By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 v Wii U lifetime Japan sales.

Salnax said:

My guess: the PS4 surpasses the Wii U in early 2016, with the Wii U selling 5 million lifetime and the PS4 selling 9 million lifetime.

I just want to show how likely/unlikely this is. 

In order for the PS4 to outsell the Wii U in Japan by say January 2016 it must close a gap of 1,154,105 in Japan (from Feb 1 2015.) That means it must outsell the Wii U by 24,403 on an average week. If you meant some time in the first half of 2016, such as, say, June at the latest. That would imply an average of 15,516 more sales than Wii U on a weekly basis. 

Currently the PS4 averages around 21k per week and the Wii U 19.5k per week. 

Do you predict Wii U sales in Japan to decline and PS4 sales to increase so much that the gap per week is about 20k on average, whereas now it is about 2k. That would mean that either PS4 sales will have to double and the Wii U remains the same (on average,) Wii U's sales decrease by 50% and the PS4's sales increase by 50% or some combination in between these cases. I'm sure FFXV will increase PS4 sales considerably, but will they increase the sales so much that the PS4's sales double or even become 50% more than last year's? 

Final Fantasy XIII sold 1.87 Mil  in Japan, and 1.5 MIl in its first year. Let's assume FFXV sells similarly, and let's also say that for every five people who buy FFXV one doesn't have a PS4 already, in anticipation for the game. 1.5 Mil/5 = 300k extra hardware sales. The PS4 sold 992,112 last year. And that is including its launch, but excluding the month of January and half of Febuary. That would be about 30% more PS4's than 2014. That would also mean, only an average of 26.9 k PS4's per week. So in order to sell the 24k more than the Wii U that it needs to outsell it by January, the Wii U needs to average about 2k Japanese sales per week for the rest of 2015.

Sure the PS4 has other games coming, but a lot of their audiences overlap so we have no idea how much of system sellers they will be. 

2016 seems way to early for the PS4 to outsell the Wii U, unless it starts selling like 40k/weekly in Japan, on average. That is around what the PS3 was selling in its peak. So if you think the PS4 will outsell the Wii U by early 2016, but won't outsell the PS3 that is kind of a conflicting set of predictions, in my opinion. 

Around the Network
b00moscone said:
small44 said:

I mean the difference would be as big as Monster hunter handheld version vs Monster hunter console version.

Wii software was bought by Nintendo fans and casuals gamers but Wii u has only Nintendo fans,because nobody buy casuals games anymore on Nintendo home consoles dosn't mean the hardocre software sales would increase

Back when Monter hunter 3 Ultimate was released, both the 3DS and Wii U fanbase were smaller than now, with sales for the console being most likely a bit more than half what it is in Japan, so obviously the sales wouldn't be substantial, however, as there is a bigger fanbase in Japan, and those games have become more popular and known to be on Nintendo systems, sales would increase.

And i am aware that hardcore software sales will increase, because there is a same variety of game on the Wii and Wii U, sales will only decline, but as at least half the sales were most likely hardcore fans, the sales will still be impressive.

Oh, and what is your answer to your actual thread? Because judging by what you are saying i doubt you think it will be bright for the Wii U.

Monster hunter 3rd portable does 500k in a 10 millions userbase wii u will never have 10 millions userbase.

People buy a wii u for Nintendo first party game only while wii was bought by people who want Nintendo first party game too and casuals gamers and both lack hardcore games.PS3 and PS4 in other hand was always bought for hardcore 3rd party games.

So if ps3 software sold more then wii,ps4 will sold more software then wii u.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

With a very good possability of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter, and Persona all having mainline games exclusive to PS4, it will easily outsell WiiU. With that line-up plus so much more, it should also blow buy PS3 quite easily. My guess would be PS4 overtakes WiiU early 2016.

With Remote Play set to come to nearly all smartphones, and a Sony brining their focus almost 100% on PlayStation, I expect PS4 to sell quite better than people are expecting, even in Japan.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Japan seemed to be the only region the Wii U was doing OK but lately it looks like PS4 will eventually overtake it by maybe mid summer.

