By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BraLoD catching up with the classics: Final Fantasy 8

Tagged games:

These are some of my favorite threads and should replace 90% of the reviews that pollute the internet.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
holmen said:
All the love for FF IX in this thread surprises me greatly.
Up till now my impression is that most ppl tend to more or less dismiss IX.
...and all the love for IX is nice to see since it's one of my personal favourites in the FF series.

As for VIII it will be interesting to read about the rest of the BraLoD journey.

Really? In my experience I've seem 9 being all praise, the only comparable with FF7 love.

Maybe it's a vgchartz thing, where all the nice folks are hanging, who knows?

I am not complaining, but my experience so far has been that a few say nice things about IX but most attention and love are given to VI, VII and sometimes X.

walsufnir said:
holmen said:
All the love for FF IX in this thread surprises me greatly.
Up till now my impression is that most ppl tend to more or less dismiss IX.
...and all the love for IX is nice to see since it's one of my personal favourites in the FF series.

As for VIII it will be interesting to read about the rest of the BraLoD journey.

What? IX did a lot of things right, wonderful world with lovable characters, breath taking fmvs...

Not that western art style that I am not able to like in any way.

I'm not arguing :) I really like IX

holmen said:

I'm not arguing :) I really like IX

It always seemed to be that less people generally played IX however of those, they mostly liked it. Great Story, great characters, Vivi.  While 7 and 8 have mixed opinions but more people played them.

Hmm, pie.

BraLoD said:
Vincoletto said:
Its a good game and it's main advantage over FFVII is the graphics, they are REALLY better. As for story, battle system, music, etc, it is very inferior, one of the worst in FF history. Don't understand people that say it is better than VII and IX.

Good to know you are going for the classics, they are so much better than new FF games

By new FF games you,mean the 13 trilogy? Because 7 didn't topped 12 IMO.

Yep, the 13 trilogy. X and X-2 are really good games and XII I havent played yet. Shame on me. I'm still waiting for an HD remake like X but it seems it won't happen. Worst part is that I believe I will just love XII since Vagrant Story and FFT are some of my all time favorites and I know a good portion of the team involve don those were also invoved in FFXII. 

Around the Network

You just finished disc 1? Soon the story is gonna get... weird. I'm really curious about your opinion on the story, characters and ESPECIALLY the villains.

As for the gameplay, are you prioritizing Refine abilities like I (among others) suggested? =P

BraLoD said:
Vincoletto said:

Yep, the 13 trilogy. X and X-2 are really good games and XII I havent played yet. Shame on me. I'm still waiting for an HD remake like X but it seems it won't happen. Worst part is that I believe I will just love XII since Vagrant Story and FFT are some of my all time favorites and I know a good portion of the team involve don those were also invoved in FFXII. 

Are you watching the news about 15? 12 is very close to that. It's so much fun!

Yes and I'm very excited for XV. Hard to explain in english (Im brazilian) but it seems in past FF they were too much trying to create something to appraise western audiences. When I see the trailers and screens of XV it seems to me they said "screw this, lets go back to roots and be japanese again"

I have very high hopes for XV and at this point I would buy it on day one. XIII on the other hand since the beggining seemd to be a bad move for me. Which would prove true later.

BraLoD said:
CladInShadows said:

That's what I'm hoping for, actually. And I know I just shat on FF8 for trying way too hard to be different, but while FF12 was the most different game in the series, everything just felt right. I hope that carries over to 15.

12 is still my favorite. But people say 9 is the best, lets see xD

I have a soft spot for 4, 6, and 7. But 9 and 12 are up there too. And I can't forget the first game. It was the first NES game I owned, so it's steeped with nostalgia, despite it being a bit crude compared to FF4 and onward.

Ka-pi96 said:
artur-fernand said:
You just finished disc 1? Soon the story is gonna get... weird. I'm really curious about your opinion on the story, characters and ESPECIALLY the villains.

As for the gameplay, are you prioritizing Refine abilities like I (among others) suggested? =P

Well it wouldn't really be a Final Fantasy game if the story didn't get weird

Nah, FFVIII is a whole other level =P

Feels like they relaxed a litte by getting high after finishing write a part of the game.

If you ever get the chance you should play this game.
           <-------------
Got one of the most epic stories ever told.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints