By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BraLoD catching up with the classics: Final Fantasy 8

Tagged games:

I think I'm gonna have to join you eventually in catching up with the classics. I'm not old enough to have played all these games, so I feel like I've missed out on quite a lot.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
I think I'm gonna have to join you eventually in catching up with the classics. I'm not old enough to have played all these games, so I feel like I've missed out on quite a lot.

Go ahead you should enjoy , my one word of warning just like most old  classic games , some of what was praised is directly related to gaming at that point of time, and what left you holding your breathe then may seem passe now.
If you go ahead without expecting flawless gems you will find really good jrpg's , that are well worth playing not the least being for the experience of exploring new worlds.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Wright said:
TruckOSaurus said:

It's available on PSN should the PS1 prove to be unfixable.

Yeah...I'll play it with my invisible Ps3.

get a ps2 from ebay, cheap and it can play all ps and ps2 games.  and if its the fat ps, it gets to hot often, you can cut the plastic and it should run better.

Really don't know why people are praising the card game so much. It's just a logic puzzle and it's always the same. The cards are always the same, the strategy is always the same and it's played on a very small board. It's the Tic Tac Toe of card gaming.

That's why Square invented Tetra Master. A card game that's better in every way. Where it's actually fun hunting for new and better cards and all battles are different due to a lot of random factors. It's a lot more complex and the tactics and deck building are deeper.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

In retrospect, it's obvious FF VIII has oodles of flaws, but I have a confession: I like it, anyways.

The thing which really irritates me is that in good Square fashion, the problems could have been easily fixed. Give players a junction artifact which limits the number and number of types of spells they can hold, and you've gotten rid of 60% of the grindy there.

The other 40% could have been fixed by making card refining go both ways and Triple Triad a mandatory MAGIC TRADING system. Refine spells you aren't using into a card, and then trade that card for for something you do want. This would keep your magic menu clean during combat and add a lot of NPC flavor with who wants what and who has what.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
vivster said:

Really don't know why people are praising the card game so much. It's just a logic puzzle and it's always the same. The cards are always the same, the strategy is always the same and it's played on a very small board. It's the Tic Tac Toe of card gaming.

That's why Square invented Tetra Master. A card game that's better in every way. Where it's actually fun hunting for new and better cards and all battles are different due to a lot of random factors. It's a lot more complex and the tactics and deck building are deeper.

Well, it's a simple game, has it charm to be honest.
But it's nothing close to the card game Digimon World 3 had. That was an awesome card game! Digimon World 3 is so much fun

Doesn't look as much fun as Tetra Master though. But before long you will agree with me and be playing more Tetra Master than the actual game. It's pretty much as addictive as Blitzball.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

BraLoD said:

Tetra Master is from which game, FF9?

The very one.

BraLoD said:
vivster said:
BraLoD said:

Tetra Master is from which game, FF9?

The very one.

Nailed it!

Well, I'll be looking foward to it.

Don't listen to this person, he thinks BLITZBALL IS GOOD, Jesus Christ.

Never bothered with Tetra Master to be honest. And only played Triple Triad because that gives some insane rewards.

artur-fernand said:
BraLoD said:

Nailed it!

Well, I'll be looking foward to it.

Don't listen to this person, he thinks BLITZBALL IS GOOD, Jesus Christ.

Never bothered with Tetra Master to be honest. And only played Triple Triad because that gives some insane rewards.

I never said Blitzball is good :P

BraLoD said:
Mythmaker1 said:
This game bothers me. It's probably the closest I've ever come to "hating" a game.

The core gameplay is a complete waste of time. Worse, it was DESIGNED to be a waste of time. The more you understand the mechanics, the more you realize that you benefit more by not playing the game at all. And when you finally realize it, the game just becomes one, long slog, because there is so little else to do besides Triple Triad, which is itself basically a microcosm of everything wrong with the gameplay.

Beyond that, I just found the story lazy. There was good with the bad, but there was far more of the latter, and everything between was just tedious.

That, and the fact the game might as well come with a sign saying "there is stuff you're never, ever going to find without a strategy guide," made me truly feel that the game was created to annoy me personally. It was everything I don't like in games, and I'd rather sooner replay FF13...which is really saying something.

Well, I don't know why to hate it, but some of the choices there were really strange.

I can't muster the energy to hate it. I'm just think it sucks, and it bothers me to see something so polished turn out so bad. Like FF13, or Skyward Sword, or Diablo 3.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.