By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2015 NPD Thread! 3DS: 395k, PS4: 342k, XBO: 276k, WiiU: 96k

Pretty good sales all things considered now I hope Nintendo produce more New 3DS and ship them to mexico, is marked as discontinued everywhere

Around the Network
VXIII said:
Zekkyou said:
So we did get numbers? Did they leak or are these extrapolated from previous NPDs and statements?

Official numbers from Nintendo. XOne month over month percentage from Microsoft. In addition to Creamsugar pie chart.

Don't quote me on it. I'm not 100% certain.

Ah, i'm glad to hear Creamsuger is sticking around. Along with official numbers and statements we should be able to work out the numbers each month. We can still moan about VGC numbers! :p

Zekkyou said:
VXIII said:

Official numbers from Nintendo. XOne month over month percentage from Microsoft. In addition to Creamsugar pie chart.

Don't quote me on it. I'm not 100% certain.

Ah, i'm glad to hear Creamsuger is sticking around. Along with official numbers and statements we should be able to work out the numbers each month. We can still moan about VGC numbers! :p

As long as vgchartz is undertracked I'm happy.  It's a pleasant surprise seeing better than expected numbers. 

SWORDF1SH said:
ReimTime said:

Yes but production costs fall as a console generation goes on. Materials become cheaper and manufacturing can always be placed more heavily on companies like Foxconn. I don't think they'd lose out too badly on a price cut, and I agree with intrinsic that an install base is very important

Wrong. Not matter how much you make or lose off of a console you still have $100 less if you cut it by $100.

2 years from now if it was still $400 and they made $200 per consoles and sold 15M a year;

15M at $400 with $200 profit = $3B profit

20M at $300 with $100 profit = $2B profit

You have to make $1B to make up what you lose. (BTW I think a $100 pricecut will boost it a lot more than 5M. Then you have to consider can they manufacture enough to take advantage of pricecut)

Sony have to weigh up if cutting the price is worth it.

The average customers spends so much a year so the sooner they get customers the more years you will have them spending. If they project to gain more from a price cut they will do it. But for that to happen the price cut will have to boost sales enough to make it worth it.

Fair enough, but IMO cutting the price is worth it. Lower price = more sales = more income from software and PS+. I think the balance that they need to find comes with a price cut, because the money you say they will lose can be made up through other means that produce more income with a higher install base. If the price cut is incremental and reflects the lowering cost of manufacture, the profit will be higher than it is now.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:

Fair enough, but IMO cutting the price is worth it. Lower price = more sales = more income from software and PS+. I think the balance that they need to find comes with a price cut, because the money you say they will lose can be made up through other means that produce more income with a higher install base. If the price cut is incremental and reflects the lowering cost of manufacture, the profit will be higher than it is now.

Agreed. $50 pricecut at E3 is my guess.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
ReimTime said:

That is my guess and my hope hehe

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Xbox was supposed to gain momentum what happened? The gap is bigger but xbox is cheaper lol.

Playstation_awaiter said:
Xbox was supposed to gain momentum what happened? The gap is bigger but xbox is cheaper lol.

The PS4 haveing like 230+ games releaseing in 2015. Its where they ll find the games they want to play.

Even with the 50$ price differnce, people still perceive the ps4 to be the better value buy.

myself, I wouldnt get a xbox over a ps4, even if there was a 100$ differnce.

I want the RPGs, and I know they ll be on the ps4.

Nice to see most of the numbers showing increases year to year. Rather than dropping year to year as vgc doom chartz has it.

SWORDF1SH said:
ReimTime said:

i doubt we see a price cut till sometime in october as long as the ps4 keeps going on like this and with mgs5 coming sony will hold out for as long as possible