By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thinking about getting The Order 1886

all i can say is that i will be buying additional dlc and a sequel (if there will be any) because i'd like to know more about story, characters and the world. imo buying the order at launch should be seen as an investment in a very promising ip concept.

Around the Network

The story was pretty poor. Especially the ending.

I am about 5 hours in and I have to say thus far, no, the story is not all that good. I watched some of it on Youtube and I read a lot of the reviews so I knew there was issues with the story coming in but yeah, the narrative is not great. I would not put in on Ryse level. I thought the Ryse narrative and tale of revenge was pretty great.

Another difference between it and Ryse is that while Ryse is also cinematic, you're at least experiencing gameplay for most of the game it seemed. In The Order, so far it has seemed almost 50/50 or even like 60/40 in terms of cinematics/QTE's versus actual gameplay.

And the gameplay itself is not that good, thus far. There is almost no variety in enemies, the guns almost all perform the same. They have no kick, no bite to them. And the awesome gore we saw in gifs everyone posted around the Internets is literally limited to those two guns the people were using. The lightning gun and sawed off shotgun, neither of which are common in the game, are really the only weapons I have found satisfying so far. Even the almighty thermite gun was a disappointment to me.

You can Redbox it or Gamefly it and be done in a day or two. I would not recommend a $60 purchase.

Played it and finished it Sunday night. I enjoyed it all the way through and I actually enjoyed the story. My only real gripe is that it feels more like a prologue. If the game gets a sequel, which I hope it does, that is where things will really begin kicking into high gear.

Whether you find a 7-9 hour game to be worth $60 is entirely up to you. Personally, I didn't mind since I enjoyed those hours.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I like the game a lot, it is fun. That is my honest opinion.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
Played it and finished it Sunday night. I enjoyed it all the way through and I actually enjoyed the story. My only real gripe is that it feels more like a prologue. If the game gets a sequel, which I hope it does, that is where things will really begin kicking into high gear.

Whether you find a 7-9 hour game to be worth $60 is entirely up to you. Personally, I didn't mind since I enjoyed those hours.

Yeah, that's my feeling as well. I absolutely hated the first hour or so as it seemed to confirm every complaint I'd read about the game. But once it got going, I enjoyed it a lot despite some truly boneheaded design decisions here and there.

It's rare that you see a game take itself as seriously as The Order does. It is so damned earnest. There is nothing tongue in cheek about it at all, no snappy one liners or references to internet memes. I don't know that I'd say the story is that good, but the characters definitely are. They are among the most believeable I've ever seen in a game.

The gunplay is a ton of fun, too. I only wish there were more of it. Hopefully RAD will get a chance to do a sequel, because if they takes the criticisms about pacing and QTEs on board The Order: 1887 could really be something special. It'd be a real shame if the mixed reception translates into poor sales and deprives them of that chance.

If you are mainly concerned about the story. Then no I would pass. I found the story, characters, and gameplay extremely forgettable and not really flushed out. Picture the beginning suggestions for storyboards just being utilized as the final comic without being expanded on.   Not only was it linear, it forced its linearity with cutscenes.  The graphics and setting in this game are amazing though. There has never been a video game that looks this good graphically for any system period.  

I finished around 10 chapters and I would definitely say the game's cinematic style gameplay does outweigh the missing the elements like MP for instance. These kind of games for me definitely mean having a blast! The reviews are shockingly unfair. Never in my experience of gaming I came across such unfair reviews for a game that was indeed this good.

Im a few hours in and im really enjoying it. Gameplay is good, but not amazing. So far I haven't been annoyed with the cut scenes or QTE. And its beautiful. 

I enjoyed all 11 hours it took me to platinum it.

That being said you can decided what 11 hrs is worth to you.