By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are some of the biggest myths in video gaming?

Ka-pi96 said:
Slarvax said:
Pokemon Emerald: Finish the game, clock in exactly 333:33 hours, fly over Mosdeep City 200 times, beat every Frontier Brain, defeat the Champion, defeat Steven. With all that done, start traveling through all of Hoenn, you should find a tree with an eye. Interact with it, and you should fight Vs Jirachi.

Did you just make that up yourself?

Back in my young days, I reaaally wanted legendaries. There have always been roumors about how to get some Pokemon. So people made up this weird ass myths. Haven't you heard that Mew is behind the truck in Pokemon Red and Blue?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Slarvax said:

Back in my young days, I reaaally wanted legendaries. There have always been roumors about how to get some Pokemon. So people made up this weird ass myths. Haven't you heard that Mew is behind the truck in Pokemon Red and Blue?

Yeah, of course I've heard that one

Don't think I ever actually tried any of these though, other than the Missing No. one of course.

Lol, I did try a few. And like my example, they were all 3rd Gen. I wanted a Deoxys very badly, I would've tried everything to get it

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

Slarvax said:
Pokemon Emerald: Finish the game, clock in exactly 333:33 hours, fly over Mosdeep City 200 times, beat every Frontier Brain, defeat the Champion, defeat Steven. With all that done, start traveling through all of Hoenn, you should find a tree with an eye. Interact with it, and you should fight Vs Jirachi.

Alright, I'll try your myth and you'll try mine:

To unlock Luigi in Super Mario 64, run around the 'eternal star' (that star statue in the garden) 2401 times. Luigi will then become real.

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Zisbest said:
Slarvax said:

Alright, I'll try your myth and you'll try mine:

To unlock Luigi in Super Mario 64, run around the 'eternal star' (that star statue in the garden) 2401 times. Luigi will then become real.

Laaaame. I prefer the Wauigi myths in Super Mario 64 DS.

Ruler said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

Nintendo has saved gaming twice though:

- NES: due to the seal of quality, it helped prevent another gaming crash. Also made gaming more mainstream and its games are the basis of gaming today. Super Mario Bros. was loads more advanced than Pitfall, Zelda was entirely new pretty much, etc. etc.

- Wii: Gaming was becoming stagnant, and gamers were getting stereotyped hard. Wii opened it up to a whole new audience and made gaming truly mainstream. Continues today with smartphones now.

Gaming was alive in arcades and homecomputers at the time, nintendo hasnt saved anything other than console gaming

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what kind of games were most popular around the time of Apple II or Commodore 64?

Around the Network
Groundking said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

The PS2 didn't create new gamers, however. The PS2 still mainly appealed to the male 14-35 demographic that the PS1 did. The Wii expanded it to new demographics. That's how the Wii saved gaming.

The NES barely got a release in Europe because in the 80s it was still recovering and dealing with Communism. Europe just wasn't ready, but if it was, the NES would have sold well there. Europe didn't become a valuable market in terms of sales til the mid 90s.

Then explain why PC gaming was, and still is, so large in Europe? You talk utter tripe. The NES did nothing for gaming, other than bringing the classic Nintendo IP's to the world.

All this talk about PC games still being big and I'm just thinking, "Okay?" 

The kinds of games you got on NES were way different than what you got on computers at the time. I'm positive that you would have never seen a game like Super Mario Bros on a Commodore or Apple II or whatever. A game that probably get's brought up too much but I'll do it anyway: The Legend of Zelda. Look, I'm not going to say it's a perfect masterpiece that should be held up on a pedestal. But you cannot deny that game's impact. Nobody really saw games like that at the time. An objective and an end without high-scores or lives. Could you honestly say that games today would be the same without big N?

Chubomik said:
Groundking said:

Then explain why PC gaming was, and still is, so large in Europe? You talk utter tripe. The NES did nothing for gaming, other than bringing the classic Nintendo IP's to the world.

The kinds of games you got on NES were way different than what you got on computers at the time. I'm positive that you would have never seen a game like Super Mario Bros on a Commodore or Apple II or whatever. A game that probably get's brought up too much but I'll do it anyway: The Legend of Zelda. Look, I'm not going to say it's a perfect masterpiece that should be held up on a pedestal. But you cannot deny that game's impact. Nobody really saw games like that at the time. An objective and an end without high-scores or lives. Could you honestly say that games today would be the same without big N?

A lot of these guys grew up with PlayStation so they don't realize the impact Nintendo had.

Chubomik said:
Groundking said:

ill give you Zelda but im pretty sure there were platform games before Super Mario

IMHO if it wasnt Ninty it would have been someone else. Now there is no way to prove that false or otherwise and it doesnt take away from the impact Ninty had

oniyide said:
Chubomik said:

ill give you Zelda but im pretty sure there were platform games before Super Mario

IMHO if it wasnt Ninty it would have been someone else. Now there is no way to prove that false or otherwise and it doesnt take away from the impact Ninty had

I don't know, there aren't many Shigeru's or Sakurai's out there that would make gaming be what it is today.

Unless I were a multi-dimensional being or something, WHICH I'M TOTALLY NOT BY THE WAY

Chubomik said:
oniyide said:

I don't know, there aren't many Shigeru's or Sakurai's out there that would make gaming be what it is today.

Unless I were a multi-dimensional being or something, WHICH I'M TOTALLY NOT BY THE WAY

theres like what a billion people on Earth? But im not a multi-dimensional being either so who knows?