And 2014 saw about half the number of releases compared to the 3DS's debute year, which wasn't even a full year as it released in March 2011 in the west.

2011 - 95
2012 - 76 (80%)
2013 - 72 (75%)
2014 - 53 (55%)
2015 - 21 (22%) (Including announced upcoming games.)

The fact that every year has been significantly worse than the debute year (which wasn't even a full year) is a bad sign. It never had a better year after release, in spite of a price cut and XL version to increase the install base.
There are likely more games to be announced for 2015, but it's really not looking good right now. For a 4 year old console, that's an extremey low number. Especially considering its 50m install base. And there's no excuse for missing out on the sequel to the game that originated on the system, RE: Revelations. Especially when Vita, well into it's 4th year and with only a 5th of the 3DS's install base is getting it.

seems like a very small difference untill 2014. nintendo did it's job, third parties are the one that didn't release as much games as on ds.

tbone51 said:
MikeRox said:

Ridge Racer 3D is actually really good. It was just a shame other than that all I can think of that was released was Need for Speed The Run which was shocking.

I enjoy Killzone Mercs and Strangers Wrath as portable FPS games. Uncharted and Earth Defence Force are good TPS too. This is why I am so meh over the directions the portable systems have taken. KZ M especially is a massive tease as to what could have been :( I even had fun with Metroid Prime: Hunters.

Isn't Moon getting a 3DS sequel or remake soon?

The games you listed aren't really what I would call diverse. Not denying they're good games.

TPS

Best HH game ever! Amazingly good, an interesting and fun cast of characters + story. 4th Wall breaking and so much content. This underrated gem only because u need to play the game differently than normal. If this game ws ported to the wiiu, then we be in business. 

Kid ikarus isn't a shooter. it has on rail shooter parts but it's mostly a third person action game.

ryuzaki57 said:
tbone51 said:

(1) the audience is not there ⇒⇒⇒ 50mil isnt there? (or count 40mil)

(2) games are priced lower ⇒⇒⇒ What does this even mean???

(3) hardware is weak  ⇒⇒⇒ because Vita is doing so well?

1. Install base hardly matters if people don't buy the games. Most publishers are making PS games because they know the audience is more inclined to spend money on their games.

2. That means like... you know, if I sell a product for 7000 yens, I'm richer than if I sell it for 5000.

3. I was talking processing power and capabilities of course

Besides, my article is not biaised. It's an absolutely objective analysis leading to the conclusion that 3rd parties will increasingly develop for PS platforms and withdraw from Nintendo platforms. Thing that is happening right now, hence this thread. 

The ps audience isn't any more inclined to buy games than nintendo's. they can price their game however they want, but the reason 3ds games are generally cheaper is because they cost less to develop. Hardware proved to be a non factor time and time again. 

Around the Network
Hiku said:
biglittlesps said:
Skullwaker said:

FE: Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Bravely Default, Pokemon Y, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Majora's Mask 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, A Link Between Worlds and Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Plan on picking up SMT IV, Xenoblade 3D, some Layton and Wright games, etc. in the near future.

I have no idea why Revelations 2 isn't on 3DS, especially when the first one sold so well. Maybe Capcom is just an asshole, lol.

They wanted to reach more platforms so they can sell more there instead of just one platform. Also Handhelds are declining so its not future proof to have a series on that instead they wanted to move to future proof platforms to gain sales and fans for the future games. They could have done a port but 3DS is too weak to to port a Home console game made for PS4/XB1 in mind so you have blame Nintenod for having such a weak harware and differnet artchitecture with development tools. Now nintendo trying to foucs on good development tools for handheld ports but they its too late as handhelds are being domniated by Mobiles/Tablets slowly and will be more in future considering Level 5 support of their games in mobiles and Nintendo want to license their games to mobile where there is big growth.

Revelations 2 is coming to Vita though (Q2 2015), so they are taking the time to adapt the game to weaker hardware. While there is a power difference between Vita and 3DS, it's not nearly as big as between PS4 and Vita, so it's a bit odd that they're skipping the console where there already is a fanbase for the series thanks to the first game originating on the console.

However it looks like the difference between the Vita and PS3 isn't too bad. The reason for the delay though is that its Sony porting it to Vita like they did Borderlands 2.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Hiku said:
MikeRox said:

However it looks like the difference between the Vita and PS3 isn't too bad. The reason for the delay though is that its Sony porting it to Vita like they did Borderlands 2.

Interesting.
So perhaps it would be up to Nintendo to port it to 3DS then?

If I were to guess, I think maybe Nintendo was opposed to the episodic releases and said "all or nothing". Or something, seems like something Nintendo would be opposed to also seeing like it's also not on WiiU. A shame really, I would have bought that on 3DS.

Hiku said:
MikeRox said:

Interesting.
So perhaps it would be up to Nintendo to port it to 3DS then?

Its how Sony are keeping Vita titles ticking over. Though looking at the shit they get here I'm sure most people are convinced Sony do nothing to get content on Vita now.

There's no reason Nintendo couldn't have got these on either 3DS or Wii U. But I don't think they wanted to invest the resources.

@S.Peelman I don't think the Vita release will be episodic. I think it's out all in one. But I doubt it'll see a physical release.

It's interesting though as tell tale have also stopped putting stuff out on Nintendo formats even though they release on Vita and they supported the Wii pretty strongly so something seems to have changed in 3rd party relationships with Nintendo.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

bouzane said:
tbone51 said:

Oh Really? Should i pull up a list now? :0

Go ahead, the best selling third party 3DS game is Monster Hunter 4 with a mere 3.4 million retail sales. The 3DS isn't an attractive platform to these developers because the audience simply isn't there.

We are talking HHs though righ? Its not in the same league as HC bro. Look up all HH SW sales for comparison^

Hiku said:

Well there's a retail full version of Revelations 2 as well, going for $39 on all consoles.
http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-Revelations-2-PlayStation-3/dp/B00NMR3RIA/ref=sr_1_1_twi_3_gam?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1428510530&sr=1-1&keywords=resident+evil+revelations+2

Then I don't know either :-| ...