By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - sean penn is a hypocrite.

crissindahouse said:
Marks said:

So it would be cool for an anti-drug person to shoot up heroin on screen, or a devout atheist to play a preist? I get what you're saying it's just acting, but it's sad that someone is making a living off something they are against. 

I would bet that most long-time actors played something in a role which they don't like/support in real life. If it's the role of a guy who likes illegal street races, the person who loves bank heists an does let them look cool, the role of a mother who has a dog even if she doesn't like them much in real life or the man who acts as happy janitor even if he always thought that's a job which can't be fun...

These are roles in fictional films, they don't have to be made only by people who are exactly like that in reality. Not  the actors, not of the writers and producers and not anyone involved in most projects.  I would be pretty scared if books of some writers would represent how they are if they could only write what they support without getting called hypocrites. 

But when politics are involved and legislation of laws, you have to have certain credentialts and make actions that support your brand of thought and what changes you would like to see in society!

just as I would find it disturbing if politicians honestly admitted to loving house of cards, or reading bullshit books like 48 laws of power, which one I know who is politically involved has been doing... And I find people like that being put in charge fucked up.

if you wanna talk politics and change, always be an example of what you wanna change... These are laws that will change millions of lives, so being wishy washy about principles is naturally seen as hypocritical.

Around the Network

Neh.. He used to be a gun collector.. He's only saying he's anti gun so he can shag Charlize Theron.. I would say lotsa thing to shag Chalize Theron; i love Justin Bieber Music, i like canada.. And many more

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Marks said:
DeadNotSleeping said:

"sean penn is all anti gun,but yet he stars in a movie called the gunman. I mean how hypocritical can one be?"

Many actors are attracted to roles in which they must play characters very different from themselves. This is not an example of hypocrisy, but an example of an actor being true to his craft.

So it would be cool for an anti-drug person to shoot up heroin on screen, or a devout atheist to play a preist? I get what you're saying it's just acting, but it's sad that someone is making a living off something they are against. 

Yes, it is cool for an anti-drug person to "shoot up heroin" on screen or a devout atheist to play a priest.  Neither is an example of hypocrisy.  There are those who refuse roles which are opposed to their beliefs, but that decision is, at best, supereragotory (morally praiseworthy but not morally obligatory).

McDonaldsGuy said:
Screamapillar said:

He's an actor. He works for a paycheck, just like most of the rest of us.

I work at a convenience store. I'm against alcohol abuse. Does that mean I ought to refuse to sell booze to people that I know are alcoholics? No. If you are a consenting adult, it's your choice if you wish to cause harm to your own body. It's not my place to interfere. You're going to live how you want to live.

Actors portray others in film and television.  It doesn't have any correlation to their beliefs in real life.  If Jeff Daniels plays a plantation owner in the south during the 1830's in a film, it doesn't mean that he's pro-slavery.  How silly would it be if someone were to crticize Jeff Daniels in real life for protraying a historicial figure in a film?   Pretty darn silly.  He's pretending to be somebody else for money. 

Sean Penn is a very progressive person.  He supports anti-gun legislation and he is generally very liberal.  He plays other people when he's at work.  It doesn't have anything to do with his personal beliefs.  You might not like it, or you might even argue that it's ironic.  It's not hypocrisy, though.

Are you advertising the beer yourself? By glorifying guns in a movie he advertises it as well. If you starred in a beer commercial, then yes, you would be a hypocrite.

If he was a villain, and really evil and used guns, that'd be different.

I don't know what this movie is about though, so I am speaking in general. Like how Liam Neeson is against guns yet his movies always glorify them.

If Jeff Daniels played a plantation owner in a movie, it'll likely not glorify it. He'd either be a villain, or an anti-hero. Never glorified or look "cool" and good. If Jeff Daniels made a movie where the plantation owner is a hero, and promotes slavery clearly, then yes him choosing that role is questionable and hypocritical.

If I advertised beer, it wouldn't make me a hypocrite.  Not unless you consider all alcohol consumption as abuse.  Respectfully, as others in this thread have already pointed out in so many words, your system of rules doesn't make too much sense to me.  I don't agree with your point of view on this topic.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.