By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think Splatoon can pull in CoD players/shooter fanatics?(to try the game)

What do you think?

Yes 51 21.52%

No 186 78.48%

Total:237
Skullwaker said:
o_O.Q said:
well hang on now if we can conclude that a man who is insecure about his masculinity may shun certain media

then the inverse must also be possible, meaning that it must be possible that there are men who are unjustifiably secure in their masculinity to the point where it impacts on their decisions

and i can think of actual real world examples of this such as a friend who doesn't see the point in lifting weights

Yeah, because colorful and cheery games like Splatoon are typically associated with manly men. Give me a break.

You're not understanding the concept of insecurity at all. A grown man who is comfortable with who he is, enough to play a game that is often associated with either children or women, is not insecure. A grown man that shuns this type of media because it's associated with people other than masculine men, is insecure. There is a quote by C.S. Lewis that goes as follows: 

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

So, if a man is comfortable playing colorful and child-like games, he is not insecure in his masculinity because he doesn't give a shit. But if he sees other games as merely brown and gray and not worthy of his time, he isn't insecure, he's just extremely ignorant and doesn't have the knowledge to properly assess such games.

someone doesn't have to be masculine to be secure in their masculinity though and that's my point 

perception is fluid

to give another example anorexic people are generally dangerously underweight and yet they believe the opposite

"if a man is comfortable playing colorful and child-like games, he is not insecure in his masculinity because he doesn't give a shit"

true, however, he may be unjustifiably secure in his masculinity... there is another side to this that you are not considering

Around the Network

If PVZ garden warfare didnt do it, I dont think this one will.

o_O.Q said:
someone doesn't have to be masculine to be secure in their masculinity though and that's my point 

perception is fluid

to give another example anorexic people are generally dangerously underweight and yet they believe the opposite

"if a man is comfortable playing colorful and child-like games, he is not insecure in his masculinity because he doesn't give a shit"

true, however, he may be unjustifiably secure in his masculinity... there is another side to this that you are not considering

What does this have to do with what I wrote? I'm not saying the opposite. In fact, I'd say the majority of gamers aren't overtly masculine. Doesn't mean they have to be insecure with who they are or what they like.

What do you mean by unjustifiably secure? Are you trying to say because he plays those games, he shouldn't feel like a man? You're making this much more complex than it needs to be. If a man feels like a man and accepts who he is, he's secure in himself.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

No, absolutely not. They won`t go near such a `kiddie` looking game. It doesn`t have the gritty realism, the geared up soldiers, or pleasure of head shooting opponents. I imagine they`ll stay away.

But I will def give it a shot : )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

It's a different kind of game, it will attract its own people.

Just the theme will probably repulse most COD fans.. chances are they do not own Wii Us anyway.

Around the Network

That cannot be a serious question. There might be a few but the vast, VAST majority will look at this game like it's child's play (which is ironic as there are tons of actual kids playing CoD.) It isn't but that's just the image it puts out.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

oniyide said:

a.) again those with Wii Us are few and far between and the sales show it and if we are talking about the COD audience i imagine even less of them make up Wii U total ownership for reasons I have already stated.

b.) Pretty much same as above how much people even know anyone with a Wii U? I know two out of all may gaming friends and that is a small number and even then their is no gaurantee they will get the game and I dont imagine people will want to spend money on something they can only play sometimes.

c.) how much people can go to pax east? and there is no gaurantee that it will be there and if it is there is no gaurantee it will be there in playable form. Gamestope and other such places are more abundant BUT there is no reason to think that game will be at any of the booths. It seems those places only have the most popular games available to play and Splatoon isnt gonna be one of them at least most likely not playable. For instance I was able to play both Marios, Kart 8, DKTF but not Pikmin3

There are too many variables at play to make any of those options you listed as viable. 

Why do you have to put sales here? I only gave you options how those players can try this game out, if you don't get my point and this thread's point then I'm sorry, I can't help you any further. Besides, your last statement acknowledged my point if you did not know btw, so it goes either way.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Areym said:
That cannot be a serious question. There might be a few but the vast, VAST majority will look at this game like it's child's play (which is ironic as there are tons of actual kids playing CoD.) It isn't but that's just the image it puts out.

See the contradiction there? That's why there is still a little hope for this question.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Skullwaker said:
Mythmaker1 said:
Saturated? You mean a little over half-a-dozen over the course of 2014? It doesn't seem that bad.

And of the games I can recall, only one (Titanfall) unquestionably intruded on CoD's territory. The only one that's debatable is Destiny, which from everything I've read and heard is more akin to MMO than anything CoD-related.

Are you really trying to argue that FPS games don't dominate the market? This is common sense. It's the most popular genre now, and has been for years. Sure, they're not all exactly the same, but they're there. It's just like in the NES/SNES days when the market was saturated with side scrollers (especially platformers).

If consisting of  between 10-15% of the total software market means "dominate," then sure. Depending on how you define the term, open world action game easily gives FPS a run for its money.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Sunstrider said:
oniyide said:

a.) again those with Wii Us are few and far between and the sales show it and if we are talking about the COD audience i imagine even less of them make up Wii U total ownership for reasons I have already stated.

b.) Pretty much same as above how much people even know anyone with a Wii U? I know two out of all may gaming friends and that is a small number and even then their is no gaurantee they will get the game and I dont imagine people will want to spend money on something they can only play sometimes.

c.) how much people can go to pax east? and there is no gaurantee that it will be there and if it is there is no gaurantee it will be there in playable form. Gamestope and other such places are more abundant BUT there is no reason to think that game will be at any of the booths. It seems those places only have the most popular games available to play and Splatoon isnt gonna be one of them at least most likely not playable. For instance I was able to play both Marios, Kart 8, DKTF but not Pikmin3

There are too many variables at play to make any of those options you listed as viable. 

Why do you have to put sales here? I only gave you options how those players can try this game out, if you don't get my point and this thread's point then I'm sorry, I can't help you any further. Besides, your last statement acknowledged my point if you did not know btw, so it goes either way.

we are on a sales site. Two Im using the sale of the console and games to show why the answer to your question is NO. How else am i going to give you an answer to your question.

What is the point of this thread? IMHO it seems like you want people to say yes, but anyone with a shred of common sense no the answer is no and you dont want me to bring in numbers which is the only true thing really to prove that Splatoon wont bring in COD players? Your options are not good options which even further proves my original answer which is no splatoon wont bring COD players in.