By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BraLoD catching up with the classics: Final Fantasy 8

Tagged games:

By the way, are you using some sort of guide for the game or something? I ask this because a few GFs are acquired in such random ways, I don't think you could possibly find them yourself. I'm mostly talking about Doomtrain, that's so bullshit.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
CladInShadows said:

I have a soft spot for 4, 6, and 7. But 9 and 12 are up there too. And I can't forget the first game. It was the first NES game I owned, so it's steeped with nostalgia, despite it being a bit crude compared to FF4 and onward.

What about 5? People seems to not talk that much about it, maybe because only 4 and 6 came to USA back in the dayy and most people just didn't grew up with it as the others.

I like 5.  It would be in 7th place behind the games I mentioned above. But yeah, it was never released in Canada until 1999, so I didn't get to play it when I should have. I did play the translated SNES ROM some time after finishing FF7. I felt that it didn't have a compelling main cast of characters like 4, 6, and 7, or even a really cool villain like in FF6 or FF7.   It also felt a little "cheaper" than FF4. Just certain things like no character portrait, etc.  Still a great game, though. And a cool setting. I'd still rank it so much higher than FF8, FF10, or FF13.

Naum said:

If you ever get the chance you should play this game.
           <-------------
Got one of the most epic stories ever told.

I still haven't played that one either. I didn't ever own a PS1, so I kind of missed a good chunk of those games. I played FF7 and FF8 on PC, and bought FF9 for use on an emulator on the PC.

I have since grabbed some classic PS1 RPGs from recent PSN sales, though: Xenogears, Legend of Dragon, Wild Arms 1,2...  So I think I'll fire up Xenogears some time soon.

I love this game so much. I'm actually itching to play it again. Maybe I'll get to fix my uncle's PS1, then I can also try FF IX which I've never played before as well!

Wright said:

I love this game so much. I'm actually itching to play it again. Maybe I'll get to fix my uncle's PS1, then I can also try FF IX which I've never played before as well!

It's available on PSN should the PS1 prove to be unfixable.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Wright said:

Yeah...I'll play it with my invisible Ps3.

Wright said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Yeah...I'll play it with my invisible Ps3.

Or do what I do and get an emulator on your phone. Just started playing it and works like a charm :)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:

Get it on steam...

We've already talked about this. FF VIII has DRM on top of Steam's DRM, and no way I'm supporting that!

Ka-pi96 said:

eh, you only notice it the first time you load the game up.

Enough for me not to care about it!

This game bothers me. It's probably the closest I've ever come to "hating" a game.

The core gameplay is a complete waste of time. Worse, it was DESIGNED to be a waste of time. The more you understand the mechanics, the more you realize that you benefit more by not playing the game at all. And when you finally realize it, the game just becomes one, long slog, because there is so little else to do besides Triple Triad, which is itself basically a microcosm of everything wrong with the gameplay.

Beyond that, I just found the story lazy. There was good with the bad, but there was far more of the latter, and everything between was just tedious.

That, and the fact the game might as well come with a sign saying "there is stuff you're never, ever going to find without a strategy guide," made me truly feel that the game was created to annoy me personally. It was everything I don't like in games, and I'd rather sooner replay FF13...which is really saying something.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.