By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live PC free and console gamers are not happy

mornelithe said:
Landguy said:

I would bet that xbox live will drop in price over the next year.  It will get to $19 a year for a while and then $0 by 2017-2018.

If they really want Win10 to dominate, XBL will need to be $0 for the XB1/360...

Win 10 will very likely dominate regardless of XBL or not. heh.

Win10 will dominate because it is a free upgrade, and it is much easier to use than Win8.  I gueass I really meant is that Win10 will dominate gaming(VS. consoles or Steam OS) if M$ can reel in the 360/XB1 users by making XBL free for all.  Many console gamers will want to play with their friends and such.  I would guess that M$ will begin to use its leverage to get most of the games to be released equally through XBL via Win10 as they are with Steam.  Everyone acts like Steam is offering them something.  It is not Steam, but the game developers that determine the pricing.  So, those same developers can offer the same deal to M$.  In the end, M$ can offer developers a higher % of the sales price due to their deep pockets and a need to create value in the early years of XBL for Windows.

We shall see though...

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

Hopefully Microsoft addresses the Windows 10 and Xbox Live Gold concerns. The offerings on both platforms should not be equal given that console gamers pay. Microsoft needs to understand this to keep the value there.

If Microsoft goes for equality between the PC and Xbox One all they have left to do is allow all exclusives to be multiplatform between the PC and Xbox and make the console irrelevant to PC gamers. 

Kind of like how publishers sell PC games for the same price as console games, and have the same features? Oh wait...

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Hopefully Microsoft addresses the Windows 10 and Xbox Live Gold concerns. The offerings on both platforms should not be equal given that console gamers pay.

The offerings aren't equal. You get free games for Xbox consoles each month but no free PC games. Every Xbox game with multiplayer mode uses the XBL-service, only a fraction of Windows games will use the XBL-service.

Sony's situation is similar... there are only a few multiplayer games for the Vita (most handheld games are single player experiences), so they don't put the multiplayer access on Vita behind a paywall.

Conina said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Hopefully Microsoft addresses the Windows 10 and Xbox Live Gold concerns. The offerings on both platforms should not be equal given that console gamers pay.

The offerings aren't equal. You get free games for Xbox consoles each month but no free PC games. Every Xbox game with multiplayer mode uses the XBL-service, only a fraction of Windows games will use the XBL-service.

Sony's situation is similar... there are only a few multiplayer games for the Vita (most handheld games are single player experiences), so they don't put the multiplayer access on Vita behind a paywall.

Yes, but thats not what makes Xbox Live Gold Xbox Live Gold. Thats what makes Xbox Live Gold like PSN Plus. We all know where the free games comes from, that wasnt done before Sony succeeded with it in doing their own version of Gold and it succeed, so MS followed.

The Vita is Sony's platform and it does not rival the primary platform. With PC, that just so happens to be the case. If Microsoft goes just far enough with it, it could give PC gamers every reason not to buy a One. Broken GamezHD was also talking about that this other day. Its interesting when other people bring up the same sentiments. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Hopefully Microsoft addresses the Windows 10 and Xbox Live Gold concerns. The offerings on both platforms should not be equal given that console gamers pay. Microsoft needs to understand this to keep the value there.

If Microsoft goes for equality between the PC and Xbox One all they have left to do is allow all exclusives to be multiplatform between the PC and Xbox and make the console irrelevant to PC gamers. 

if the offerings are the same it probably wont even matter because most of the people on Xbox probably wont even be aware of whats going on in the PC realm anyway. So i say make em equal screw it. 

I'd argue that console gaming is irrelevant to a good portion of PC gamers anyway so might as well make them timed exclusives