By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 Review Thread - Meta: 66

Game_God said:
HintHRO said:
Exactly what real gamers were expecting. You could see from the very start this would be another boring TPS with a QTE fetish. But most gamers somehow automatically correlate beautiful graphics to a great experience: it does not.

That is why so many defended it & still do!

This game shows exactly the pit the gaming industry is falling in: Shiny-shiny but crappy-crappy.

It's been a while that eyecandy has been the main break or make factor for videogames.

Gamers jump in mass into the hype pool, blinded by the visual eyecandy so devs abuse & cultivate this easy way of marketing/hyping games that rely heavily on graphic technical aspects (good technicians) rather than creative gameplay mechanics (good game designers), with propaganda focusing on the wrapping hiding the substance under the rug.

How gamers conditioned to react to eyecandy will now hype themselves if they can't rely on the graphic factor? That's why so many are defending it despite the evidence. The consensual metric is being proved flawed!

This time it seems the wine despite a good looking bottle, was more vinegar than a good vintage!

Will lessons be learned?

Gameplay > graphics! Always!!!

Never heard anything funnier. Easier to make great graphics than gameplay? This must be why production cost and team size of a AAA eye candy is a lot less than a small and "ugly" but solid gameplay right?

And is good to know you hold the absolute truth about what is importante in gaming and how we only jumped gens to improve world size and gameplay possibilities with graphics being marginal. Technical/graphical improvements areseveral fold bigger than gameplay/inputs on basically any gen transition. But why won't you recode pong to make its gameplay 8th gen like using all power for ai, map size, etc but leave the graphics equal. That should make a helluva game since original pong is still great even after decades.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

This is pretty much what I expected. I don't know what the hell that 9.5/10 guy was playing.

kowenicki said:
DonFerrari said:
kowenicki said:

well its 3rd party and MS havent been banging on about 1080p 60fps at exec level on a regualr basis (for obvious reasons)

Nope, they are more on the 720p=1080p Train.

Brilliant.   They arent on any train.

You make my point perfectly...  still it comes.  After this... still it comes.

It seems to me that developers are responding to the fan base and those execs, giving them what they want...

Could be, although MS also hyped graphics a lot.

I don't mind this focus for some games as I still get others To complement.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Danman27 said:
DakonBlackblade said:

The Order is Sonys Ryse. Im sure Ill like the game a lot but it was always going to have terribad reviews since its not open world and is short, it starts from like 7 instead of 10 because of that.

Not every game needs to be open world. But some of the crap in this game makes it deserve a low score. 

The crap in this game is the crap in every storydriven game. And if the game had exactly the same crap but was open world itd be sitting on the mid 7s on metacritics.

reggin_bolas said:
0815user said:

and that "knowlegde" is based on which factors?

Based on the meta review of the game? 

ok, let's assume something like: "creating controversy to cause reactions" (which we're actually contributing to through this conversation right now) doesn't exist in today's media, since when is 66 out of 100 considered bad?

Around the Network

50 Reviews - 65 Metascore.

Well, I think 70+ is not possible anymore.

If anyone remembers, I said I would get a PS4 if The Order was well received. Well I guess I'll have to wait. :(

So much replies!

Too much dissapointemnt or surprise or happyness. No, all 3 :D

0815user said:
reggin_bolas said:

Based on the meta review of the game? 

ok, let's assume something like: "creating controversy to cause reactions" (which we're actually contributing to through this conversation right now) doesn't exist in today's media, since when is 66 out of 100 considered bad?

Huh, so... You think most games that have a meta average of 66 are good games?

0815user said:

In school, a 66 is a D-. One point away from failing.