By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Nintendo IPs can we expect on Mobile?

Hard enough?

White Knight Harder OP. 10 52.63%

Yes. 9 47.37%

Total:19

There are a lot of different reactions to this news on Nintendo placing IPs on mobile. So let me set some things up for you guys. 

What games can we expect on these platforms? 

Brain Age - This one's a No-Brainer(No pun intended). The game sold upwards of 20 Million on the DS, and outright flopped on the 3DS. This would be the perfect mobile game, and it would sell extremely well. 

Nintendogs/Nintencats - Another easy one. 24 Million on the DS, 3 Million on the 3DS. They want to re-invigorate this one for mobile. And once again, a perfect, cheap mobile game. 

Pokemon Spin-offs - Pokemon Shuffle tested the ground for this. This is the opportunity to pursue this here. 

Mario Spin-offs - Remember, spin-offs.

Rhythm Heaven - No Brainer. Rhythm game. Mobile. They are made for each other. 

Might have forgotten something here, let me know.

What games shouldn't we expect from these platforms? These are the games that we will get knock-offs at best.

The Legend of Zelda - No, they aren't making a full-fledged Zelda game. People don't want to spend >$40 on a game, and DeNa doesn't want to put the assets into this game. 

Super Mario Bros - Nintendo doesn't want to compete with themselves. These games wouldn't fit on mobile, and they would tear down the console business. No brainer

Mario Kart - Mario Kart 7 and 8 are both selling very well. They don't want to stop that. 

Animal Crossing - Same with Zelda, they won't want to put in the amount or assets necessary to make a >$40 game for mobile. This game requires a lot of assets to make. The only reason Nintendo is able to do it is because they re-use the assets from the previous games. Since this is just DeNa we are talking about, the most we would get is a gimped version. Also there's the issue of nintendo competing with themselves. New Leaf is still charting in Japan. 

Tomodachi Life - The assets issue comes up again. They won't have the amount of assets necessary to make this game at it's highest quality. 

Metroid - Do I even need to elaborate on this?

Of course there are some that I missed. So let me know. 

Around the Network

Ice Climbers. I imagine that the gameplay of Ice Climbers would work really well on mobile: it's simple (move and jump) and they could introduce more elements thanks to the touchscreen.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Rhythm Heaven and Wario Ware maybe...

Metroid V, mobile only. Touch to blast Metroids

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

I was about to curse at you, but then I remembered you're a mod.
Still, don't joke about!

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

I'll add that to the "Not coming" list.

Pokemon and Nintendogs.

Pokemon Snap... give it to me.... need.. to.. have... it..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

A lot of games that are DS-esque. I don't think Nintendo will be returning to the DS handheld line after 3DS. Maybe they'll continue that style with the smartphone approach. Man, the Nintendo news this morning is simply insane!

I agree with the games you listed.... I'll disagree with the Animal Crossing though. Animal Crossing is an example of a perfect IP to mobilize in some fashion.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC