By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - They've left the Wii U to die.

Is the Wii U doomed?

Yes 586 59.19%

No 404 40.81%

Total:990
Cloudman said:
I don't get why them delaying Zelda U means they're abandoning the Wii U. Many games have gotten delayed to assure the product is as best as can be. Why is it when Zelda U's delayed, it means doom? 

Because it's the only remaining heavy hitter for the system. Everything else is either niche or small-to-medium scale.

With Zelda, the system could at least go out with, well, maybe not a bang, but a plucky growl. Now it looks like it will taper off with a whimper.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Cloudman said:
I don't get why them delaying Zelda U means they're abandoning the Wii U. Many games have gotten delayed to assure the product is as best as can be. Why is it when Zelda U's delayed, it means doom? 

Because it's the only remaining heavy hitter for the system. Everything else is either niche or small-to-medium scale.

With Zelda, the system could at least go out with, well, maybe not a bang, but a plucky growl. Now it looks like it will taper off with a whimper.

But then your dissapointment is coming because you are not going to see a huge boost in sales for WiiU this year? Is a matter of sales? Are you really not hyped for any WiiU game this year. Because I know you are. THe delay of Zelda only hurts the sales, but they are all the bad that they can be so doesn´t matter anymore. IMO.

Goodnightmoon said:
curl-6 said:

But then your dissapointment is coming because you are not going to see a huge boost in sales for WiiU this year? Is a matter of sales? Are you really not hyped for any WiiU game this year. Because I know you are. THe delay of Zelda only hurts the sales, but they are all the bad that they can be so doesn´t matter anymore. IMO.

Not just sales; it's also about the console getting one of its most important games sooner rather than later or not at all. I'm still very much hyped for Xenoblade, Yoshi, and Splatoon, but I need more than just a few key releases per year.

curl-6 said:
Cloudman said:

That isn't to say that there is nothing else coming besides Zelda U this holiday season. There could be something else announced that will be great too at E3, or just later this year. You never know. I also think this does a disservice to the other games coming out this year. They may not be Zelda, but they could be great games on their own.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Locknuts said:

I think it's time to face it guys: Nintendo has left their main console to die.

Sadly after the atrocious Wii and the abandonment of the potentially wonderful Wii U, I don't ever see myself buying another piece of Nintendo hardware.

The Zelda delay is the writing on the wall people. The Wii U is now officially doomed. I hope like hell that XCX and Splatoon are all they're cracked up to be, because they're the last major games we're going to see until the next system comes out.

No, that could said if Nintendo done what Sony done to Vita, Nintendo is still making and releasing Wii U games, this year and ceartany next year too.

Your lost, Wii U have mane great Nintendo games and more are coming, that could say for their next sistem too.

About Zelda U delayed

Reminder: Nintendo Is Always Delaying Major Zelda Games

http://kotaku.com/reminder-nintendo-has-been-delaying-zelda-games-for-de-1694170626

And we will see more new Nintendo Wii U games that are not announced yet, w8 for E3.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Not just sales; it's also about the console getting one of its most important games sooner rather than later or not at all. I'm still very much hyped for Xenoblade, Yoshi, and Splatoon, but I need more than just a few key releases per year.

Man you have been totally sodden by the negativity of internet if you really believe that Zelda is skipping the WiiU...

That´s not happening , Aonuma says clearly that they are making the definitive Zelda for WiiU, there´s no doubts about the game coming to WiiU, that´s crap that people on the forums says.

Cloudman said:
curl-6 said:

That isn't to say that there is nothing else coming besides Zelda U this holiday season. There could be something else announced that will be great too at E3, or just later this year. You never know. I also think this does a disservice to the other games coming out this year. They may not be Zelda, but they could be great games on their own.

I would love to believe this, but honestly, Nintendo's recent behaviour scares me. It seems like nothing is safe anymore. I wake one day and bam, Zelda is not just delayed, but won't even be at E3, this coming just weeks after the announcement of a new platform and a deal to enter the mobile market.

