By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live PC free and console gamers are not happy

oniyide said:
mornelithe said:

It's not harsh in the slightest.  It's reality.  The mass adoption of the pay for MP model by console users, directly impacted an industry standard of players hosting/renting their own servers.  To hear them complaining about the unfairness of it all is the height of hypocrisy.  Players renting and controlling their own servers, is by far the best method of doing this.  Not only do players have real-time policing ability (ergo, banning idiots), but they can control many many other aspects of the server as well.  For regulation servers (for leveling or whatever), there were always 'check boxes' to ensure you're playing w/in the legal parameters set out by the devs (ergo, no mods, no bots, no assists etc...).

I was just trying to be nice but you are right.

I dont think many of those things could be implemented on consoles, but then again that makes the agrument that it should be free even stronger. So i'm still wondering what the hell people were paying for.

Well, if you were being a dick about it, I'd understand.  But, you were simply relaying what happened. 

I actually disagree on your second point, though, I think all of it could be implemented on consoles, as could the far more robust voice aps, Ventrilo/Teamspeak.  Literally the only reason to not do it, is Microsoft (or Sony) losing a revenue stream.  Otherwise, you're talking about a better server policy, more highly policed servers (to the tastes of those who run/own them), better voice options, and if they bring back mods/map making, it creates far greater legs for virtually all IP.  That doesn't jive with the current model of catering to and encouraging short attention spans though.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
I think its pretty unfair concept if you think about it. Xbox live servers are paid by Microsoft who charges its console users for it. PC gamers can play for free because these servers are paid by console owners.
If they want to have PC gamers not paying for online then let them host their own servers.

Is the whole Microsoft Azure platform paid by console gamers? Any proof that Windows games will run on servers that are paid by XBL Gold members?

Conina said:
Ruler said:
I think its pretty unfair concept if you think about it. Xbox live servers are paid by Microsoft who charges its console users for it. PC gamers can play for free because these servers are paid by console owners.
If they want to have PC gamers not paying for online then let them host their own servers.

Is the whole Microsoft Azure platform paid by console gamers? Any proof that Windows games will run on servers that are paid by XBL Gold members?

Yep how else crossgaming works? In the original windows live MS tried PC gamers to pay for online, it didnt turned out to be successfull so they made it for free. My PC version of lost planet colonies came with 30 days windows live included in it which is the same like an xbox live gift card, also in  lost planet colonies pc and console gamer played together MP. A bunch of other original windows live games supported crossplay too like blaze continium shift on pc.

Didn't Microsoft announce that Xbox Live sub price is now $40 from now on?

Areal-Llort said:
Didn't Microsoft announce that Xbox Live sub price is now $40 from now on?

I'm pretty sure that was just a special offer.

“This is a special promotion offered by Microsoft stores in the U.S. lasting until Feb. 28, 2015. Microsoft sets a suggested retail price, but specific pricing and offers vary by retailer. Check with your local retailer for details on their Xbox Live offerings.”

Around the Network
oniyide said:
mornelithe said:

That'll kill Windows 10, before it even launches.

the only way that could work is if the entry fee is VERY cheap.

Edit: Matter of fact even then that would be crazy as I could see that driving more people to iOS. I wanna say MS isnt that stupid but honestly I dont know anymore.

No fee would work. No one wants to pay for a OS after the upfront cost. I'd never go near Windows 10. I'd stay with 7. Everyone would do the same. Windows 10 = DOA if that was done. Picture Android or Apple doing that. Another fee to even use itunes etc. That's insanly stupid.

mornelithe said:
oniyide said:

I was just trying to be nice but you are right.

I dont think many of those things could be implemented on consoles, but then again that makes the agrument that it should be free even stronger. So i'm still wondering what the hell people were paying for.

Well, if you were being a dick about it, I'd understand.  But, you were simply relaying what happened. 

I actually disagree on your second point, though, I think all of it could be implemented on consoles, as could the far more robust voice aps, Ventrilo/Teamspeak.  Literally the only reason to not do it, is Microsoft (or Sony) losing a revenue stream.  Otherwise, you're talking about a better server policy, more highly policed servers (to the tastes of those who run/own them), better voice options, and if they bring back mods/map making, it creates far greater legs for virtually all IP.  That doesn't jive with the current model of catering to and encouraging short attention spans though.

fair enough

archer9234 said:
oniyide said:
mornelithe said:

That'll kill Windows 10, before it even launches.

the only way that could work is if the entry fee is VERY cheap.

Edit: Matter of fact even then that would be crazy as I could see that driving more people to iOS. I wanna say MS isnt that stupid but honestly I dont know anymore.

No fee would work. No one wants to pay for a OS after the upfront cost. I'd never go near Windows 10. I'd stay with 7. Everyone would do the same. Windows 10 = DOA.

I dont know what MS obsession with changing up Windows lately. If it aint broke dont fix it

I can see why they'd be upset. I think everyone should be outraged about having to pay just for online features.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Who are these gamers that are unhappy though? Is there a group that came up and gave a face to the problem?