By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction - Sony will sell Playstation before the end of this generation

dangerguy said:
Playstation is all Sony has at this point.

I don't think the new $1200 Walkman is going to take off.

False, their insurance division is enormous, it's usually the biggest profit generator at Sony, Movies have been doing well, Mobiles are actually a physical profit generator, recently Imaging Sensors saw a big rise and Sony are investing further there. Sony are one of the biggest Semi Conductor producers.

Tablets and their electrical divisions also do pretty well.

The whole $1200 Walkman thing was targeted at Audiophile Lovers, it's a niche product, that will probably sell well to it's target market and will generate good profit, it's not intended to be the next Ipod, Sony has other, cheaper music players too which sell well.

Around the Network

No way.

Now people, one thing only is wrong, in some coments.
The most profitable part of Sony is his ensurance and financial services part.

Why would on Earth Sony sell one of their most profitable divisions? What nonesense is this?

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

No, Sony will not sell Playstation.

Period.

Nuff said.

Around the Network

If Sony can't or won't be able to make profit with playstation, who the heck would? Dropping console development is way more likely than this.

Roronaa_chan said:

Sony has been set on a path intent on increasing the value of the Playstation brand. Aside from creating services such as PS Now and PS Vue, the rebranding of old services such as Music unlimited and others with a new name including the PS brand, Sony wants to drive up the price as much as possible. Fattening the pig before the slaughter, so to speak. Seeing as how, despite its "success", it doesn't bring much in the way of profit to the company, they'll sell it when the price is right to fill some of their financial holes and pursue the few more profitable avenues they have instead of PS.

I don't think so. It is one of their most successful divisions right now, along with that it is also one of the most recognizable. If they were to sell it, unless it starts falling off in sales and being profitable, it would likely hurt Sony Corp more than helping it, especially in the long term. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Roronaa_chan said:

Sony has been set on a path intent on increasing the value of the Playstation brand. Aside from creating services such as PS Now and PS Vue, the rebranding of old services such as Music unlimited and others with a new name including the PS brand, Sony wants to drive up the price as much as possible. Fattening the pig before the slaughter, so to speak. Seeing as how, despite its "success", it doesn't bring much in the way of profit to the company, they'll sell it when the price is right to fill some of their financial holes and pursue the few more profitable avenues they have instead of PS.

Sony Execs would disagree re Playstaion not bringi in much profit-  It is one of theri most profitable divisions right now evern though it is early in the PS4 life cycle-    With the exception of the earlier PS3 years, I m pretty sure Playstaion has been very profitable for Sony

It's a possibility, but unless the PS4 drops like the Wii did (or even worse) and SONY losing money again on the console division I'd very highly doubt it.

That said, if the company as a whole doesn't make enough money from the PS4 it could compromise or delay the development of a PS5 due to lack of funds. But that's still a far way into the future (2019-2020 is my guess)