By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U delayed until 2016, will not be at E3

thismeintiel said:
Soundwave said:
thismeintiel said:

Each one of those is from a console that launched later in its respective gen, with the only exception is the DS, which really only launched so early because they didn't want Sony to take over the handheld market like they did with the PS1.  So, it's not really surprising they would have a shorter timespan before a successor launched.  It's also important to note that the Master System and Xbox were Sega and MS's first real attempts at console gaming.  We're talking about a console that launched a year earlier than its competitors and after a highly successful system.  The Wii U's situation would more closely resemble the Saturn's.  Launching ahead of its competition and after the highly successful Genesis.

The real problem Nintendo faces is that it's home consoles have been declining in demand among core gamers from the beginning.  NES 62M > SNES 49M > N64 33M > GC 22M.  Wii U may continue this trend and sell ~20M, less if they jump ship early.  The only exception to this trend was the Wii.  But that had the added benefit of taking advantage of the growing casual market, something that has, for the most part, either gone to cell phones or just stopped gaming, and is not coming back.  And its success definitely did not stop the success of the systems more focused on core gaming.

If Nintendo was smart, it would just abandon home console gaming and stick to handheld gaming, focusing all of their major exclusives on 3DS2.  Or if it wanted to put out some more ambitious titles, occassionally dabble in 3rd party publishing. 

Nintendo's situation is not like Sega, in actuality Sega's situation really was nothing like anything in the industry. 

They launched the Sega CD in 1992 for $300 ... which was double the price of the Genesis at the time would be $474 in today's dollars (think about that for a second). After 2 years of wishy washy support for the Sega CD, they then launched the Sega 32X, which they supported for oh ... three months. 

They then "surprise" launched the Sega Saturn out of nowhere in spring 1995, just seven months after the Sega 32X. 

And they basically gave up on the Saturn by 1998 (they tried through fall 1997 with that three free games Saturn promotion and basically threw in the towel after). 

So no. People who play the "Sega card" need to actualy do their home work. 

And really, even after *all* that (lol), they actually had a very solid Dreamcast launch, the Dreamcast fell apart once it was clear Sega couldn't financially support it. 

The NX platform could basically addresses your later point ... by having a platform that shares games between portable and home console, they basically are "going handheld" but still can enjoy the perks of having a dedicated console (ie: sales of controllers and accessories). 

While Sega was foolish with the Genesis add-ons, doesn't really change my point. The Wii U also had a solid launch.  But, just like with the Dreamcast, things change when a competitor has a more wanted product.  And no, a NX platform would just mean there is even less reason to own the home console, since any of its games can just be played on the handheld. This would cause unecessary costs of producing an unwanted home console and its various peripherals.

Nintendo needs to focus on handheld gaming and try to stop the decline there.  Otherwise they may start losing their real cash cow.  Nintendos best bet would be to make a decently powerful handheld.  Throw a mini-HDMI port on it and allow games to be played with Bluetooth controllers for TV gaming.  This would also mean no more droughts and plenty of 3rd party support.

I think they are kind of doing what you're suggesting in that last paragraph, but just without the HDMI port. Just like Apple doesn't give you an iPad for free just because you own an iPhone, Nintendo will still expect to to buy a seperate console to play those same games on the TV. 

I mean heck even with the Vita ... you still have to buy a PS Vita to buy the games on TV. 

Companies generally tend not to give away added functionality if they know they can get away with charging seperately for it. 

But in terms of shared library and no more/less droughts ... yeah I think that's happening. 

Around the Network

Nintendo. Are you serious? As big Zelda fan, please, don't insult me. Don't tell me that you can't spare 5 minutes to show some new footage. Only handful of hardcore fans is all you have at the moment and now you're really pushing it. First the delay, which wasn't a shocker but it still hurts, and now this? Don't be stupid.

Soundwave said:
Tachikoma said:
The "not at e3" part is worrying to me, makes me question the 2016 launch, too.

Zelda XIII Versus: The Last Triforce Guardian 3

Confirmed ;)

Fixed it for the ultimate title.

Haha, didn't know I could get online in my dreams. I hope I wake up soon because this is a terrible nightmare.

we dont even have a title yet. Weird

Around the Network

well, they will replace it with Metroid series and Pokemon open world RPG,.................not gonna happen Lol, but at least a man can dream

tbone51 said:
curl-6 said:

Here's the problem with snubbing the Wii U userbase though; it's small, but it's comprised of their most loyal followers, the diehards who have stuck with them through thick and thin.
Nintendo risks alienating this base at their own peril, for if they lose the loyalists, they may well find themselves without any base at all. It would be the end of them.

Not with HH still doing 40mil+. Even if Consoles failed, imagine all their resources for that. Nintendo wont end easily at all :)

It's a discussion I've had too many times to want to repeat it, but I don't think dedicated handheld gaming has a future. It's a dying species.

Tachikoma said:
DélioPT said:
Don't know if anyone said this (skipped more than one hundred posts), but i think i know where the delay might come from.

This is what Aonuma said in 2013:
"Our mission in developing this new Zelda game for Wii U is quite plainly to rethink the conventions of Zelda. I'm referring to things like the expectation that the player is supposed to complete dungeons in a certain order, or that you're supposed to play by yourself."

We already Aonuma talk about the dungeon part but we never heard anything about not playing alone part.

Something came to mind: the new Nintendo network made by DeNa.
It's a platform that will connect several devices includin Wii U! Problem is that the new online infrastructure won't be coming out before Fall.

What if Aonuma and his team saw what the infrastructure would allow for and came up with even better ideas for that second goal?
If that is the case, it could explain why the game will not make the 2015 release date.

All the existing online play wiiu titles seem to contradict this theory entirely,  as does miiverse. 

It's not much a theory as it is speculation.
It's really hard to know exactly if i'm wrong or right because we didn't even know what Aonuma meant and we don't even know what they are adding on.

I just thought it might make sense if it was because of the new account system, with people being able to use other devices for something and then transferring whatever happened to the game through the account. Something like that.

I don't think co-op or leaving messages like in ZombiU - if that was what you meant - was the only thing that Aonuma had in mind.
Miiverse is still too restrictive.

Sorry to hear and that sucks for nintendo only gamers but im super glad it got delayed. i have so many great things to play this year that it was looking crowded :$ hopefully by the time zelda u or star fox u release, nintendo drop the price.

I also knew zelda wouldnt release this year, i even have doubts about star fox as well. They really havent shown much of either game for me to be confident that theu will be 2015 games.

shinsa said:

I also knew zelda wouldnt release this year, i even have doubts about star fox as well. They really havent shown much of either game for me to be confident that theu will be 2015 games.

They did say to expect Star Fox before LoZ, so if Star Fox doesn't release this year November 2016 for Zelda U it is.