By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - sean penn is a hypocrite.

mochachino said:

He also tied up and beat Madonna but nobody seems to care about that. It was a long time ago but it's not like Chris Brown will ever live it down. I get the impression that he can do what he wants and Hollywood and most others will support him.

well, Brown was nominated for a Grammy this year so that it can't be too bad and in the same show Obama had a speech about violence against woman and how this has to stop and how everyone has to help. I found that quite interesting, would have been interesting to be in his mind on that moment. 

Around the Network
dangerguy said:
Mnementh said:
oldschoolfool said:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/02/04/sean-penn-slams-private-gun-ownership-in-2013-stars-in-the-gunman-in-2015/  ---link to article. sean penn is all anti gun,but yet he stars in a movie called the gunman. I mean how hypocritical can one be? jim carrey and liam nesson are also examples of hollywood actors being hypocrites. I'm not anti gun,but I'm also not a hardcore gun-nut. I like these actors that I mentioned,but I think they just need to shut up when it comes to guns. At the very least practice what you preach. So is anyone going to watch the gunman,which has the same director as taken? discuss.

If an actor who is against Nazis depicts Hitler, is he a hypocrite?

haha..this for sure.

It's not the same thing. It'd be the same thing if an actor portrayed a Nazi and the Holocaust in a positive light.  For example, if Schindler's List focused on Amon Goeth's actions and made him look like the hero and Schindler was the enemy.

McDonaldsGuy said:
dangerguy said:
Mnementh said:
oldschoolfool said:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/02/04/sean-penn-slams-private-gun-ownership-in-2013-stars-in-the-gunman-in-2015/  ---link to article. sean penn is all anti gun,but yet he stars in a movie called the gunman. I mean how hypocritical can one be? jim carrey and liam nesson are also examples of hollywood actors being hypocrites. I'm not anti gun,but I'm also not a hardcore gun-nut. I like these actors that I mentioned,but I think they just need to shut up when it comes to guns. At the very least practice what you preach. So is anyone going to watch the gunman,which has the same director as taken? discuss.

If an actor who is against Nazis depicts Hitler, is he a hypocrite?

haha..this for sure.

It's not the same thing. It'd be the same thing if an actor portrayed a Nazi and the Holocaust in a positive light.  For example, if Schindler's List focused on Amon Goeth's actions and made him look like the hero and Schindler was the enemy.

well, but this is about some happening in history, the movie of Penn ist fiction or not? 

Just compare it with Game of Thrones then, are the actors hypocrites when they fuck in a brothel and say they wouldn't do it in real life

crissindahouse said:

well, but this is about some happening in history, the movie of Penn ist fiction or not? 

Just compare it with Game of Thrones then, are the actors hypocrites when they fuck in a brothel and say they wouldn't do it in real life

Actors aren't forced to do anything. If they are against brothels but then glorify it in a movie, they are hypocrites. Glorifying is the key term here. If a vegetarian takes on a role where he has to eat steak, that doesn't make him or her a hypocrite. But if s/he takes on a role in which s/he is a butcher and is the hero and states killing animals is a good goal, then s/he is a hypocrite.

Liam Neeson in Taken clearly thinks guns are the best way to solve problems, and that it makes you look cool. Now if he was a villain hell bent on killing innocent people, that'd be different.

McDonaldsGuy said:
crissindahouse said:

Actors aren't forced to do anything. If they are against brothels but then glorify it in a movie, they are hypocrites. Glorifying is the key term here. If a vegetarian takes on a role where he has to eat steak, that doesn't make him or her a hypocrite. But if s/he takes on a role in which s/he is a butcher and is the hero and states killing animals is a good goal, then s/he is a hypocrite.

Liam Neeson in Taken clearly thinks guns are the best way to solve problems, and that it makes you look cool. Now if he was a villain hell bent on killing innocent people, that'd be different.

Yeah and all those people acting in heist-movies are so bad, how can they show us how awesome this is if they don't support that in real life. Common...

I wonder why nobody came to the conclusion that Brad Pitt has to be either a very sick man in real life or a huge hypocrite for some of the roles he played in his life. 

Around the Network
oldschoolfool said:

This is exactly why I hate Liam Neeson, ever since I found out he was publicly anti-gun...yet makes a living on killing people on-screen. I didn't know about Sean Penn or Jim Carrey till now though. At least Carrey is a comedy guy and not an action guy though. 

DeadNotSleeping said:

"sean penn is all anti gun,but yet he stars in a movie called the gunman. I mean how hypocritical can one be?"

Many actors are attracted to roles in which they must play characters very different from themselves. This is not an example of hypocrisy, but an example of an actor being true to his craft.

So it would be cool for an anti-drug person to shoot up heroin on screen, or a devout atheist to play a preist? I get what you're saying it's just acting, but it's sad that someone is making a living off something they are against. 

oldschoolfool said:

Your logic is incredibly dull witted. That's like saying Tim Roth is a hypocrite for promoting women's rights while playing a rapist and sexist in various movies. Or that people who play Nazis or terrorists have to nazis or terrorists.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Marks said:
DeadNotSleeping said:

"sean penn is all anti gun,but yet he stars in a movie called the gunman. I mean how hypocritical can one be?"

Many actors are attracted to roles in which they must play characters very different from themselves. This is not an example of hypocrisy, but an example of an actor being true to his craft.

So it would be cool for an anti-drug person to shoot up heroin on screen, or a devout atheist to play a preist? I get what you're saying it's just acting, but it's sad that someone is making a living off something they are against. 

Yes.  It would absolutely be ok.  Unless the movie is a blatant endorsement of drugs or something.

Morgan Freeman played god in Bruce Almighty despite being an atheist.  It's not hypocritical, because that movie was not about how you should worship god.  Now, if Morgan Freeman was in the passion of the christ, that may have been different.

Morgan Freeman 

Marks said:
DeadNotSleeping said:

I would bet that most long-time actors played something in a role which they don't like/support in real life. If it's the role of a guy who likes illegal street races, the person who loves bank heists an does let them look cool, the role of a mother who has a dog even if the actress doesn't like them much in real life or the man who acts as happy janitor even if the actor always thought that's a job which can't be fun...

These are roles in fictional films, they don't have to be made only by people who are exactly like that in reality. Not  the actors, not of the writers and producers and not anyone involved in most projects.  I would be pretty scared if books of some writers would represent how they are if they could only write what they support without getting called hypocrites.