By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft admits 'we've lost our way' on PC games

Kerotan said:
true_fan said:

That is not the definition of outlast, but let's stop derailing the thread. 360 during the holidays makes up the weekly difference and then some, so 360 still outsells ps3 annually. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=197739&page=1#

Since the ps3 released the 360 has not outsold the os3 WW any year.  And then stuffing the channel for Xmas doesn't mean they sold more.  It just means they shipped a shit load of the 360's that will sell this year but for last xmas. They lost and yes you should stop derailing this thread. 

Like true_fan suggested, let's drop that subject since it's off-topic.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
true_fan said:

That is not the definition of outlast, but let's stop derailing the thread. 360 during the holidays makes up the weekly difference and then some, so 360 still outsells ps3 annually. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=197739&page=1#

Since the ps3 released the 360 has not outsold the os3 WW any year.  And then stuffing the channel for Xmas doesn't mean they sold more.  It just means they shipped a shit load of the 360's that will sell this year but for last xmas. They lost and yes you should stop derailing this thread. 

NVM 

I don't like this "Xbox means MS gaming" BS. To many PC gamers like me "Xbox" means "Half-assed Crap that drags down PC's." I hate seeing the xbox logo in windows 8. Drop the stupid brand and stick with the one PC gamers trust: Windows.

~ Mod Edit ~

This user was moderated by TruckOSaurus.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Captain_Yuri said:

I agree they have lost their way but they can certainly bring it back! Giving windows 10 for free and getting dx12 compatible with so many existing cards are the first steps to do so but they need to being games like MCC to PC to show their full commitment. Yes, they are bringing fable but thats meh at best to me since its a spinoff. I really hope they will bring MCC to PC when Halo 5 comes out for x1 if they really want to show their commitment. 

Also, bring back the Age of series

It's nice of them to be supporting PC more (Because they don't have to at all), but the problem is now there is just going to be a bunch of port begging to PC like this. I mean, do you want them to bring all their exclusives to PC and completely get rid of any reason to buy an Xbox One?

"Show commitment"? I mean, they don't need to be supporting PC at all if they don't want to. 

Eddie_Raja said:
I don't like this "Xbox means MS gaming" BS. To many PC gamers like me "Xbox" means "Half-assed Crap that drags down PC's." I hate seeing the xbox logo in windows 8. Drop the stupid brand and stick with the one PC gamers trust: Windows.

It's hard to let something go when you've invested so much money and effort into it.  They want to keep the name going even if it ends up having nothing to do with consoles in the future.  At least then it looks like it was somewhat successful. In reality they should have done what they're doing now years ago and it wouldn't matter what you'd call it. 

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I agree they have lost their way but they can certainly bring it back! Giving windows 10 for free and getting dx12 compatible with so many existing cards are the first steps to do so but they need to being games like MCC to PC to show their full commitment. Yes, they are bringing fable but thats meh at best to me since its a spinoff. I really hope they will bring MCC to PC when Halo 5 comes out for x1 if they really want to show their commitment. 

Also, bring back the Age of series

It's nice of them to be supporting PC more (Because they don't have to at all), but the problem is now there is just going to be a bunch of port begging to PC like this. I mean, do you want them to bring all their exclusives to PC and completely get rid of any reason to buy an Xbox One?

"Show commitment"? I mean, they don't need to be supporting PC at all if they don't want to. 

Well the thing is, is that MS doesn't seem to care too much about exclusivity judging from the 8th generation... You have so many games that are being timed exclusive that it really doesn't seem to matter for them when it comes to full exclusivity so I don't think it matters for them either way just so they do it in a smart mannor such as releasing MCC onto PC only after Halo 5 gets released on the x1. And sure, there are port beggers but there are port begging for everything so that doesn't really matter.

And well, you do realize that they make the majority of their money from PC right? Xbox is just a small fraction compared to Windows when it comes to what makes them money so they do need to be supporting PC. Now PC gaming, sure, they don't need to but if they want to which they clearly seems to do, they need to show it and nonsense like Fable Legends won't really impress anyone. And the reason they want to show support is cause they clearly found something in the PC market which will increase their bottom line so if they are serious, they should show it

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

true_fan said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

If they think they're ACTUALLY going to take on and beat Steam... they are delusional. That service is here to stay.

If you think that simultaneaous XB1/PC development won't take a chunk from steam, you are mistaken my friend. We don't know how much, but Valve Business will definitely be affected.

Steam is entrenched with PC gaming to the point of no return. The only thing that can take them down is themselves. 

true_fan said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

If they think they're ACTUALLY going to take on and beat Steam... they are delusional. That service is here to stay.

If you think that simultaneaous XB1/PC development won't take a chunk from steam, you are mistaken my friend. We don't know how much, but Valve Business will definitely be affected.

I agree with you.  It seems that the only reason that I use steam is that I lack a choice.  If M$ goes to all the developers and says "hey, i will cut the fee you pay to online publish in half if you go with me", a shit ton of developers will do it.  OR M$ can offer to them that they just need to publish to both services and receive that same discount.  THe way it seems that M$ is setting up Win10 is such that it will be a lot simpler for the casual crowd to get content/games.  IF they link it to the existing XBL, this will work from day one.  All they have to do is subsidize it for a few years with large discounts for the developers and consumers.  But, once they get a real foothold after 5 years or so, they can slowly move to a more profitable model.  By that time, Steam could be in a more serious financial situation.  You never know, maybe Sony or M$ would buy them out at that point(or sooner).

It is near the end of the end....

AlfredoTurkey said:
true_fan said:

Steam is entrenched with PC gaming to the point of no return. The only thing that can take them down is themselves. 

What if EA,  UBISOFT,  ACTIVISION, SONY, MICROSOFT,  TAKE 2 NINTENDO etc all team up and launch their own steam where they share the 30% cut they previously had to give 
. You're right that STEAM looks untouchable but sony did sony in the TV market once and Nokia with phones. 

Ruler said:
Kerotan said:

Microsoft picked the wrong battle to begin with. Lack of forthsight led them into a battle with Sony. They've been beaten there and now they realise they wasted so many years and so much money fighting the wrong guy. I bet Valve can't believe their luck.

Valve is actually now making the same mistakes like MS and focuses too much on steam-machine instead securing their turf. If MS really goes into PC again valve is going to lose a lot of marketshare, they have alot more money than valve

Except Steam machines also use Steam and the games on Steam are all available for Steam-machine. It's literally the same platform.

Xbox and PC have been completely seperate platforms since the first Xbox console.

Plus, MS' extra money hasn't really helped them compete in the PC space and even on consoles, they've yet to "win" a gen even though they have far more money than either Sony and Nintendo.