By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 is about to surpass Wii's highest market share

rolltide101x said:
I think the PS4 ends up somewhere between 45-49. I do not think it can take 50%

Why do you think the PS4 won't at least temporarily take the majority of the home console market for this gen?

It is already at 48.4% worldwide

It has some big exclusives coming out relatively soon

Some multiplatform games will help to kick start the sales in Japan.

It has yet to launch in China.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
Unfortunately it will only achieve greater market share because last gen all 3 did great while this gen 2 are going to decline while 1 will increase. WiiU is the big dropoff (as much as I wish it and X1 would switch places marketshare wise) and will open the door to 50% market share.

Yeah: I'm happy for PS4 and Sony that really needs its success, but I wish it could reach 50% with both XBOne and Wii U doing at least very good too, it would mean the best gen ever.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I think that PS4 will have 65 to 70 % of market.

PS4: 100,000,000
XBO: 32,000,000
WiiU: 18,000,000

Zod95 said:
Puppyroach said:
Wii almost managed it against two consoles that would end up selling almost 90mn each... competition has changed :).

The fact that they sold 190M proves that Wii hasn't managed it.

Hence the word "almost". It goes to prove how much tougher competition was last gen, and how much stronger all three consoles were.

Puppyroach said:
Zod95 said:
Puppyroach said:
Wii almost managed it against two consoles that would end up selling almost 90mn each... competition has changed :).

The fact that they sold 190M proves that Wii hasn't managed it.

Hence the word "almost". It goes to prove how much tougher competition was last gen, and how much stronger all three consoles were.

The last generation was indeed very competitive and the most balanced of all time.

As for the Wii, it wasn't even close to manage it. PS3 and X360 were very promising since the beginning and we all knew that at some point they would catch up the Wii. Could Nintendo prevent it? Maybe. At least they had lots of time to act. Next-gen games got delayed over and over while the Wii was enjoying a great momentum. Nintendo has earned billions with DS and Wii and could have used at least a third of it to reinvest on the platforms, creating more AAA games and innovative experiences. Unfortunately they didn't and let the others come and eat up their market share. I guess they valued more the billions they cashed in.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

Around the Network
Zod95 said:

The last generation was indeed very competitive and the most balanced of all time.

As for the Wii, it wasn't even close to manage it. PS3 and X360 were very promising since the beginning and we all knew that at some point they would catch up the Wii. Could Nintendo prevent it? Maybe. At least they had lots of time to act. Next-gen games got delayed over and over while the Wii was enjoying a great momentum. Nintendo has earned billions with DS and Wii and could have used at least a third of it to reinvest on the platforms, creating more AAA games and innovative experiences. Unfortunately they didn't and let the others come and eat up their market share. I guess they valued more the billions they cashed in.

They reached a 48.3% market share, I would say that consitues being very close to managing it :).

Puppyroach said:
Zod95 said:

They reached a 48.3% market share, I would say that consitues being very close to managing it :).

I think he meant lifetime, and in that case he's right.

The PS4 can reach more than 65% marketshare in the end, specially with the WiiU doind poorly and the XBone being outsold by the PS4by a lot. The Wii, even as the monter it was saleswise, had much more consistent competition.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

SlayerRondo said:
rolltide101x said:
I think the PS4 ends up somewhere between 45-49. I do not think it can take 50%

Why do you think the PS4 won't at least temporarily take the majority of the home console market for this gen?

It is already at 48.4% worldwide

It has some big exclusives coming out relatively soon

Some multiplatform games will help to kick start the sales in Japan.

It has yet to launch in China.

Why do you automatically assume the PS4 will win China? It may pass 50% at some point but it will not end up at 50% I do think MS is willing to lose tons of money on the XBOne with bundles that Sony is not. Bundles will keep the XBOne competitive. I am a Sony go for a fact but if I was someone who had no preference I would have went with the XBOne with its awesome bundles last year. 

Makes sense. 360+PS3 were more competition than XBO+Wii U.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread