By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is Your Favorite exclusive on the Wii?

The_Yoda said:

It may not actually be my favorite but I felt it deserved some love

That's a good one. I didn't like it at first but it grows on you as you play.

Around the Network

Xenoblade Chronicles

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Twilight princess

super_etecoon said:
curl-6 said:

I've been saying this since 3D World was announced; it would have moved more hardware and software had it been a true next gen sequel to Mario 64 instead of a 3DS game.

I'm not really sure this is true.  Super Mario 3D World is an amazing game and I don't think that there were people on the fence for the system who decided not to get it because this wasn't a true 3D Mario successor.  The game scored very highly by critics, has a substantial amount of polish and detail, and provides excellent multiplayer.  More people need to face the music that for many gamers (in particular those lining up to get an XBoxOne and a PS4) platformers and colorful games in general, and specifically Mari games, do not appeal.  We can see it around here the way that many in tis community will reject Nintendo titles without even having played them almost on principle alone.  You're not going to win those folks over with a flashier version of the same thing.

Would the fans be rating it higher and would it be going higher on people's top lists if it were a truly large 3D adventure?  Absolutely. I just maintain that Nintendo's dire straits are not based upon a single game or marketing strategy, but rather the change of the market that's been happening since the PS1 first entered the scene coupled with the mass exodus of blue ocean customers to cheaper, more banal entertainment available on smart phones and tablets.

There's still a market for colourful games, as evidenced by the strong sales of Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, etc.

3D World just played it too safe and lacked the wow factor that would have attracted gamers outside the Nintendo hardcore

Xenoblade Chronicles, it's just...epic.

Runner up Zelda Skyward Sword haters gonna hate hate hate

Around the Network

Xenoblade chronicles, punch out and Mario Strikers

...does Project M count? If not then i suppose Super Paper Mario.

curl-6 said:
super_etecoon said:

There's still a market for colourful games, as evidenced by the strong sales of Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, etc.

3D World just played it too safe and lacked the wow factor that would have attracted gamers outside the Nintendo hardcore

I guess mostly I misread your post subconsciously as "Nintendo wouldn't be in this predicament with the WiiU if they had released a spiritual Mario 64 successor" as opposed to the much more reserved "would have moved more hardware and software" that you actually posted. 

I can't argue against that. Who doesn't want an epic Mario game of 64 proportions! I do think, though, that Nintendo found themselves behind the 8 ball with the lack of 3rd party support and their own teams' inefficiency at creating large scale affairs on the new HD hardware. Nintendo definitely had to go to HD school during the first part of this generation...but I think all of their studying has paid off. Hopefully the transition into their next console isn't as difficult. 

Kotastic said:
...does Project M count? If not then i suppose Super Paper Mario.

Considering the nature of the game, being an unofficial mod, I'd have to say no.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."