By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why aren't more games being made for the 3DS?

Hiku said:
Materia-Blade said:
Hiku said:

Yes, because there has been a decline in the number of games comign out for it for quite a while now. And while I'm mentioning subjective views, this is also about the issue in general, as they're usually correlated.
I want to hear what people think both from a general standpoint, and from their own experience. Or they can even comment on my taste if they want. It's not that complicated. Just say whatever you want on the subject. If you read some of the other replies in the thread, you'll get the idea.

n that case, I have an answer: the 3ds is 4 years old. It's natural to have a decline in releases and we'll probably have a 3ds successor next year.

What I mentioned in my OP and the post you quoted was that it started quite a bit before the console reached 4 years old. Just looking at the number of releases for the years in the west. If this just began now, I wouldn't be as surprised. Though I'd still be surprised that it misses games like Resident Evil: Revelations 2 even now. I don't see the reason for this, no matter how old the console is.

It only started late 2014, when it was already 3 and a half years old. and it's not like there are few games coming, only less than before.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
gigaSheik said:

3DS is tracking around 30% less than its predecessor during the same period of time. That's a hell of an impact. If the next Nintendo system follow this same route it will sell 35 million during the same period of time. It's not critical yet but not a pretty picture for the future of the handhelds.

but look at the OP, says we got games before so it has nothing to do with the decline in this discussion. HHs arent dead even if the next HH sold at 35mil.

They'll be dead in terms of good high quality third party games go.  If you are strictly a Nintendo fan you can enjoy to your hearts content for many years to come, but if you also enjoy good HQ third party games you will need to go elsewhere.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Hey tbone, got any lists of good portable racing games and FPS/TPS?

This has been the biggest issue for me with the 3DS. It has Nintendo stuff and its great, but if you want anything else your options really really dry up. The library lacks diversity.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Hey tbone, got any lists of good portable racing games and FPS/TPS?

This has been the biggest issue for me with the 3DS. It has Nintendo stuff and its great, but if you want anything else your options really really dry up. The library lacks diversity.

Trust me, you don't want to play FPS or TPS on a 3DS.

There's plenty of diversity.

It has some decent third party support in Bravely Default, Bravely Second, Youkai Watch 1-3 (coming next year to the West), Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Persona Q, Resident Evil Revelations, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Shantea, Shovel Knight, etc.

But yeah, it deserves a lot more, but Western developers are just not interested...

As for racing games, can't think of anything other than Mario Kart 7.

Ridge Racer 3D is actually really good. It was just a shame other than that all I can think of that was released was Need for Speed The Run which was shocking.

I enjoy Killzone Mercs and Strangers Wrath as portable FPS games. Uncharted and Earth Defence Force are good TPS too. This is why I am so meh over the directions the portable systems have taken. KZ M especially is a massive tease as to what could have been :( I even had fun with Metroid Prime: Hunters.

Isn't Moon getting a 3DS sequel or remake soon?

The games you listed aren't really what I would call diverse. Not denying they're good games.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Because the golden age for 3ds vas 2013.

Since 2014, it looks like most of devs go for the Vita instead, who fill much their "niche" market.

3ds catalog is really poor since 2014, except for Atlus games, and maybe one or another dev like square-enix.

PSV getting niche games instead of 3ds but 3ds still get the bigger IP

There are more than enough games on the 3DS. What's missing compared to the DS is all that shovelware from 3rd Parties like Project Rub and countless Brain Training things. Those went to mobile, because why should people target 50 million people with those games when they can reach 2 billion people on iOS and Android?

But honestly, you won't miss these "games".

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

MikeRox said:

Ridge Racer 3D is actually really good. It was just a shame other than that all I can think of that was released was Need for Speed The Run which was shocking.

I enjoy Killzone Mercs and Strangers Wrath as portable FPS games. Uncharted and Earth Defence Force are good TPS too. This is why I am so meh over the directions the portable systems have taken. KZ M especially is a massive tease as to what could have been :( I even had fun with Metroid Prime: Hunters.

Isn't Moon getting a 3DS sequel or remake soon?

The games you listed aren't really what I would call diverse. Not denying they're good games.

TPS

Best HH game ever! Amazingly good, an interesting and fun cast of characters + story. 4th Wall breaking and so much content. This underrated gem only because u need to play the game differently than normal. If this game ws ported to the wiiu, then we be in business. 

tbone51 said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Because :
- the audience is not there
- games are priced lower
- hardware is weak

I wrote an article on that not so long ago

https://ryuz4ki57inenglish.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/in-japan-the-illusion-of-nintendomination/

(1) the audience is not there ⇒⇒⇒ 50mil isnt there? (or count 40mil)

(2) games are priced lower ⇒⇒⇒ What does this even mean???

(3) hardware is weak  ⇒⇒⇒ because Vita is doing so well?

1. Install base hardly matters if people don't buy the games. Most publishers are making PS games because they know the audience is more inclined to spend money on their games.

2. That means like... you know, if I sell a product for 7000 yens, I'm richer than if I sell it for 5000.

3. I was talking processing power and capabilities of course

Besides, my article is not biaised. It's an absolutely objective analysis leading to the conclusion that 3rd parties will increasingly develop for PS platforms and withdraw from Nintendo platforms. Thing that is happening right now, hence this thread.