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised to wake up tomorrow and find Nintendo have entered a deal with Apple to make all their games iPhone exclusive or some outlandish nonsense. It feels like all bets are off and anything and everything can and will happen.

Locknuts said:

Since the birth of the Gameboy, Nintendos main console, and money maker, are the handhelds. Their strategy (if there really exists a strategy) works for handhelds but not that much for home consoles (except the first years of the Wii). 

To the average person who buys around 5 games per console, Wii U is the best. You can't just expect Nintendo themselves to satisfy all your needs as a game addict and say their hardware failed otherwise.

Locknuts said:

Even with the billions they made from the Wii/DS era, and after they saw that they couldn't develop HD games fast enough, they didn't do what was necessary to ensure that the Wii U had a steady flow of content. They should have done as Sony did with the PS3 and paid out the ass to save their reputation as a hardware manufacturer.

They should have paid for content. Plain and simple. GTA, Far Cry, Bioshock, all those big western games. But Iwata seems to be too much of a tightass to spend money on anything that Nintendo doesn't at least partially own. Does that make good business sense? Well Iwata is the businessman and I guess he thinks so, but as a customer I'm not confident enough in their next system to buy it. Sadly after the atrocious Wii and the abandonment of the potentially wonderful Wii U, I don't ever see myself buying another piece of Nintendo hardware.

The Zelda delay is the writing on the wall people. The Wii U is now officially doomed. I hope like hell that XCX and Splatoon are all they're cracked up to be, because they're the last major games we're going to see until the next system comes out.

I think the latest round of reasons that people believe that the WiiU failed is just that.  People look at what is missing today (software) and think that if we just had 4-5 big multi-plats or 3-4 more big Nintendo published titles, the WiiU would be a success.  That couldn't be further from the truth.  Software is only a small factor in this disaster.  If all of  the above games came out the WiiU might have had 2 million more sales spread out over the time at best.

The real reasons the WiiU failed are much bigger and way more obvious:

1. It was named Wii anything - Attaching it to the Wii name was a HUGE mistake.  The Wii was considered a complete fad by most casuals and media people.  If anything, the Wii is thought of as a one or two trick pony (Wii Sports or Wii Fitness) by the masses.  It is actually the complete lack of power and features in the Wii that doomed the WiiU.  THe Wii in the WiiU name still confuses people.  They think it is an add on or just another version of the Wii repackaged.  

2. The games look similar - at first glance, the average person thinks the games are the same or similar to the Wii games.  This kind of goes with your point that "next gen" games are not on the WiiU.

3. The controllers are the same(besides the tablet that is big and bulky) - People didn't like the controllers on the Wii, why would they want to use them again on the WiiU?  Even though most people complain about the tablet(and its cost), the fact that you use the regular Wii controllers is just crazy.  The tablet still makes it look like the WiiU is an add on to the Wii.

4. No Bluray - If you want to convince people that you are next gen, bring the 8 year old media format at least.  This is seemingly a small factor, but it contributes to the basic theory that the WiiU is a games only machine.

5. Games Only??? - Even though most of the forum dwellers here are hard core gamers, the general public are casuals.  Now a days, every device that you buy can do way more than one thing well.  Big Nintendo fans applaud Nintendo for making a "gaming" console.  But, the lack of multi-media hurts.  Heck, the WiiU can do streaming and internet, but if you were look at the advertising and packaging, you wouldn't even know it.  Even the menu system kind of deters you from it.  Casuals want a LOT more than just gaming from their console.  Why do you think that the XB1 can still sell?  It has all of the features that anyone could want in a console(maybe a few they may never want), but it is clearly less powerful than the PS4.  yet, it is still selling pretty well.

6. Not enough Games - Your point on the games rings true.  If the WiiU had all of the multiplats somehow, it would have atleast looked like a real choice for the casuals who wanted just one gaming console.

7. Lack of Power - The lack of power in the system is the biggest flaw, as it makes almost all of the other points happen in a way.

I am sure their are differing opinions, but the software is just a small part of the problems with the WiiU.

It is near the end of the end....