By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 RPG Opinions and Feedback

Crabmaster2000 said:
I still dont really understand getting DLC like this though that should have been included with the game originally. Is it just so that they make you sign on to Xbox live and hope you buy something else aswell?

Sorry about the double post, say this and thought I'd answer you question. The DLC for Blue Dragon was  created because Japanese players complained that the game was too easy. That is why it wasn't in the original game code.

Around the Network

Thanks for clarifying the xbox live thing. Silver is a free membership and gold is a paying membership, correct? so the only things i cant do with a silver membership are play others online and get contect right away?

Darc Requiem said:
Crabmaster2000 said:
I still dont really understand getting DLC like this though that should have been included with the game originally. Is it just so that they make you sign on to Xbox live and hope you buy something else aswell?

Sorry about the double post, say this and thought I'd answer you question. The DLC for Blue Dragon was  created because Japanese players complained that the game was too easy. That is why it wasn't in the original game code.

I guess that makes sense. I still think it should have been in the original release though. DLC angers me.

Xbox live has two subscription plans Silver and Gold. Silver is the free plan you get regardless you have access to Xbox live regardless. Yes you can download demos, and download movies. Gold basically covers the online play. Anyway it shouldn't be a major concern for you since you get a free month of gold anyway no charge needed. So you are completely safe. You can download the demos for Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata out of the box.

I can speak only to Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. I haven't tried Eternal Sonata. These two games are actually like half brothers. They share half the same elements. In my opinion Lost Odyssey had the better stand alone elements. The game is far more mature, and far more cerebral. Blue Dragon is more juvenile, and less complicated. Lost Odyssey is longer in the linear, but Blue Dragon is longer in its expanse.

You can beat Lost Odyssey in around sixty hours. You can best it in somewhere near a hundred. Blue Dragon can be beat in around fifty hours and can take somewhere around two hundred hours to best as long as you do not cheat. With all 360 games come achievements which function as bragging rights and end game. Lost Odyssey is a decent fellow in that regard getting eighty percent completion is easy enough. Blue Dragon is like a half witted bastard based entirely on leveling your characters eight times. Further more of the too Lost Odyssey is very linear while Blue Dragon is more open.

They are both great games, and they share quite a lot in common. There experiences are at different ends of the spectrum. They were almost designed as polar opposites. I recommend you try Lost Odyssey first if the presentation is to your liking then consider Blue Dragon the softer, gentler, eccentric cousin. The demo unfortunately wasn't the best demo from what I understand, but both games are easily over an eight in a ten point scale.

You might want to let your wallet make the decision for you. While Lost Odyssey is new and thus full price. Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata have been out for quite some time. So you might be able to pick them both up for the price of a full game. Both appear to be retailing for around forty dollars so if you buy used you can probably get both for the price of a full game.

I buy a lot of newly released games used so i should be able to find them both for a fraction of their retail price. Thanks a lot for your views on both of those games. It sounds like both would be to my liking. Does anyone else suggest that I play LO first though? most other people seem to think otherwise I though.

Around the Network

I'm playing Lost Odyssey right now and it's GREAT! My favorite "next gen" RPG so far by far! I love it. 8.5/10

I absolutely hated Blue Dragon though. Way too childish--everything about it from characters, story, to difficulty (yes, I realize you can download a higher difficulty) Just not my type of game so if you disagree--good for you, don't bother flaming because I don't care. 5/10

Haven't played Eternal Sonata. I was just getting ready to buy it, but heard that there were going to be 2 more playable characters on the ps3 version so decided I'd just wait and buy it for my ps3.

Don't forget Fable II, Tales of Vesperia, & Infinite Undiscovery--many other promising RPG's coming out in the future.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Crabmaster2000 said:
Krusnik said:
@crabmaster2000

If at any point you're close to purchasing either one of these titles there should be a demo up on XBL Marketplace [except Lost Odyssey], just give them a try.

Do you need to purchase an Xbox live subscription to download demos? If so then im out. I really hate online gaming and try to stray from it as much as possible. If, however, it is free to grab a demo and all i have to do is connect to the internet im all for it.

nope all demo's and trials are free. All you have to do is set up an XBL account [and get one month free gold] no payment required.

DragonLord said:
I'm playing Lost Odyssey right now and it's GREAT! My favorite "next gen" RPG so far by far! I love it. 9/10

I absolutely hated Blue Dragon though. Way too childish--everything about it from characters, story, to difficulty (yes, I realize you can download a higher difficulty) Just not my type of game so if you disagree--good for you, don't bother flaming because I don't care. 5/10

Haven't played Eternal Sonata. I was just getting ready to buy it, but heard that there were going to be 2 more playable characters on the ps3 version so decided I'd just wait and buy it for my ps3.

Don't forget Fable II, Tales of Vesperia, & Infinite Undiscovery--many other promising RPG's coming out in the future.

I wouldn't flame you for you opinion of Blue Dragon when i asked you for your opinion of Blue Dragon. Thats another person talking up Lost Odyssey though. I guess thats the one to get in most peoples eyes it seems.

To download/access Blue Dragon content (to re-iterate), or any content:

You DO NOT NEED Gold, or any sort of pay-for account. The supposed $5/mo Gold is for online Multiplayer, and that alone (as well as demo perks, but you still get all the demos).

For Blue Dragon, you get the Hard and Insane difficulty levels for free. Shuffle Dungeon is $5 USD, as far as I know.

Lost Odyssey has a free expansion pack already out with an item, and I believe another entry into the 1000 year dream.

The JRPGs, for the X360 are as follows:

Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Culdcept Saga
Eternal Sonata
Enchanted Arms
Phantasy Star Universe

Operation: Darkness and Spectrial Force are unknowns for me....But I want to play O:D very badly.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the re-cap stickball. I think i've got it now. Actually one more question about live. Can you pay for extra content via credit card or do you need to puchase microsoft points from a store? thanks again guys its all great and valuable information for me.