By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Indiana Governer signs bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
pokymon90 said:

My opinion is you can turn away anybody you want. Why not? You are providing a product and should be able to control where that product goes. Like if I own a video game store I can deny the kid that is acting stuck up and moronic and instead sell my product to somebody who actually acts like a nice person. You own the items/services, you can decide where/how/when/and why it goes. Does it really matter if the racist assholes deny a black person service, or the Catholic church denies gay couples service? In my opinion, no. Sure, they may be bad people, but you shouldn't force people to provide a product to everybody even if they don't want them. It's creates more controversy than it solves.There are plenty of other stores that can provide for you. And if it turns out that a majority of stores deny gays, then I guess the USA should ban gay marriage because the people are obviously not ready for it. The people decide what happens in this country, how it's always been, how it always should be. I for one am fine with all kinds of people. It's not like they are affecting me in anyway.

Sounds great. Please back away because my book with little to no scientific evidence for anything tells me you're an abomination and the state gave me the power to tell you to go to another establishment. You know this power in the hands of many Christians can cause people to leave states, right? Christians are not the persecuted bunch they make themselves out to be. They make up 80% of the country and are very powerful. It would become a civil rights issue because the state would've backed bigotry. Everyone would have a right to freedom of thought and religion, but this is religion imposing itself on others. If it expands that could turn into segregation of gays from neighborhoods. These things spread like a virus. The problem with the religious is they do not think about the weight of their actions on society, so they never truly understand why people say they push society back.

LOL, Christians make up 80% of the population?  Well 80% of them are not against gays. It's only the extreme Christians that hate gays. Being a Christian doesn't automatically make you a bad guy who disrespects gays. They don't have to follow the bible word for word, and 95% of Christians don't .

Homosexuality vs heterosexuality isn't even an issue for younger generations. Most kids don't care about segregation based on stupid shit like somebody being gay. These younger people did not experience most of the shit the prior generations did. In the next few decades the last of these ignorant assholes from the 1900's will be dying off. I know you think this will spread but I can almost guarantee that it won't based on the past few generations knowledge of the situation. Most of the people who do not want to interact with gay people are old, white men who were alive when there was white/black segregation. Don't worry man. The world will be better once these idiots die off. But until they do, I don't think it's right to tell them that they must serve somebody who they don't want to serve. It's pretty idiotic in my opinion and only bad can come from it. Seriously, what good can come from MAKING somebody do something they don't want to do? I keep going back to this point:Just go to another shop or buy shit online.

I am not arguing if it's right to be gay or not to be gay. I am just arguing that there is really no point in enforcing something as idiotic as making somebody serve everybody because it will only make the world shittier.

Around the Network
pokymon90 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pokymon90 said:

My opinion is you can turn away anybody you want. Why not? You are providing a product and should be able to control where that product goes. Like if I own a video game store I can deny the kid that is acting stuck up and moronic and instead sell my product to somebody who actually acts like a nice person. You own the items/services, you can decide where/how/when/and why it goes. Does it really matter if the racist assholes deny a black person service, or the Catholic church denies gay couples service? In my opinion, no. Sure, they may be bad people, but you shouldn't force people to provide a product to everybody even if they don't want them. It's creates more controversy than it solves.There are plenty of other stores that can provide for you. And if it turns out that a majority of stores deny gays, then I guess the USA should ban gay marriage because the people are obviously not ready for it. The people decide what happens in this country, how it's always been, how it always should be. I for one am fine with all kinds of people. It's not like they are affecting me in anyway.

Sounds great. Please back away because my book with little to no scientific evidence for anything tells me you're an abomination and the state gave me the power to tell you to go to another establishment. You know this power in the hands of many Christians can cause people to leave states, right? Christians are not the persecuted bunch they make themselves out to be. They make up 80% of the country and are very powerful. It would become a civil rights issue because the state would've backed bigotry. Everyone would have a right to freedom of thought and religion, but this is religion imposing itself on others. If it expands that could turn into segregation of gays from neighborhoods. These things spread like a virus. The problem with the religious is they do not think about the weight of their actions on society, so they never truly understand why people say they push society back.

LOL, Christians make up 80% of the population?  Well 80% of them are not against gays. It's only the extreme Christians that hate gays. Being a Christian doesn't automatically make you a bad guy who disrespects gays. They don't have to follow the bible word for word, and 95% of Christians don't .

Homosexuality vs heterosexuality isn't even an issue for younger generations. Most kids don't care about segregation based on stupid shit like somebody being gay. These younger people did not experience most of the shit the prior generations did. In the next few decades the last of these ignorant assholes from the 1900's will be dying off. I know you think this will spread but I can almost guarantee that it won't based on the past few generations knowledge of the situation. Most of the people who do not want to interact with gay people are old, white men who were alive when there was white/black segregation. Don't worry man. The world will be better once these idiots die off. But until they do, I don't think it's right to tell them that they must serve somebody who they don't want to serve. It's pretty idiotic in my opinion and only bad can come from it. Seriously, what good can come from MAKING somebody do something they don't want to do? I keep going back to this point:Just go to another shop or buy shit online.

I am not arguing if it's right to be gay or not to be gay. I am just arguing that there is really no point in enforcing something as idiotic as making somebody serve everybody because it will only make the world shittier.

You say homosexuality vs heterosexuality is not an issue for younger generations. Yes, science, technology and modern education (all related) has moved us forward, but religion teaches that these things are wrong. You can still brainwash children into looking down upon others because its learned and I came from Christian communities like this. My family comes form Jamaica and because of Christian indoctrination through slavery I feel bad for any homosexual on the island. Its even worse that people have to fear for their lives and have to have coming out to their parents be such a dramatic event that could tear families apart. Two thousand year old unsubstantiated nonsense that couldn't even hold itself up in a debate because it relies upon faith and not facts. Science has already proven the legitimacy of homosexuality in nature, because there are 1500 species on the planet that have the capacity to be homosexual. Now we can further dig into the depth of where it might come from (and that continues).

If they don't want to serve homosexuals, they should have the balls to come out and say it. Homosexuals would know to steer clear (just like the Chic-fil-a) situation. Instead they picket and annoy people to death. Some people even commit suicide because that crap. Yes, we are a newer generation, but I don't even let this shit fly with my parents. Why? Because whenever people get angry their bias and bigoted ways come out because emotion takes over.

Sorry if this comes off as a bit much, but I made a lot of friends at school that are homosexual and to hear their stories makes me weep for society.

P.S.

People should have the right to feel whatever way they want about others as long as they keep it private and do not harm others. The problem is the group that is wielding the power humiliates because they believe its right.

Yeah. The gaming community along with the anime/comics community is a pretty cool place to be when it comes to this. It's cool to all come together from all different backgrounds and just enjoy a great game now and then in a laid back community where you are rarely judged. Maybe even learn a thing or to about others.

It is sad that people commit suicide based on issues like this,though. As a person with many friends from all different backgrounds I understand that we still have an equality problem in this nation. We are all different and that's what makes us great. I try to look past the problems though and just enjoy those people for what I like them for. My philosophy is ignore the shit, and embrace the love. That is what I would try to tell them. I know it can be hard, but focusing out the hate makes you a happier person.

pokymon90 said:
Yeah. The gaming community along with the anime/comics community is a pretty cool place to be when it comes to this. It's cool to all come together from all different backgrounds and just enjoy a great game now and then in a laid back community where you are rarely judged. Maybe even learn a thing or to about others.

It is sad that people commit suicide based on issues like this,though. As a person with many friends from all different backgrounds I understand that we still have an equality problem in this nation. We are all different and that's what makes us great. I try to look past the problems though and just enjoy those people for what I like them for. My philosophy is ignore the shit, and embrace the love. That is what I would try to tell them. I know it can be hard, but focusing out the hate makes you a happier person.

I wish more people were like you, but then again we're human. I guess the struggle is the beauty of it all philosophically.

Sorry if this comes off as a bit much, but I made a lot of friends at school that are homosexual and to hear their stories makes me weep for society.

P.S.

People should have the right to feel whatever way they want about others as long as they keep it private and do not harm others. The problem is the group that is wielding the power humiliates because they believe its right.

I just want to say that I am a Christian and I completely sympathize with gays and the bullying and hatred that they experience.  To love one's neighbour is as important to a Christian as loving God and those that bully or abuse power are not Christian even if they appear to be on the surface.

Without supporting or opposing this law:  If a Christian family had a wedding cake business and they believed in traditional marriage, do you feel that this couple should be forced to offer their services for a gay wedding even if it would violate their consciences?  What if other wedding cake companies were available in town?  Even if you don't agree with Christian beliefs on traditional marriage, surely you can relate to the fear that such a family would experience if they were being forced by those in power to do something that they don't believe in or go out of business.  

I think we all have to live in this world together.  I'm not saying that this law is the right thing to do, but I do think we should consider the needs of all parties in cases like the one I mentioned above.  We may disagree with other people's views, but when society starts forcing people to go against their beliefs I think we start looking an awfully like the authoritarians who we were fighting against in the first place.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pokymon90 said:

I wish more people were like you, but then again we're human. I guess the struggle is the beauty of it all philosophically.

