By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 vs. XB1 Resolution & FPS Revisited Has the Xbox One Caught Up?

ReimTime said:
Ramadear said:
Software improvements can't fix inferior hardware. Looking at the big picture though, XB1 isn't that much worse than the PS4. I think everyone should be happy that both consoles can do 720p@60fps respectfully.

Welllllll I think 1080p@60fps should be a staple. Devs gotta optimize better

Its not a matter of optimization, its a hardware issue. Depending on the graphic fidelity of the game, both systems will have trouble hitting that 1080p@60fps mark. The PS4 to a lesser exstent, but the issue is still there.  I think people expect too much out of both systems. 

Like I said in my previous post, the difference between the XB1 and PS4 isn't that large. Its relatively small. Its not like the difference between the graphic capabilities of a Wii and XB1. It would be a big difference between the two systems if the XB1 was forced to lower texture quality, mesh quality and overall level of detail to match the PS4 performance and quality. But this is typically not the case. I'd say a resolution drop isn't that big of a deal. One game running at 60fps on one system but 30fps on the rival system would be a big deal imo. 

Around the Network
Ramadear said:
ReimTime said:

Its not a matter of optimization, its a hardware issue. Depending on the graphic fidelity of the game, both systems will have trouble hitting that 1080p@60fps mark. The PS4 to a lesser exstent, but the issue is still there.  I think people expect too much out of both systems. 

Like I said in my previous post, the difference between the XB1 and PS4 isn't that large. Its relatively small. Its not like the difference between the graphic capabilities of a Wii and XB1. It would be a big difference between the two systems if the XB1 was forced to lower texture quality, mesh quality and overall level of detail to match the PS4 performance and quality. But this is typically not the case. I'd say a resolution drop isn't that big of a deal. One game running at 60fps on one system but 30fps on the rival system would be a big deal imo. 

I definitely agree on framerate being a bigger deal, but I'm not worried about graphical dispairity either. I just think (my opinion) that this gen of consoles should have made the leap to 1080p@60fps as a benchmark. That's what I expect when a new gen approaches; the wow factor. That being said, Konami did say that MGSV would run 1080p@60fps, and it is an open world, so optimization still could be an issue.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:
Ramadear said:
ReimTime said:

I definitely agree on framerate being a bigger deal, but I'm not worried about graphical dispairity either. I just think (my opinion) that this gen of consoles should have made the leap to 1080p@60fps as a benchmark. That's what I expect when a new gen approaches; the wow factor. That being said, Konami did say that MGSV would run 1080p@60fps, and it is an open world, so optimization still could be an issue.

Oh yeah I definitely agree with you that 1080p@60fps should of been the ideal. I think hardware and costs played a big factor in determining that though. Yes MGSV hits the 1080p@60fps, but the game isn't remarkable detailed either. I think they did a great job balancing a mix of performance and graphic quality though. 

I think when players want 1080p@60fps they should ask themselves: At what cost? When there is a high graphical quality like The Order 1886 players should not expect that 1080p/60fps to be met. Or if there is a game like AC unity that makes use of large open world environments with large numbers of npcs roaming about, players should not expect the mark to be met either. Its a bit unreasonable imo. 

Ramadear said:
ReimTime said:
Ramadear said:
ReimTime said:

Oh yeah I definitely agree with you that 1080p@60fps should of been the ideal. I think hardware and costs played a big factor in determining that though. Yes MGSV hits the 1080p@60fps, but the game isn't remarkable detailed either. I think they did a great job balancing a mix of performance and graphic quality though. 

I think when players want 1080p@60fps they should ask themselves: At what cost? When there is a high graphical quality like The Order 1886 players should not expect that 1080p/60fps to be met. Or if there is a game like AC unity that makes use of large open world environments with large numbers of npcs roaming about, players should not expect the mark to be met either. Its a bit unreasonable imo. 

True that; but one can hope for it :p we'll see what the coming years bring

#1 Amb-ass-ador

the-pi-guy said:
ReimTime said:

Yea! That's more like it! Is it in 4D tho?

With the cloud, even 5D is possible.  

Ahh, but can it render multiple universes at once?

Around the Network

Have you noticed that all the games where x1 performs the same are all cross-gen titles? As in, they were on ps3 and 360?

Most if not almost all the 8th gen games perform better on ps4....still

Looking at that list, it doesnt look like. In particular cause some of the parity ones are last-gen ports.

I think we all knew the PS4 is technically superior, the only real argument is how big the disparity truly is.

As I suspected the biggest disparity is generally going to be resolution. Which is something most people don't seem to care about. The most popular series during the 7th gen was sub 720p.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

SpokenTruth said:
How does hardware of lower spec catch up to hardware of higher spec?

Has the Xbox One been working out at the gym everyday, cutting the carbs and swimming laps? It's hardware. That stuff tends to stay pretty fixed.

Secret GPU in the external power brick man!  MisterX

Protendo said:

Secret GPU in the external power brick man!  MisterX

LOL

Never heard that one before.