By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Emulator) Nintendo DS Games in HD (1024 * 768)

Okay guys, the pics should be visible again now. First time I had so many views that my monthly bandwidth limit was taken up lol. Good thing its relatively cheap. :)

Around the Network

This is really amazing, what about Castlevania Order of Eclessia and FF: The 4 heroes of light?

I still cant get over that picture of before and after, for Dragon Quest IX.

Its weird that some games, you see no change at all, and others its so drastic.

Wow, pretty awesome. I had no idea the DS was actually so powerful. Well not really powerful, but more powerful than I thought. It's just the low resolution that has that effect.

Hiku said:

Wow, those look amazing. Kingdom Hearts for example, I'm almost surprised that the game knows to render it that way when looking at the original.

Could you post Suikoden Tierkreis please?
One of the DS games I still have on my backlog.

I think the reason why we notice such a huge differene is because the games have higher resolution textures than we can see (because of the low display resolution.) For some reason developers chose to do this instead of just using low-res textures and putting resources elsewhere (if they can.) I'm thinking it is for artistic reasons. The art is created by the artists and then it looks good enough when the resolution is decreased. So when we render the resolution (basically 16 times the number of pixels being produced) we are able to see the higher-res textures as they were meant to look. We don't experience this with other resolution changes, like say 480p -> 720p so much, because many textures won't exceed this resolution (although some will.) 

@Everyone 

I'll post some more requests in a few hours. Watching a movie right now. 

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Its weird that some games, you see no change at all, and others its so drastic.

Anything that is pre-rendered should look the same, regardless of resolution. I've noticed that a lot of the games with pre-rendered sprites (rather than pixelated sprites) are the ones where you don't notice a difference. 

sc94597 said:
Hiku said:

Wow, those look amazing. Kingdom Hearts for example, I'm almost surprised that the game knows to render it that way when looking at the original.

Could you post Suikoden Tierkreis please?
One of the DS games I still have on my backlog.

I think the reason why we notice such a huge differene is because the games have higher resolution textures than we can see (because of the low display resolution.) For some reason developers chose to do this instead of just using low-res textures and putting resources elsewhere (if they can.) I'm thinking it is for artistic reasons. The art is created by the artists and then it looks good enough when the resolution is decreased. So when we render the resolution (basically 16 times the number of pixels being produced) we are able to see the higher-res textures as they were meant to look. We don't experience this with other resolution changes, like say 480p -> 720p so much, because many textures won't exceed this resolution (although some will.) 

@Everyone 

I'll post some more requests in a few hours. Watching a movie right now. 

^ this.

Artists be proud people :) some of those games look great at higher resolutions.

Sad that nintendo didnt go with a higher resolution display for it, knowing how some of these games can look.

BTW this thread makes Emulation look really good.

Along with preserveing gameing history for the future, its makeing it look damn good.

sc94597 said:
kopstudent89 said:
Wow, talk about remasters! Professor Layton???

Since almost everything is pre-rendered you won't see much of a difference. 

Before

After

XD That's a shame. 

sc94597 said:
Seems like bandwidth limit was reached, that's why some pics aren't working. One second. buying some more.

Isn't photobucket one of those free photo hosting sites? Also, can I see Sonic Rush and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing?

XanderXT said:
sc94597 said:
Seems like bandwidth limit was reached, that's why some pics aren't working. One second. buying some more.

Isn't photobucket one of those free photo hosting sites? Also, can I see Sonic Rush and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing?

It is free up to 10 GB/month of storage (which I wasn't even close, and 10GB/month of bandwidth (how many times people view the pic * files size of pic.) Since I posted like something like 56 pics, averaging about 200 kb each, that means 10GB/.012GB = 833 views for all pics. Since this thread had 4,000 views, it seems about right that I reached the bandwidth limit. It was only $3 bucks though for 20GB more, which should afford me about 2,000 more views. 

As for more game requests, I'll catch up a bit later once I get back home from classes. Might test this emulator on my 3 year old media laptop to see how well it runs on a lower end system that has a dedicated GPU and a decent CPU.