By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What would be more attractive in Nintendo's next handheld screens?

What screen would you prefer?

480p regular 7 12.07%

720p regular 23 39.66%

480p free form glass 2 3.45%

720p free form glass 18 31.03%

None, too expensive! 8 13.79%

Total:58
Miyamotoo said:
OdinHades said:
They should go for 1080p at the very least. The resolution of other devices will only get bigger in the future and Nintendos next Handheld should be around for some years to come, until 2020 or something. So if they don't want it to look completely outdated at the day of its release, 1080p is the way to go.

Next Nintendo handheld coming 2016/2017 and 1080p resolution isn't realistic, 480p-720p probably.

Why? You can buy a $200 tablet today that runs 1080p games. Not the highest games maybe, but 1080p nonetheless. 

Again, just because you have a display at a certain resolution doesn't mean all games have to run at that resolution. Your Wii U tablet doesn't melt when it runs SNES or GBA games at non-native resolutions. 

I think the launch price for the next Nintendo portable will be $229.99. The extra $30 over $200 will give them a lot of leeway, and they can drop to $199.99 fairly quickly if they need to without much fuss. 

The $200 3DS XL is the top selling 3DS model ... IMO paying $30 more for something that might be as powerful as a Wii U in handheld form with a higher resolution display is perfectly reasonable to ask for. 

For people who want a cheap handheld -- buy a damn New 3DS. That's what its role will be after the next Nintendo handheld comes out, New 3DS can transition into the "budget/my first handheld" type thing for $129.99/$169.99 (regular/XL). Then $229.99 for the Nintendo Fusion portable. That's a good pricing balance. There's no reason to send the New 3DS out to pasture, it can be stocked at stores through 2018 even, the eShop ensures people can still buy the games. 

Around the Network

Whats free form glass and how would it benefit the system?

If Nintendo's next handheld is $300, the only way I'd find that price acceptable is if Nintendo decides not to create a home console and is copying the PSP/PSP Go's route with the capability of hooking it up to your TV and able to play using a controller.

As for screen-wise, for $300 it should be 1080p normal, but 720p is acceptable for me for handhelds.

An iPad Air 2 with a 2048x1536 resolution 10-inch display and a blazing fast A8 processor with 2GB of RAM costs Apple $278 approximately to make.

A $300 Nintendo portable better perform sexual favors for you, lol.

Seriously I don't think Nintendo would go over $250, probably $230 is the max. Even at that price point, provided they are OK with selling it a low profit margin at first (profit margin will rise as mass production does anyway) they could have something that destroys the Vita. As in completely demolishes it.

Again though I don't view the next Nintendo handheld as the "4DS". This will be a new product line and a new product family, not "the new DS". 

1080p 3D

if too expensive then 540p 3D
(this is 1/4 of 1080p = no blur when played on TV or next handheld in case it offers 1080p screens)

BUT!

Dont make it 540p without AA give it hardware that will make even the most demanding game run at native resolution with at least 1000000000x anti aliasing!

It will look better than the WiiU gamepad because it has higher resolution It also is not streamed, its a smaller screen AND will have AA (I know the WiiU gamepad basically has AA because it shows a 1080p/720p screen on a 480p screen)

Around the Network

The other problem a low resolution display sets is sure that whole "aw shucks Nintendo is using hugely outdated components, lol, so Nintendo" act may be cute for us old fogies who grew up with the old Game Boy and even DS.

But kids today?

They don't play that. They will see their phones and iPad that has 4x+ the resolution and then look at this "new" Nintendo portable and ask why the screen quality is heaping pile of sh*t.

You can't pull the same crap you did with kids who grew up in the 90s or even 2000s now, the kids growing up today expect a lot more from their portable electronics. I think even Nintendo is realizing this. Kids today are not the kids of yesterday. You can't have a device with that low of a resolution and expect it to be taken seriously by this generation of kids. 

$300? The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will be less than that by time it releases. Nintendo should do everything to keep it under $200

I want good games to be displayed on the screens.

I LOVE ICELAND!

teigaga said:
Whats free form glass and how would it benefit the system?

Glass that can be made into any shape. They were talking about using it for something and people were speculating a handheld. 

website: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/7/7511317/sharp-free-form-display-nintendo-ces-2015

Example

I probably won't get it until it's $200, but I'd definitely like a 720p screen.