By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 Review Thread - Meta: 66

0815user said:
The_Sony_Girl1 said:
0815user said:
The_Sony_Girl1 said:
Ow! All I really wanted to get a good third person shooter.....

so, what's hindering you giving this one a try? never liked a game that got mixed reviews?

There's barely any shooting parts from what I've heard.

on hard about one fourth of the games total playtime is shooting i'd say.

But is it good shooting parts?

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Around the Network
The_Sony_Girl1 said:
0815user said:

on hard about one fourth of the games total playtime is shooting i'd say.

But is it good shooting parts?

Shooting parts seem fine to me so far. Play it on hard and don't run and gun. You will die a lot if you do.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Samus Aran said:
So you guys think it's ok to have a qte as a final boss?

As long as the overall ride was enjoyable, why not?

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
Samus Aran said:
So you guys think it's ok to have a qte as a final boss?

As long as the overall ride was enjoyable, why not?

The final boss is a copy of an earlier qte boss fight. I doubt the overall ride was anything to write home about.

Euphoria14 said:
Been playing the game for the last 2 nights and only put maybe 2 hours in each time.

Not a ton of gunplay, but what I have experienced is fun. Playing on Hard difficulty as well.

I will say though, I am in chapter 5 I think, just reached the blimp, and I love sequences like the one where I was being attacked by the Lycan and I basically shot away at it and watched a minute or so of cutscene before moving back to another shooting sequence.

I like stuff like this.

Is this game perfect? No way, but so far I am having a very enjoyable time. This is likely due to me not always just expecting games to be a certain way. If they were always the same then things would get really boring. I like to try something different, plus I am a movie junkie too, so this game, to me, is great enjoyment.

Just don't go into it expecting a Gears of War or a Uncharted or even The Last of Us. You will be left disappointed. Instead go into the experience expecting it to be exactly what it was intended to be, which is a full on cinematic adventure with less than normal player input.

Didn't you get the memo? It's supposed to be a poor gears of war clone therefore it must be judged as such. It's not allowed to be its own thing and you are not allowed to enjoy it unless you enjoy substandard gears of war knock offs. I never knew gears had QTEs. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

No it is really neithers fault. Reviewers are going to review games based on what they think their readers want from games. Most core gamers want certain things 1886 does not have so reviewers punished the game.

RAD did not make a mistake by making a game reviewers dont like. I loved it, many others will to. This type of game is what Playstation has always been about. Not just catering to a few popular genres but build diverse library of games that has something for everyone.

Bingo. There's nothing "broken" about criticising a game for doing things most gamers won't like.

As to this kind of game being what Playstation is all about, that's honestly why I've lost interest in Playstation. They're too focussed on being cinematic.

the most recent exclusives released by sony with the exception of the order have been little big planet 3, infamous first light, infamous second son and driveclub 

so a platformer, open world game and driving game

this thing about oh sony only does cinemtic games has no factual basis to it at all, if it was true i personally wouldn't have a playsation

the reality is that sony releases games in varied genres constantly

tokilamockingbrd said:
curl-6 said:

Bingo. There's nothing "broken" about criticising a game for doing things most gamers won't like.

As to this kind of game being what Playstation is all about, that's honestly why I've lost interest in Playstation. They're too focussed on being cinematic.

thats because everyone else is making the other Genres.... I mean they have made FPS games but there are multiple 3rd party FPS games that are just better. No 3rd party is making these types of games, at least at the AAA level(Tomb Raider might be the only other one, which is why MS bought that). I do wish they would make some platformers again. I think 3D platformers are primed for a comeback. And Nintendo has left the door open for someone to grab that audience by not releasing a true 3d mario platformer.

I wish they'd make another ape escape, it's one of my favorite franchises. However I don't see that happening, their focus isn't on that demographic at all. I kind of agree with curl, sony are definitely trying to be more cinematic these days. But hey if thats what the masses are buying then that's what they'll make.

binary solo said:
Euphoria14 said:
Been playing the game for the last 2 nights and only put maybe 2 hours in each time.

Not a ton of gunplay, but what I have experienced is fun. Playing on Hard difficulty as well.

I will say though, I am in chapter 5 I think, just reached the blimp, and I love sequences like the one where I was being attacked by the Lycan and I basically shot away at it and watched a minute or so of cutscene before moving back to another shooting sequence.

I like stuff like this.

Is this game perfect? No way, but so far I am having a very enjoyable time. This is likely due to me not always just expecting games to be a certain way. If they were always the same then things would get really boring. I like to try something different, plus I am a movie junkie too, so this game, to me, is great enjoyment.

Just don't go into it expecting a Gears of War or a Uncharted or even The Last of Us. You will be left disappointed. Instead go into the experience expecting it to be exactly what it was intended to be, which is a full on cinematic adventure with less than normal player input.

Didn't you get the memo? It's supposed to be a poor gears of war clone therefore it must be judged as such. It's not allowed to be its own thing and you are not allowed to enjoy it unless you enjoy substandard gears of war knock offs. I never knew gears had QTEs. 

I will enjoy things even if everyone else tries their hardest to convince me otherwise.

Currently playing:

It's interesting, most reviews here(netherlands) seem to have scored the game between 7.5 and 8. And that's what i would give it so far aswell.

The game is not as much fun as say GTA V but it has managed to keep me entertained and interested non-stop. The opposite of for example AC:Unity and Alien isolation, wich i will never finish.

Got platinum last night. I'll give it 7 for ch1-11, 5 for ch12 and after. Since ch12-16 has only ~20% of the whole game, final score should be be 7*0.8 + 5*0.2 = 6.6. Thats pretty accurate score from metacritic(currently 65) IMO.