By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Nintendo action RPG, good idea or bad?

Tagged games:

A Nintendo Action-RPG

Great idea! Lemme have it plx. 62 70.45%

Horrible idea! Are you tr... 2 2.27%

Meh. 4 4.55%

Could work, would need to see it first. 20 22.73%

Total:88

So, the last few days I've had a hankering to play an action RPG on a home console. Something I can kick back on the couch and play with a controller without having to use xpadder or something along those lines. Some of my all time favorite games are Diablo, Torchlight, Dungeon Seige, Champions of Norrath, etc. 

While playing Smash 4 against a buddy, we got to talking about Champions and couch co-op being close to dead nowadays and just how sad that made us. Some of our best memories were hanging out at one anothers house and staying up all night playing Gauntlet or Champions or Dungeon Seige. Eventually it was brought up that Nintendo still offers a pretty robust amount of couch co-op content, but the action RPG is missing. 

Picture a bright, vibrant world similar to Kingdoms of Amalur or Fable. An inviting world populated with Nintendo's unique take on villans, monsters, and heroes. Whether it be populated with the well known goomba, metroid, moblin, or something althogether new is up to you. As long as the game is a solid experience, I don't care whether you perfer it to be populated with Nintendo characters or something althogether original. Imagine being able to explore instanced dungeons with a buddy sitting right next to you and having someone from across the world pop in to help out. Something that is easy to get in to, but with plenty of depth to keep you interested long term. 

Anyone else think that Nintendo's unique take on things could be amazing with this genere of game? Or that this genere of game is definitely missing in the modern era, let alone on the Wii U? Lemme know your thoughts.

*EDIT: Since there seems to be some confusion, I will try and elaborate a bit further. Dungeon crawling would be part of these games(as it was in all the games I listed above.) Character creation and class selection would be part of my original idea, therefore, Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and Last Story do not fit the criteria above. 

“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”  - Neil Gaiman

Around the Network

Isn't that what Xenoblade X is?

The already is one it's called Pandora's Tower and it's under appreciated.

Ka-pi96 said:
How about Zelda?

I know some people will say 'that's not an RPG', but come on it plays just like one the only thing it hasn't got is a leveling system, but other than that it is pretty much an RPG.

That's not a RPG

Why wouldn't a Nintendo RPG be good?

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Well we've got Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy Explorers on the way.
I'm probably rather they tried another genre. Maybe first person shooters. Love to see what Nintendo could do there.

ExplodingBlock said:

Not really even close to what I'm thinking of. Xenoblade is more of a JRPG(or CRPG whichever you perfer to call it). You have set characters with set appearances with set moves you get at set levels. I'm talking something more like you pick your characters appearance and gender, you decide if you want to use them to heal with, attack with, cast spells with, shoot people with.

Ka-pi96 said:
How about Zelda?

I know some people will say 'that's not an RPG', but come on it plays just like one the only thing it hasn't got is a leveling system, but other than that it is pretty much an RPG.

Zelda is more Action Adventure than Action RPG. I'm talking something where you do level, that you collect gear, not items(bow, hookshot, bombs, etc.) that influences your stats. Something where you define your experience more than having a every playthrough end up with the same items and equipment.

“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”  - Neil Gaiman

Doesn't Nintendo already have a good track record with RPGs?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

garywood said:
Well we've got Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy Explorers on the way.
I'm probably rather they tried another genre. Maybe first person shooters. Love to see what Nintendo could do there.

Those are for the 3DS tho, and tbh, I'm not a huge fan of handheld gaming and none of those cover the couch co-op aspect I'm talking about. Neither of those are Nintendo games, they're 3rd party. As far as shooters, they're already publishing Devil's Third, so they're trying that too.

ExplodingBlock said:

End of thread. Nothing to discuss. That game looks cool.