By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 Review Thread - Meta: 66

Kerotan said:
Jazz2K said:

Ok I played TO at a friend's place yesterday. We didn't finished the game by lack of time (it was getting late) but we played a good 5 hours.

I can say I understand the reviews and mostly agree with the scores. I love the graphics and the settings. The setting was the reason I was drawned to this game but gameplay has to be top notch for me to enjoy a game and that's where this is getting ugly.

It's not that it's flawed, I think it's because of their gameplay philosophy. Almost anything you do in this game is an event trigger. Jumping, evading, melee fighting. This is annoying imo because you can't execute these unless it is scripted. Also you watch cinematics way more than anything else. When you get control of your character it's not necessarily because you'll be fighting. Sometimes you just walk in closed areas then you get to climb here and there then more cinematics. When you finaly encounter enemies to fight it lasts for about 6-10 minutes in another closed area then you are invited to again more cinematics. Killing enemies provides no satisfaction at all as they are pretty much dumb. The way they spawn and just pop their heads up and down feels like playing a Time Crisis type of game mixed with a tower defense game.

I didn't mind the QTEs that much other than when we face the Licans but the story was entertaining. I think RAD should've spent more time making gameplay mechanics and opening fighting areas. A multiplayer mode and larger scale battles would've help a lot imo.

I know some people will tell me not every games has to be the same and that's true but ehh reviews are a matter of opinion and since games are leaning

They are a psp developer so I think they did well enough for their first game On ps4.  Hopefully they get to do a sequel 

This is exactly what I discussed with my friend. RAD aren't bad devs at all. In fact I think they are off to a great start. I may not like TO but I recognize all the work they've done. I would hire gameplay programmers en mass though.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

That wouldn't be AC.   Better graphics in a much smaller world makes an open world game better?

They could make those games more darker to fit the tone of the games. 

Burek said:
0815user said:

so, what's hindering you giving this one a try? never liked a game that got mixed reviews?

The problem with The Order is that it's a point-and-click adventure with shooting parts.

Well that's only a problem if you don't like point and click adventure games.

OT The Order now has 62 reviews and the median score is still 70 while the metascore is 65. The metascore is persistently lowballing the score compared to the majority of reviewer's opinions. the review count currently stands at 34 reviews are 70+ and 28 reviews are <70. In other words 55% of reviewrs gave the game a good score (70+). To shift the median to 65 the review count needs to get to 70 without a single one of those 8 reviews giving the game a score above 65.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I had preordered the game, and I must say that the critics and negativity in many of the reviews made me worry. Now I have finished the game, took me about 12 hours to do, and my opinion is that this is one of the most immersive story games I have ever played. I played it through in 2 sessions, and it was really difficult to stop once you get going. For me, this is a soulmate to Unchartered's and TLOU, which I also liked very much. The only thing I did not like so much was the cameramoves which probably were ment to crete filmlike atmoshpere, but for me it was too exaggerated effect, but I got used to it in a chapter or two. The graphichs is at times unbelivable, I was most impressed with the textures in clothes. Audio is also very well made, and technically I have no complaints whatsoever. 

I can see why people who were expecting an open world game would be disappointed, but I think in general the media has been way too cruel to this game a its developers. At least I want to see game developers to make different types of games for us to play, not everything has to be GTA or Destiny grinding (although I am a big fan of Destiny too).

Samus Aran said:
kowenicki said:

To build an atmosphere you need a scripted scene, mood music and a known outcome.

If you are trying to build atmosphere and I suddenly run down a different road into a field, then start to climb a buidling for no particular reason then the atmosphere is instantly killed.

If you are saying you want a hybrid game of open world and scome scripted on-rails elements then fine, but thats a different genre.

You clearly never played the Prime games lol.

the Prime games were amazing. Yes they had a great atmosphere. The graphics were some of the best seen in its generation and the music and environmental sounds. That said, MP had very little story and what it did have was glean by reading stuff around the world. I wish someone would make a game like MP this Gen, but sadly the critics would blast it for lack of story and voice acting (even through if it had those things it would have broken up the immersion).

If AC wanted to make a game like this it would need to be a spin off. It would be very beneficial to the series as it would provide better context for the mainlain AC games.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network
tokilamockingbrd said:
Samus Aran said:

You clearly never played the Prime games lol.

the Prime games were amazing. Yes they had a great atmosphere. The graphics were some of the best seen in its generation and the music and environmental sounds. That said, MP had very little story and what it did have was glean by reading stuff around the world. I wish someone would make a game like MP this Gen, but sadly the critics would blast it for lack of story and voice acting (even through if it had those things it would have broken up the immersion).

If AC wanted to make a game like this it would need to be a spin off. It would be very beneficial to the series as it would provide better context for the mainlain AC games.

MP2 has plenty of story. It's just not forced into your troat.

Now that I think of it, makes me wonder how MGS 4 got a free pass. I mean, it has awesome gameplay but it was no more than 8 hours I believed and it was interrupted by long lasting cutscene, which one of them lasted about 30 minutes if I'm not mistaken.

Angelv577 said:
Now that I think of it, makes me wonder how MGS 4 got a free pass. I mean, it has awesome gameplay but it was no more than 8 hours I believed and it was interrupted by long lasting cutscene, which one of them lasted about 30 minutes if I'm not mistaken.

being an IP that is well respected. The Order is a new IP. People dont like new things. GIMME COD 12 PLZ!

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:
Angelv577 said:

being an IP that is well respected. The Order is a new IP. People dont like new things. GIMME COD 12 PLZ!

yeah, that must be it lol

So you guys think it's ok to have a qte as a final boss?