By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Visceral re-affirms Battlefield Hardline as 900p on PS4, 720p on XB1

SjOne said:

Last gen people complained that PS3 was too expensive. Now they complain that PS4 is too underpowered. Sony can't win either way with these kind of people.

PS4 is perfect like it is, all is balanced, processing power(combo CPU/GPU), The Architecture, amount of memory, memory bandwidth, and cost at Launch.

PS3 was too expensive because of Cell and Bluray, but it was not a so balanced piece of hardware, and the GPU was a bit meh.

Also those people complaining do not matter at all;  nowdays you have more problems with heathing, consumption and cost issue to release another 'PS360 like machine' in terms of overall raw processing power. It's not possible anymore.

Even with more power, some people would still complain, it's the nature of some people.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

I knew this would happen. Just not this soon though. I never had faith in the specs to begin with. They were lacking the punch. The question is just who can make a perfectly optimized and solid looking game.

curl-6 said:
HollyGamer said:
i blame Visceral for this, they said they could have optimize Battlefield 4 on PS4 to 1080p if they had a chance or time to optimize because they said battlefield 4 was rushed.

Where did they say that?

they said that in 2013 , i read on gaming news and also from VG chartz link, i forget where the site but i believe you can search in google. That's why i am waiting their statement to be true

fatslob-:O said:
Locknuts said:

The 320MB 8800GTS launched at $300. With inflation that's roughly equivalent to the cost of a GTX 970 now but was really not that much more capable than a 360 when paired with a decent CPU (could run games like GTA IV at proper 720/30fps). Whereas a 970 could take a game that runs at 1080p/30fps on PS4 and run it at 4k/30fps (shadow of mordor for example). The gap is far wider now than it was then, plus I don't see a lot of optimisation happening and Hardline is proof of that. I really think the new consoles X86 architecture ensured that they were pretty much maxed out right from the start. I'm not a dev, but I'm just going on what I've seen.

I was personally satisfied with the 360. So much so that it kept me off the PC for the most part. And I agree, $400 is the right price. I would have preferred they just took a bit of a hit and gave them a much better CPU and a slightly better GPU (7970 equiv. instead of 7850/70). Then maybe I would be satisfied with my Xbox One instead of thinking of selling it for a new GPU.

I'm surprised you were satisfied with the 360 but I'm also surprised about what you remembered. You were right about the 320MB GeForce 8800 GTS launching at $300 but there was also another good option such as the 512MB GeForce 8800 GT for $200! Compared to the gap between the 970 and PS4, that GeForce 8800 GT straight up ran circles around the last gen HD twins just for $200 ... LOL 

Bioshock ran at 720p30FPS on the Xbox 360 whereas the GeForce 8800 GT did at a comparable resolution to 1080p@70FPS! That comes to a 4.8x increase in performance! 

COD 4 on the Xbox 360 ran at a sub-HD resolution of 1024x600! That's an 3.1x increase in performance in favour of the GeForce 8800 GT!

Half Life: Episode 2 on the Xbox 360 ran at 720p30FPS when The 8800GT can rip through this game at 135FPS at 1600x1200! That's over an 8x increase in performance! 

Most of the time a GTX 970 would only outperforms the the PS4 by 2-2.5x so all things considered the gap is about the same ... 

Optimizations will come in time. It's the GPU that you want to focus on, not the CPU so whether the consoles have x86 processors or not is irrelevant since the bulk of the pixel pushing power comes from the GPU!

A 7970 is NOT slightly better than what's in the PS4. That thing is 70% faster and it's sold at a premium for a reason ...

You got your timings confused. The 8800GT didn't come out until the end of 2007. That's a full 2 years after the launch of the 360. It hasn't been a full 2 years since the launch of these consoles. Let's see what a $200 card can offer in November of this year eh? It was a legendary beast though. The 8800GT was unstoppable in it's time.

