By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - STEAM OS - What do you think?

if you look at the pc ports we had.. dont think many publishers and developers are gone spend money on a linux version of their game.. they are already barebones with the pc version... people are likely to have it as dual-boot cause of the 1000s of applications not running on linux.. so no need for a linux version if people also can boot in windows..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

I dont think it will be successfull, its too complicated for casuals, and pc owners wont upgrade to it to lose more than half of their steam library.

I think it will enter the same list that Shield and Ouya entered. Come on. They are trying to release a "console" and just gave already a 1 year headstart for MS and Sony. And it will probably be close to 2 when (and if) it releases.

I don't think the "core" Steam users will jump ship. The core Steam user is:
- A PC gamer: he is on Steam because he prefers to play on PC for one or several reasons. Offering him something like a console is probably what he doesn't wants.
- Someone who has a massive Steam library, where most of the games wouldn't run on Steam OS so it would be useless.

I wouldn't be surprised if Steam Machines became vaporware. The Steam controller however, looks interesting (if they fix some of its obvious design flaws).

No desktop OS will ever be a threat to Windows ever. The threat to Windows are smart phones, but even then barely.

Kerotan said:

I read a post from wyluzuj and it got me thinking.  How likely is a STEAM OS and how successful could it be. There are so many questions.  

Potential marketshare, 

Steammachines with SteamOS will be small. Linux users will just install Steam App. SteamOS is morelike a longterm play (10 years atleast). 

How big a threat to Microsoft, 
SteamOS is like an Android for consoles. It's not a real big threat for now. Nobody knows if it keeps on growing until it is too late. It' not really a big threat to Windows. Apple & Google are far bigger threats.

Would people buy into it apart from about 10 million hardcore steam users? 
I agree not many will. Steam Machines will be cheap 99 dollar in-home streaming devices and some people who don't want to build their own PC.

Do Microsoft even care?
Only their gaming division cares about it and that's their fundamental flaw. Boils down to shareholders etc. 

If they do how can they challenge them?  
Simple make Xbox Live available on Windows and Xbox One.

Would they charge for the OS? 
Yes, Microsoft will charge for the OS as long as they can.

How much if yes? 
99 dollar for consumers will drop until it's free could be 5 to 10 years.

Would Microsoft launch a rival steam on Windows?  
Yes, they will with kinect and hololens support.

I can think of many more.  Give me your general thoughts on this and we'll see what everyone thinks.  

Around the Network
Distant Star said:
Kerotan said:

I read a post from wyluzuj and it got me thinking.  How likely is a STEAM OS and how successful could it be. There are so many questions.  

Potential marketshare, 

Steammachines with SteamOS will be small. Linux users will just install Steam App. SteamOS is morelike a longterm play (10 years atleast). 

How big a threat to Microsoft, 
SteamOS is like an Android for consoles. It's not a real big threat for now. Nobody knows if it keeps on growing until it is too late. It' not really a big threat to Windows. Apple & Google are far bigger threats.

Would people buy into it apart from about 10 million hardcore steam users? 
I agree not many will. Steam Machines will be cheap 99 dollar in-home streaming devices and some people who don't want to build their own PC.

Do Microsoft even care?
Only their gaming division cares about it and that's their fundamental flaw. Boils down to shareholders etc. 

If they do how can they challenge them?  
Simple make Xbox Live available on Windows and Xbox One.

Would they charge for the OS? 
Yes, Microsoft will charge for the OS as long as they can.

How much if yes? 
99 dollar for consumers will drop until it's free could be 5 to 10 years.

Would Microsoft launch a rival steam on Windows?  
Yes, they will with kinect and hololens support.

I can think of many more.  Give me your general thoughts on this and we'll see what everyone thinks.  

Thanks for the reply.  You know more on this than me lil

Its Terrible and no one cares about it so it will just come and go

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Its Terrible and no one cares about it so it will just come and go

Why is it terrible? 

SteamOS is not necessary in any way and it has no reason to exist. I doubt it'll be very successful.

It's funny because Linux fans (the hardcore who don't touch windows/macs and hate them) think Steam OS will be the way of the future, that it will crush windows and Mac OS's and unify everyone under the OS because it's free and Linux based.

The extra funny part is it won't be happening because of all the reasons others have already listed, it;s just not going to take the gaming world by storm, it won't threaten MS and it won't overide windows, only those who use Linux and maybe the odd few will use it but they'll never outnumber windows in the slightest.

I doubt they would move the OS to consoles though, that would imply throwing Steam on XB1/PS4 which would also imply getting PC games to work on a console which isn't going to happen either, too much money would be required to meet such needs and I can't see Valve throwing away the PC gamers loyal to their service under a truck for two consoles.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"