By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 is still a better all round console than PS4

Conina said:
DraconianAC said:

Sony is known for dropping support on their tech because they want you to buy their next hardware update, no firmware updates, and no listening to their early adopters because they dish out version 2 in one or two years after their initial release.

If you are trying to prove me wrong, all you needed to include was Sony's firmware updates on the on playstation branded tech. If you are trying to compare it to the competition, and show me that they are better, why not include the other consoles that it is in competition with the playstation brand not just the Dsi and the Dsi XL. and while your at it, show me what great improvements that were added other than "security updates"  which in my eyes means the bare minimum, no new real likelable features that people want from the system, but some new patch that mandates a custom fimware update aswell.

I think my point was missed. I'm sure I stated in my first paragraph that Sony isn't as blatent in dropping system support in the playstation brand, but that they are lazy and need to be pushed to do better in the software side to give their customers what they need/want. If you still feel like I'm being unjust to Sony, I can put up a list of specifics, it maybe that you just don't know about the bad side of Sony in other Market segments and how that corrolates and is still evident in the playstation brand.

Around the Network

because Sony still want people to own both PS3 and PS4 ok...

they are not letting PS4 to fully replacing PS3 yet for the time being...

Well, yeah.

I'd give the PS4 until the year ends and if it still disappoints, then that's when we should really start to worry.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

DraconianAC said:

If you are trying to prove me wrong, all you needed to include was Sony's firmware updates on the on playstation branded tech. If you are trying to compare it to the competition, and show me that they are better, why not include the other consoles that it is in competition with the playstation brand not just the Dsi and the Dsi XL. and while your at it, show me what great improvements that were added other than "security updates"  which in my eyes means the bare minimum, no new real likelable features that people want from the system, but some new patch that mandates a custom fimware update aswell.

I think my point was missed. I'm sure I stated in my first paragraph that Sony isn't as blatent in dropping system support in the playstation brand, but that they are lazy and need to be pushed to do better in the software side to give their customers what they need/want. If you still feel like I'm being unjust to Sony, I can put up a list of specifics, it maybe that you just don't know about the bad side of Sony in other Market segments and how that corrolates and is still evident in the playstation brand.

You clearly wrote "no firmware updates"... both PS3 (one year after the PS4 launch) and PSP (3 years after the Vita launch) had firmware updates in the last quarter... so had the Xbox360 (1 year after the XBO launch).

DSi + DSi XL were at least supported until 2012, but DS + DS lite never got any update. The last Wii update was in 2010 ... 2 years BEFORE the WiiU launch.

The Xperia devices of the last years (since they parted from Ericsson) are the best supported Android devices after Googles Nexus devices.

Have to agree with OP on just about every point.  Don't get me wrong, the PS4 is a great system with TONS of potential, unfortunately Sony just hasn't capitalized on that potential yet. As such, the PS3 still has the better and more mature feature set. C'mon Sony, get with it!  DNLA, 3D, improved UI sorting, etc.

Around the Network
Wiped said:

I don't really understand why Sony has still, more than a year after release, gimped the PS4 in so many ways.

i recently booted up my PS3 after a long absence, on my new 55" tv.

Then it hit me: PS3 is just better atm. My custom image backround looked amazing (A Wipeout HD photo mode pic), the image quality is much better on Blurays and Netflix, and all my music files, photos and videos are all on the XMB and shareable via DLNA. Games, too, are tucked into one folder in a list instead of dominating everything.

And PS3 3D: wow. Super crisp, stable, really adds a lot of depth, and so many great games like GT, Killzone and Uncharted support it. Granted my tv is excellent for 3D (Samsung ue55hu8000) but it's like a giant New 3DSXL. I miss this feature on PS4 games.

bascially PS4 has slightly better graphics and loading, and share functions, and a better controller. Everything else is worse :(

Can't say anything about Netflix, but the image quality of Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, YouTube and Amazon Instant Video look the same to me on PS3 and PS4. The PS4-apps (YouTube and Amazon Instant Video) start a lot faster, have better user interfaces seems to buffer much more of the video streams (bigger and faster RAM). And of course the PS4 is much quieter while playing videos than the PS3 with its noisy fan.

Scrolling through the game folder on PS4 is much more convenient than on PS3 IMHO: 9 games (3x3 tiles) at the same time are shown on the screen... I hope they add 4x4 or 5x5 tiles in the future with smaller icons. Additionally you have the caroussell with your last played games / used apps.

Scrolling through my PS3 game list takes forever, even with the subfolders. And adding new games to already existing subfolders could have been designed much more convenient.

I'm a huge fan of stereoscopic 3D (Blu-ray 3D, Nvidia 3D Vision, 3DS XL, PS3 and PS4) and I wish more PS4-games would offer that option... but the trade-offs in most PS3-games for stereoscopic 3D are huge: 480p-resolution, slowdowns and/or ridiculously short draw distance.

Cobretti2 said:
Sorry but I agree with OP.

If an old system had these feature logic would dictate that the next gen one would have them at launch too as the baseline.

Saying oh they will ad it later is an excuse for rushing out the hardware.The PS4 should have been as capable as the PS3 then by the end of the gen far more rich in functionality.

From a personal perspective I don't care as I have always used my consoles for gaming only, however I understand the frustration from people who enjoy those features.

Yes when you buy other tech (phones, laptops, tablets, cars) you expect the new gadgets to have all the old stuff PLUS some new.

It's a 1 year old console for God's sake. PS3 sucked back in 2007/8.

Though I do agree that some of the things should've been there from the beginning. I think we can all agree that all the next gen consoles were rushed in a way...

As a Sony hater (who somehow has purchased and loved every Sony console.) it warms my heart to see people bash one to say the other is better. It means my beloved Wii U and Xbox consoles are safe. Carry on!

Oh, and the OP is correct. For now, PS3 is better than PS4 in most ways. I'm being patient, though.