Also, it seems I got the 280x and 280 confused. I thought the 280 was the replacement for the 7970, but it's actually the replacement for the 7950 and the 280x is the replacement for the 7970. Strange naming scheme.... Anyway it can be had for around $189 after rebates. That's not too premium a price but a little more than I thought they were going for and yeah, performs around 70% better than a PS4 afaik.

BlueFalcon said:
vivster said:
The power of AMD!

Also the power of making fucking cheap consoles.

Blaming AMD? Hilarious when they still have the world's fastest single card crown with the 295X2. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/MSI/GTX_960_Gaming/29.html

From a technological point of view, it was possible to have an FX8350 @ 4.5Ghz and dual HD7970 Ghz cards to make up the console. However, form factor, profitability and price would all suffer. It's just common sense that when single high end flagships use 250-280W of power (780Ti/7970Ghz/290X), you were never going to have any console with a flagship PC gaming card. Since it wasn't possible to manufacture a 980M Maxwell around June 2013, which is when they would have needed to start manufacturing for launch, Sony/MS went with consoles that cost nearly $400 to make because neither company's shareholders were OK anymore will selling an $800+ console for $500 and losing billions of dollars as was the case for PS3. 

Look if you just want the best graphics, 4K gaming, no one stops a PS4/XB1 gamer to build a 5960X with Triple Titan Xs. Bitching and moaning how a $350 XB1 and a $400 PS4 can't run the latest games at 1080p @ 60 FPS is getting old. Besides BF games were always best played on the PC. 

295x2 is a dual GPU. The 980 is the fastest single gpu card.

Around the Network

Locknuts said:

You got your timings confused. The 8800GT didn't come out until the end of 2007. That's a full 2 years after the launch of the 360. It hasn't been a full 2 years since the launch of these consoles. Let's see what a $200 card can offer in November of this year eh? It was a legendary beast though. The 8800GT was unstoppable in it's time.

Also, it seems I got the 280x and 280 confused. I thought the 280 was the replacement for the 7970, but it's actually the replacement for the 7950 and the 280x is the replacement for the 7970. Strange naming scheme.... Anyway it can be had for around $189 after rebates. That's not too premium a price but a little more than I thought they were going for and yeah, performs around 70% better than a PS4 afaik.

Sure but don't expect it to change much since transistor price scaling has come to a halt ... 

Err, I'm not sure where your getting your numbers from but according to AT the 7950 is only around 40% faster than the 7850 ...

fatslob-:O said:

Locknuts said:

Sure but don't expect it to change much since transistor price scaling has come to a halt ... 

Err, I'm not sure where your getting your numbers from but according to AT the 7950 is only around 40% faster than the 7850 ...

No Im agreeing with u about the 7970 performance. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

HollyGamer said:
curl-6 said:
HollyGamer said:
i blame Visceral for this, they said they could have optimize Battlefield 4 on PS4 to 1080p if they had a chance or time to optimize because they said battlefield 4 was rushed.

Where did they say that?

they said that in 2013 , i read on gaming news and also from VG chartz link, i forget where the site but i believe you can search in google. That's why i am waiting their statement to be true

I wasn't able to find such a reference. Visceral didn't develop BF4 anyway, that was DICE.

Wright said:
Guitarguy said:

There are many games that look much better than Hardline and run at a higher resolution. That is what leads me to believe it is down to poor optimization but hey, what do I know, I'm no developer...

Not really, Hardline is the most graphically-intensive game right now.

You actually believe that? I think you should look around more. 

Current Consoles: PS3, PS4, Wii U

PC Specs: i7-4770, GTX 560 Ti, 12GB 1600Mhz DDR3

curl-6 said:
HollyGamer said:
curl-6 said:
HollyGamer said:

Where did they say that?

I wasn't able to find such a reference. Visceral didn't develop BF4 anyway, that was DICE.

then probably if it's dice who made the game they would able to optimize it, since they have said that they would love to push and optimize  it.