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

What wii u doing ok in Japan how that?It's the place where it sold the less

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

It will take some time, but the PS4 will outsell the Wii U. It does have the games, that we know of, to give it a boost. More games like Dragon Quest can definitely help.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

I'm going bold and say ps4 and that good jrpgs are going to flourish.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Dr.Vita said:

1.) I doubt this after Dragon Quest Heroes. Square Enix should know now where this series belong to

3DS?

KBG29 said:
With a very good possability of Final Fantasy , Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter, and Persona 

The only ones confirmed are FInal Fantasy, Persona and Kingdom Hearts. Dragon Quest has just as good a chance of releasing on the Wii U as the PS4, both of which are slim chances considering the history of the series releasing on popular Japanese platforms. Persona 5 is a PS3/PS4 multiplat. There is nothing to indicate that Monster Hunter will come to the PS4. 

Japanese sales for the announced PS4 games predecessors:

FInal Fantasy XIII - 1.8 mil

Kingdom Hearts II -  1.38 mil (but last new console release was ten years ago.) The series has declined on handhelds.

Persona 4 -360k

Japanese sales for top 5 Wii U games in Japan:

New Super Mario Bros U. - 1.23 mil

Mario Kart 8 - 900k

Wii Party U - 810k

Super Mario 3d World - 630k

Super Smash Bros U - 590k

I think it is a bit early to pretend that those games will change the PS4's situation in Japan, as we've seen with the WIi U that this didn't happen with games of similar sales. Plus KHIII seems like it will be a late-gen release, and Persona 5 is a multiplat. Final Fantasy XV is the only game that should make a big difference, other than DQ:Heroes (which should also sell a decent amount.) 

Meanwhile the Wii U has plenty of future releases that should do well in Japan too. I'll bold a few. 

Future Wii U releases

Mario Party 10 (Mario Party 9 sold 750k in Japan, Mario Party 8 sold 1.58 mil.)

The Legend of Zelda ( 3D Zeldas sell about 700k in Japan.)

Animal Crossing U (City Folk sold 1.32 Mil in Japan)

SMT X Fire Emblem ( Radiant Dawn sold only 170k, but the Fire Emblem series just had a rejuvination in sales, the last game selling 520k in Japan.)

Xenoblade Chronicles X (Xenoblade Chronicles sold 170k in Japan, but it looks like the successor should sell more as it is getting a lot more of a media push.) 

Yoshi Wooly World ( Yoshi sells about 200k to 1 mil in Japan depending on the game.) 

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Kirby sells about 300k.) 

All of these games sell at least as well as Persona games do, so you can't disregard them. 

Also considering how they're not all RPG's, like the aforementioned PS4 lineup they will target more diverse audiences. 

sc94597 said:
KyleeStrutt said:
I really can't believe there are people who think PS4 won't outsell WiiU.

Why? Both average at about 20-22k weekly including launches and holiday sales, and here are the last six weeks of PS4 vs. Wii U sales that Vgchartz has. 

Wii U                  PS4

46,565                  31,966

36,585                 39,240

12,054                 18,055

9,405                  14,314

7,321                   12,526

6,817                  15,856

AVG               AVG

19,791          21,992

And the lifetime averages

PS4

1,052,863/49 = 21,487

Wii U

2,206,968/(104 +3 +4) = 19,882

The Wii U sold 1,579,424 by the end of 2013 (a month and a half before the PS4 released.) That would take 73 weeks for the PS4 to catch up, after a discontinued Wii U, if they both remain the same in Japan on average for their lifetimes (PS4 only gains 52k per year over Wii U with its current sales so subtract that from how many years you think they'll be on the market together to get the real number of weeks.) 

So the PS4 must sell at about 20k per week in Japan a year or so after the Wii U is discontinued entirely there. 

Overall their sales are comparable and the PS4 needs to catch up to Wii U for Wii U's head start. The only way it can do that is if it either lives much longer than Wii U in Japan, which is possible but not super likely, or it gets a game which will boost its sales dramatically (main series Dragon Quest.) 

Otherwise, anything goes. 

Let's not forget it has to outsell wii u consistently, something that won't happen due to wii u's releases, pricecuts, bundles and holidays.