By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Zelda U Have a Chance At 5Mil+ Lifetime WW? (Or Close To It)

it has a chance but the install base of the Wii U makes me doubt it. I see it more near to 4m than 5m.

Around the Network
Skullwaker said:
contestgamer said:
Yeah, that really killed Wiifit 2 sales

It certainly killed Wii Fit U's sales after the casual craze ended.

You were talking about peripherals specifically killing the sales of certain games. That was not the case in that example.

Skullwaker said:
contestgamer said:
Always? Zelda is not what it once was. Ocarina of Time is what made Zelda blockbuster series. TP captured the sales, but as a game was disappointing compared to OOT. Zelda SS was even more disappointing. Zelda does not have the fanfare it once had. People aren't waiting for Zelda to reshape the video game landscape as they once did with every sequel.

If Zelda U does what OOT once did, or even close to it then it'll sell 7 million. If it does what every other Zelda since MM did then it's not reaching 4 million.

Yes, always. Did I stutter? Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have all sold 4.5m+. This is a fact. I don't care about your personal feelings. I'm talking facts. 

You can predict doom and gloom all you want. So many users and sites predicted that MK8 would be the lowest selling game in the franchise and would sell barely 2-3m lifetime. Now it's over 4m in less than a year. We have no idea how sales could go with any Wii U game at this point.

MK Sales always dwarf that of Zelda. 4 million for an MK game doesn't spell a bright future for Zelda.

contestgamer said:
That peripheral has an install base larger than the entire install base of the Gamecube and N64  - combined. Zelda SS bombed on an install base that was still gigantic.

SS launched at the exact end of the Wii's life, when the casuals had abandoned it and the core audience, for the most part, didn't want anything to do with the Wii. Comparing it to a title that came out in 2009, when the Wii was selling like hotcakes and so were its games, is ridiculous at best. 

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

contestgamer said:
You were talking about peripherals specifically killing the sales of certain games. That was not the case in that example.

In one example. Yeah. Have fun ignoring the multitude of others, especially ones that apply more in this scenario (Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask).

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
tbone51 said:

Hmm. SS i think is undertracked. At least thats what i recall, and i wouldn't cal SS a bomb at all. Yes it didn't do TP sales, but 4mil+is still huge. (Despite being on Wii Installbase).

Also LoZ WW HD last known was 1.22mil Sold (that figure i believe was a year ago) so its most likely around 1.5mil, if not higher so it'll be about 1.8mil-2.2mil lifetime. Thats a remake of a 4mil game! There is also Hyrule Warriors that did 1mil in 3months (well japan had 5months), i think 3mil is guaranteed at this point already. But hey i could be wrong!

4m is huge? Zelda is considered Nintendo's most treasured franchise alongside Mario. SS' sales impact is basically miniscule in the Wii's library or even compared to any blockbuster game on any console. We've had Ubisoft calling failures on 3 millions selling titles before. 4 million for a flagship series is peanuts.

WTF? 4mil is huge...Soooo?

Yes its One of Nintendo Biggest IP but that doesn't mean 4mil is bad. Besides have you looked at all Zelda games? Most games are around 3mil mark. Every game is different as to sales. Ubisoft calling failures to something selling 3mil means they were looking at 5mil-10mil sales. I cant help you there.

contestgamer said:
Skullwaker said:

Yes, always. Did I stutter? Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have all sold 4.5m+. This is a fact. I don't care about your personal feelings. I'm talking facts. 

You can predict doom and gloom all you want. So many users and sites predicted that MK8 would be the lowest selling game in the franchise and would sell barely 2-3m lifetime. Now it's over 4m in less than a year. We have no idea how sales could go with any Wii U game at this point.

MK Sales always dwarf that of Zelda. 4 million for an MK game doesn't spell a bright future for Zelda.

Ok Seriously WTH... 

~MK8 isnt at 4mil, its 4.77mil (so its actually closer to 5mil)

~Its on an install base of 9.2mil, thats over 50% attach rate

~It seems your basing your thoughts on 1 Mario Kart Game (MKwii). Look at all MK games, not just 1

~5mil is extremely good. And thats what MK8will have when 1st year is up. Lifetime will be no less than 6mil

contestgamer said:
Skullwaker said:

You're missing the point. It sold less because of the peripheral. I don't care how much more it sold than Zelda. I'm not comparing the sales of Zelda to Wii Sports. I'm comparing the effects of the required peripheral. It's generally known that Wii Sports games, excluding Club, sell more than Zelda. This doesn't support your argument. 

That peripheral has an install base larger than the entire install base of the Gamecube and N64  - combined. Zelda SS bombed on an install base that was still gigantic.

That peripheral was bought mostly by casual gamers. They don't care about Zelda at all. The 50M Wii Motion Plus don't reflect the potential of Zelda SS at all. 

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

contestgamer said:
MK Sales always dwarf that of Zelda. 4 million for an MK game doesn't spell a bright future for Zelda.4

4 million in less than a year. And it launched on an install base of what, 6 million? That's insane no matter how you spin it. And why doesn't it? MK will go on to sell millions more before its life is over. Besides, it's been proven time and time again that MK sales have no relation to Zelda sales. Super Mario Kart sold 8.76m while A Link to the Past sold 4.61m. Okay, so that's about half. But wait, Double Dash sold 6.95m while Wind Waker sold 4.6m. So that's 2/3 of its sales. Hold on, Mario Kart 64 sold 9.87m and Ocarina of Time sold 7.6m. That's over 3/4.

There is no pattern in this. It's random every time. The only thing that's consistent is Mario Kart does outsell Zelda, but the ratio is different each time.

Given the audience unlikely. We all know its going to have a high attach ratio, but what was the last Zelda game to have 25%+?

I say 4m.