By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if The WiiU's rumored AAA Game is Kingdom hearts 3?

SubiyaCryolite said:
Materia-Blade said:

Won't matter much since wii u doesn't use an off the shelf gpu.

Should we dismiss that figure even though evidence points towards it?

There is no evidence.

Around the Network
Kami said:

Well one It doesn't take a "qualified" individual to look at a CPU and tell where everything is. You can learn stuff like that at a summer camp for computer guys. You can't ideitify pipelines, and cache for example by looking at a chip but it's not hard. What I find very interesting is that you don't believe any of the Wii U specs but the same guys made the specs for the PS4 and Xbox One and you haven't said anything about that. The Wii U is defintely not stronger than what people are "guessing" as you say, It's a simple console with a simple cpu and a discrete GPU. 

And? I have other strengths. I deal with transistors on a daily basis as a physics student, and have a good understanding of the math involving their power consumption. These are the things they used to predict the Wii U's power. 

As for your second comment:

The PS4 has official specs. 

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/ps4/techspecs/

The Xbone has multiple sources describing its specifications, many of which are official. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6976/amds-jaguar-architecture-the-cpu-powering-xbox-one-playstation-4-kabini-temash/4

Everything about the Wii U's specs is conflicting depending on who is looking at it, although the general consensus is in between generations. 

Kami said:
Materia-Blade said:

Stop with these exaggerations. any game could be ported to wii u. If lowering the resolution to 720p isn't enough to run properly, some minor/moderate downgrades seal the deal.

And what would be the downgrades? Resolution, Physics, Framerate? With the few games that are cross platform for Xbox One and PS4 that are aslo on the Wii U, those games were not impressive on any platform. COD: Ghost ran at an unlocked frame rate at 720p and it looked like the PS3 and 360 version but ran noticably less framerates. Ghost wasn't even a demanding game on current gen consoles and it needed significant downgrades on the Wii U. SO what has changed if KH3 made it's way to Wii U. 

I'm talking about graphical downgrades. those multiplatforms like cod ghosts don't represent the wii u's power, since they are far bellow exclusive titles.

sc94597 said:

And? I have other strengths. I deal with transistors on a daily basis as a physics student, and have a good understanding of the math involving their power consumption. These are the things they used to predict the Wii U's power. 

The Xbone has multiple sources describing its specifications, many of which are official. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6976/amds-jaguar-architecture-the-cpu-powering-xbox-one-playstation-4-kabini-temash/4

Everything about the Wii U's specs is conflicting depending on who is looking at it, although the general consensus is in between generations. 

Ok I didn't say anything about you're other strenghts. So where does it say the PS4 is clocked at 1.6 GHZ, Where does it say the PS4 has 8 ACE units or any of that other stuff? If the people got the PS4 specs rights they proabably got the Wii U specs right. The Wii U is just as simply configured at the PS4 and Xbox One. It's not like they are looking at CBU like the PS3 had. 

Current Consoles: PS3, PS4, Wii U

PC Specs: i7-4770, GTX 560 Ti, 12GB 1600Mhz DDR3

Materia-Blade said:
Kami said:

And what would be the downgrades? Resolution, Physics, Framerate? With the few games that are cross platform for Xbox One and PS4 that are aslo on the Wii U, those games were not impressive on any platform. COD: Ghost ran at an unlocked frame rate at 720p and it looked like the PS3 and 360 version but ran noticably less framerates. Ghost wasn't even a demanding game on current gen consoles and it needed significant downgrades on the Wii U. SO what has changed if KH3 made it's way to Wii U. 

I'm talking about graphical downgrades. those multiplatforms like cod ghosts don't represent the wii u's power, since they are far bellow exclusive titles.

So every port is a bad port and they most demanding game they have (bayonetta 2) runs at 720p unlocked fps.... KH3 just isn't possible on Wii U without editing the UE4 source would severly change the game and have a host full of downgardes. No AA, no post processing effects, no acceleteraed texture mapping, lower frame rate and lower resolution.  DO you really think square is going to invest the extra time to optimize a lesser version of their game. 

Around the Network
Kami said:

Ok I didn't say anything about you're other strenghts. So where does it say the PS4 is clocked at 1.6 GHZ, Where does it say the PS4 has 8 ACE units or any of that other stuff? If the people got the PS4 specs rights they proabably got the Wii U specs right. The Wii U is just as simply configured at the PS4 and Xbox One. It's not like they are looking at CBU like the PS3 had. 

What about you? Can you look at a picture of the Wii U's motherboard or GPU and derive conclusions? If so, go! 

Weren't we talking about floating point performance? How do you know all of their PS4 specs which weren't given by Sony are correct? It's easy to get specification right if you are given them in the first place. There isn't a device on the motherboard that tells us the theoretical performance of the Wii U. People have to figure that out. It is entirely different from counting certain features by looking at the physical component on the board. There are assumptions involved, and calculations to be made. 

Here is the analysis that ended with 178-350 gflops by the way. Notice how they mention that the GPU isn't just a r700. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511628

"The die is exactly 11.88 x 12.33mm (146.48mm²). Chipworks believe that it's "fabricated in a 40 nm advanced CMOS process at TSMC". It carries Renesas die markings, but no AMD die markings (although there is an AMD marking on the MCM heat-spreader). This is unexpected, as it was widely reported that the GPU was originally based on AMD's R700 line, and Nintendo publicly referred to it as a Radeon-based GPU. As the die appears to be very highly customised (it looks very different to other R700-based GPUs), the markings (or lack thereof) may indicate that the customisations were not done by AMD, but rather by Nintendo and Renesas."

"It it worth noting at this stage that a large portion of the GPU logic is still unexplained."

Kami said:
sc94597 said:

What part of "OFICIAL SPECS" you don't understand. Sony released all/most of the ps4's specs. "people" didn't get it right, it was officialy revealed.

Materia-Blade said:
Kami said:

What part of "OFICIAL SPECS" you don't understand. Sony released all/most of the ps4's specs. "people" didn't get it right, it was officialy revealed.

Provide a link where ALL of the *OFFICAL specs are released? Show my a Sony website that has all of the ROPS, ACEs, ALUs and etc. 

(You can't btw)

sc94597 said:
Kami said:

What about you? Can you look at a picture of the Wii U's motherboard or GPU and derive conclusions? If so, go! 

Weren't we talking about floating point performance? How do you know all of their PS4 specs which weren't given by Sony are correct? It's easy to get specification right if you are given them in the first place. There isn't a device on the motherboard that tells us the theoretical performance of the Wii U. People have to figure that out. It is entirely different from counting certain features by looking at the physical component on the board. There are assumptions involved, and calculations to be made. 

Here is the analysis that ended with 178-350 gflops by the way. Notice how they mention that the GPU isn't just a r700. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511628

"The die is exactly 11.88 x 12.33mm (146.48mm²). Chipworks believe that it's "fabricated in a 40 nm advanced CMOS process at TSMC". It carries Renesas die markings, but no AMD die markings (although there is an AMD marking on the MCM heat-spreader). This is unexpected, as it was widely reported that the GPU was originally based on AMD's R700 line, and Nintendo publicly referred to it as a Radeon-based GPU. As the die appears to be very highly customised (it looks very different to other R700-based GPUs), the markings (or lack thereof) may indicate that the customisations were not done by AMD, but rather by Nintendo and Renesas."

"It it worth noting at this stage that a large portion of the GPU logic is still unexplained."

hat makes their opinion more believable then the popular one? 

Kami said:

hat makes their opinion more believable then the popular one? 

Their opinion is the popular one you keep citing. The 170 - 350 gflop estimate comes from the collection of articles found in that post. 

And even they say;

It it worth noting at this stage that a large portion of the GPU logic is still unexplained.