Same to you, my friend. I am glad we could have a little argument on the way this problem should be handled. Associate yourself with likeminded people and it's guaranteed you will be happier. Negativity is the root of all evil IMO. Gaming may be a very broad genre in theory, but all we want is just to have fun and escape from the troubles of the world to a world where none of that matters. Have a great night.

I think I overreacted a bit, but It actually depends on the terms and conditions of the bills. I only assume the bill will be harsh. You shouldn't able to reject them if they haven't done anything wrong/uncomfortable, but if they do anything unusual or any uncomfortable actions then they can tell them to stop or reject them of business. That's what I think, especially in larger businesses agreement, not just retail.

Illusion said:

P.S.

I just want to say that I am a Christian and I completely sympathize with gays and the bullying and hatred that they experience.  To love one's neighbour is as important to a Christian as loving God and those that bully or abuse power are not Christian even if they appear to be on the surface.

Without supporting or opposing this law:  If a Christian family had a wedding cake business and they believed in traditional marriage, do you feel that this couple should be forced to offer their services for a gay wedding even if it would violate their consciences?  What if other wedding cake companies were available in town?  Even if you don't agree with Christian beliefs on traditional marriage, surely you can relate to the fear that such a family would experience if they were being forced by those in power to do something that they don't believe in or go out of business.  

I think we all have to live in this world together.  I'm not saying that this law is the right thing to do, but I do think we should consider the needs of all parties in cases like the one I mentioned above.  We may disagree with other people's views, but when society starts forcing people to go against their beliefs I think we start looking an awfully like the authoritarians who we were fighting against in the first place.

well, realy important businesses shouldnt be allowed to not serve a person, if somebody is ill, the hospital has to cure him.

a cake business isnt that important, but it shouldnt be just gay, what if i dont wanna offer my service to women? or dwarfs? or christians?or catholics? or blacks?or mexicans? or republicans? or NRA members? or people who think star wars episode 1 is a good movie?

btw what is wrong with the us of a? arent there any sane americans? seems like one half is feminazi and the other half is fucked up "christians".  normal societys would tell those minoritys to fuck off... 

generic-user-1 said:
Illusion said:

P.S.

well, realy important businesses shouldnt be allowed to not serve a person, if somebody is ill, the hospital has to cure him.

a cake business isnt that important, but it shouldnt be just gay, what if i dont wanna offer my service to women? or dwarfs? or christians?or catholics? or blacks?or mexicans? or republicans? or NRA members? or people who think star wars episode 1 is a good movie?

btw what is wrong with the us of a? arent there any sane americans? seems like one half is feminazi and the other half is fucked up "christians".  normal societys would tell those minoritys to fuck off... 

Failed Gun Law, Failed to have healthcare reforms, 87% Christians. Based on these tell you alot about USA. Alot of them can be insane to a degree...

The outrage is about gay people - right now, but more disturbing is the law says religion trumps law on very flimsy grounds.

So you could just not serve anyone cause you felt like it - which doesn't sound bad unless you think about it.

How about an Emergency Room Doctor not treating you because 'gamers are against his/her religion?'

Or a Taxi cab kick you out because they only allow 'The Right Console Gamers' gamers in their cab? And they leave you in a really bad part of town.

It was really stupid of Gov. Perce to sign the law. It had already cost them over 1,000 job with SalesForce in hours. Plus they are going to lose GamesCom (largest gaming convention - brings 50 million in revenue to the state per year), all business with San Francisco and probably the NCAA, and a few others I can't think of off the op of my head.

It was just a display to say 'we don't want to be forced to like gay marriage!' And nobody expect anyone to be forced to do that. Recently a Reverend refused to marry a bride because he didn't like her dress. And yes, he has the right to do that.

The problem is that it's basically a Christan version of Sharia Law - and the US was founded on the separation of Church and State, and this law, with the Hobby Lobby ruling say Church > State.

You are always free not to serve people, as long as the grounds for doing so do not fall under the grounds of a protected minority. So you could say, "I'm not going to serve that gamer because he is not wearing pants.' But you couldn't say, "I will not serve him because he Black/White/Gay/Muslim/Christian/Jew, etc."

Plus, its going to get tied up in the courts and cost Indiana another bunch of money.

Bonus point:  I'm going to move there and decide that Taxes are against my Religion, and that everybody I say hi to, owes me $100 or they are violating my religion.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!