By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Emulator) Nintendo DS Games in HD (1024 * 768)

Here are a bunch of videos of other games (which I didn't upload.) 

Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

View on YouTube

Mario 64 DS

View on YouTube

View on YouTube

Pokemon Black

View on YouTube

Mario Kart DS

View on YouTube

Kingdom Hearts 

View on YouTube

Sonic Rush

View on YouTube

GTA: Chinatown Wars

View on YouTube

Okamiden

View on YouTube

Around the Network

1024 x 768 is not HD.

1920x1080 is.

Teddy said:

1024 x 768 is not HD.

1920x1080 is.

It is really a semantic debate, but most people usually qualify a 720 horizontal resolution as HD and  1920 x 1080 as Full HD. There is nothing special about 1080p or 720p that make them, "HD" they were just attributed that by people as a label to distinguish them from the long standing standard of 480i/480p. 

Either way, 1024 x 768 has 16 times the number of pixels than the original DS resolution. So in comparison to the DS' very low resoluton, 1024 x 768 is indeed "High resolution." 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

XGA - 1024 * 768 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_display_resolution#XGA_.281024.C3.97768.29

WOW, some of those look like total remasters, the difference is enormous.

sc94597 said:
Teddy said:

1024 x 768 is not HD.

1920x1080 is.

It is really a semantic debate, but most people usually qualify a 720 horizontal resolution as HD and  1920 x 1080 as Full HD. There is nothing special about 1080p or 720p that make them, "HD" they were just attributed that by people as a label to distinguish them from the long standing standard of 480i/480p. 

Either way, 1024 x 768 has 16 times the number of pixels than the original DS resolution. So in comparison to the DS' very low resoluton, 1024 x 768 is indeed "High resolution." 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

XGA - 1024 * 768 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_display_resolution#XGA_.281024.C3.97768.29

We call 720p HD ready, it isn't popular with those that have  educated themselves, wit TV but they tend to be able to sell them to those who don't understand the 1080p standard. I guess it may be different in your country USA but UK the SD format is PAL 576i for UK old TV standard, 480 NTSC was never a good standard and a little bit of a joke here as Never (Twice) the Same Colours. If you or other want to be sold a 720p TV then you are being sold a sub HD standard in many people's eyes over in the UK.

1024 x 768 is XGA as you said not HD.

Around the Network
Teddy said:

We call 720p HD ready, it isn't popular with those that have  educated themselves, wit TV but they tend to be able to sell them to those who don't understand the 1080p standard. I guess it may be different in your country USA but UK the SD format is PAL 576i for UK old TV standard, 480 NTSC was never a good standard and a little bit of a joke here as Never (Twice) the Same Colours. If you or other want to be sold a 720p TV then you are being sold a sub HD standard in many people's eyes over in the UK.

Back when HDTV's were new, 720p televisions were quite cheap, so I can definitely see why marketing advertised it as "HD Ready." Most people don't buy anything less than 1080p these days, but HD was still applied to televisions which displayed in 720p. As for XGA and WXGA, many "HD" plasma televisions used these resolutions. I honestly don't care if a resolution is called HD or not by people. It affects nothing. Like I said, these screens have 16 times the pixels of the original DS. 

sc94597 said:
Teddy said:

Back when HDTV's were new, 720p televisions were quite cheap, so I can definitely see why marketing advertised it as "HD Ready." Most people don't buy anything less than 1080p these days, but HD was still applied to televisions which displayed in 720p. As for XGA and WXGA, many "HD" plasma televisions used these resolutions. I honestly don't care if a resolution is called HD or not by people. It affects nothing. Like I said, these screens have 16 times the pixels of the original DS. 

The standards mean different things over in Europe and our HD ready means somthing else, only 1280 x 720p can be called HD ready and 1080p is full HD,  even  1080i is frowned upon here,  I think you cease calling HD ready as a standard back in 2007.  The 1024x768 are basically obsolete as they are not HD there aren't even a 16:9 ratio but a 4:3 standard so that would be stretched over as a 16:9 ratio and you'll lose a lot of quality. It doesn't really matter what it is called I agree but that's what it is called, your attitude is ignorance and that it does make a difference to you, if you were to see them side by side, it don't care if you don't mind but that's what standards are for. Anyway I can see where you are going with this and that's your opinion but you can't dictate your view just because you don't care, that's an argument from ignorance, beause we do over here as I have said even 1080i is not good enough here and that's what the transmission of most TV is on SKY TV which use 1080i but Talktalk use 1080p. Just because something is x16 doesnt make it HD. It makes it higher resolution. Standards are Standards, and your opinion that it doesn't matter what it is called is just ignorance and ignorance shouldn't be the standard. 

We obviously have very different opinion on this so I'll leave if at that but the basic minimum anyone can call 'HD' is 1280x720 which is 921,600 pixels.  1024x768 is 786,432 pixels which is a lot less and not HD.  My old CRT computer monitor in the 90s haha 1024x768 resolution  it was a POS to be honest. XGA display standard introduced in 1990. Later it became the most common 1024x768 pixels display resolution

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/focus/resolution.htm

I rather like the art-clash between Sonic and the environment. I think 2D pixel art and 3D models could look reall good if brought together for a full project. 3D characters and collectables with 2D pixelated platforms and and backgrounds. 

Teddy said:

It doesn't really matter what it is called I agree but that's what it is called, your attitude is ignorance and that it does make a difference to you, if you were to see them side by side, it don't care if you don't mind but that's what standards are for. Anyway I can see where you are going with this and that's your opinion but you can't dictate your view just because you don't care, that's an argument from ignorance, beause we do over here as I have said even 1080i is not good enough here and that's what the transmission of most TV is on SKY TV which use 1080i but Talktalk use 1080p. Just because something is x16 doesnt make it HD. It makes it higher resolution. Standards are Standards, and your opinion that it doesn't matter what it is called is just ignorance and ignorance shouldn't be the standard. 

We obviously have very different opinion on this so I'll leave if at that but the basic minimum anyone can call 'HD' is 1280x720 which is 921,600 pixels.  1024x768 is 786,432 pixels which is a lot less and not HD.  My old CRT computer monitor in the 90s haha 1024x768 resolution  it was a POS to be honest. XGA display standard introduced in 1990. Later it became the most common 1024x768 pixels display resolution

Standards are for telivision manufactuers and the consumers who purchase them. The plasmas that either had an XGA or WXGA screen here were called HD, so even then it has been a blurry (definition-wise) standard for a while. Having said that, the terminology of HD seems to not change over time. Otherwise we wouldn't have things like Ultra HD. 1080p would just become the new SD (Standard Definition) and High Definition (HD) would be 4k (or maybe 1440p.) It doesn't matter when the standard started either. 1080i has been a thing since the 90's as well. 

Honestly, this is like arguing whether it is right to write the word, "color" or "colour." Standardization doesn't give us any more knowledge in this context. If we were buying Telivisions right now, sure I would concede that using the standard terminology is important and useful, but what we are doing is talking about the difference(or multiple) of rendering resolution of two different versions of a game. In that context HD in a colloquial sense is fitting. As for the ignorance statement, what is it that makes 720p and 1080p  special? It is just that they fit the ideal aspect ratio for a widescreen television. That's all. It tells us nothing about picture quality in regards to something with a different aspect ratio. A DS game with an aspect ratio that is 1024 x 768 has similar image quality to and equally sized DS image which would be stretched and reduced to 1280 x 720 (if we ignore the ugly stretching.) Notice that such a resolution as 1024 x 768 also doesn't fit within the Standard Definition terminilogy. So in that case, what would a plasma manfuacturer producing a 4:3 plasma television call the resolution capabilities of said television? It isn't that clear-cut and concise. It is blurry of a label which only works in certain contexts. That is why I choose to ignore it when I describe a game's image quality as HD or not. 

Also you are ignoring the history of the term used in video (rather than televisions) where it is even less stringent and more colloquial. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video

"