By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you still play and buy older games?

Do you still play and buy older games?

yes i play older games on... 97 64.24%

yes i use emulators on newer devices 36 23.84%

only if they are ported t... 9 5.96%

no i only play new games ... 9 5.96%

i sold off my ps3 and xbox 360 0 0%

Total:151

All the time.

I own the classic Nintendo consoles like NES, SNES, and N64, and play them rather frequently.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Been playing Mario Party 2 since 1999.

I prefer older games over new ones, and because I missed out on so many I've always got one running. Since I haven't bought a PS4 yet, I've been playing older games for the most part (Kingdom Hearts, Front Mission 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga, etc), and I'll probably always have one running on the side.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

I'm a bit of a mix. For some games i really really like, i will go out and buy the original copy of the game but for collectors purpose.

When it comes to PS classics i will buy either HD remasters or what evers on the PS store. i dont really use emulators so if the game isnt on the ps store but i have it then i'll pop the disc in the system.

For Nintendo, i havent really used the eshop much nor do i really want to so i usually set up the original system if i feel like playing the older games. However since Zelda Oot and MM have been remastered, im more then happy to play those instead.

When it comes to the more obsure games then i guess i'd have to use an emulator.

Chris Hu said:
Turkish said:
Conina said:

My old consoles (N64, PS1, GameCube, Xbox) are still connected to my old Sony-CRT in a spare room:

But I don't buy old retail games for them anymore.

On the other hand I still buy some PS1 games for my Vita (they look much better on the small display than on a big TV) and many PC classics on Steam + GOG.com; many classics which are ported to iOS as well.

PS1 games for my Vita: Final Fantasy 6 - 9, Crash Bandicoot 1 - 3, Spyro 1 - 3, Silent Hill, Vagrant Story, Rayman 1 + 2, Gex 3D, Pandemonium 1 + 2, Kula World, Soul Reaver

My favorite classics on GOG/Steam (too many to lst them all): all LucasArts-Adventures, Gabriel Knight 1 - 3, Larry 1 - 7, Space Quest 1 - 6, Quest for Glory 1 - 5, Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword 1 - 3, The Longest Journey, Tex Murphy 1 - 5, Ultima Collection, D&D Anthology, Pirates! Gold, Tomb Raider Collection

Trinitron: check

Shenmue: check

my man... no Dreamcast? WUUUUUT

That is Shenmue 2 on the original X-Box it also included a recap of the first game on a seperate disc.  Plus the game included a couple of bonus features that wheren't in the Dreamcast version.

I obviously know that and I never talked about the xbox. I was disappointed becuz there's no Dreamcast.

Though I did emulate them illegally a few years ago because that was free and easy, I've started to buy them digitally now as I've gotten older. It also helps that a lot of the games can be found dirt cheap on sales sometimes. I just bought Katamari Damacy a few weeks ago for a $1 and that was really fun to experience the first time.

Around the Network

I still buy older games, as far back as Atari 2600, but i rarely play them anymore. They're mostly for my collection.

I buy some older titles (for example the original Crash trilogy), but only digital.

Yeah, infact I'm finally playing through all the original crash right now, and let's just say it's harder than I guessed. I've also just finished playing the second crash. 

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

I used to buy, collect and play them regularly until a few years back.

Yes. I've purchased both PS2 and Dreamcast titles in the last month. I've played everything from Xbox, GCN, PS2, DC on original discs to NES, SNES, GBA, N64, etc. via virtual console. Just finished "Silent Hill" for PSX on my PS2.

I've previously sold all systems prior to the Dreamcast so anything before that is played either on my Wii U/3DS (VC) or emulated on a Dingoo A320...

EDIT: I'm kidding, of course: I would never pirate games that aren't commercially available anymore ;)

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7