By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until PS3 Totally outsells 360?

Salamursu said:
Legend11 said:

Lets try a Western based franchise that doesn't typically do well in Japan... GTAIV may do decent in Japan, but It's doubtful it would be enough to make a huge impact in the total numbers...

Call of Duty 4

360: 5,043,312
PS3: 2,551,430

That gap in sales of 2.5 million is just a little bit more impressive than the 40 thousand for DMC4.

Guitar Hero 3

360: 2,429,475
PS3: 921,048

Wow.. Another game where the 360 version significantly more than the PS3 version... 1.6 million more...

Madden 08

360: 2.15 million
PS3: 0.77 million

Hmm.. Amazing attachment rate for PS3 too bad the 360 version still outsold it by 1.38 miilion...

Now take your time in figuring out which system is able to produce more multi-million sellers or have games that sell above 3 million... The Xbox 360 has had 5... The PS3 has.. let me total this up... 0. And to top it off 2 of the PS3's top 3 sellers were pack-in games for a significant amount of time.

GTAIV will likely have at least 4-5 million in sales if not more on the 360 and it's hard to believe that the PS3 will suddenly become a software beast and sell 8-10 million copies of the game anytime soon. Add in the fact that the 360 version is getting exclusive episodes which will keep it on people's minds at the end of this year and next year as well...

Madden 08 is of no interest to anybody outside the US, so it logically follows the ratio between the hardware sold in the US. CoD4, like most other FPS are preferred to be played on the PC here in Europe, so again no surprise there.

How about looking at the sales (by 29th February) for Burnout Paradise, selling

360 466,836
PS3 427,292

or Need For Speed: Pro Street

360 1,132,628
PS3 1,050,887

As for the DMC4 sales, after sales declined in Japan, the game has actually been selling almost equal numbers for PS3 and 360 for several weeks. So I'd say that for a game that is released on both consoles and appeals equally to players of both consoles in all regions (outside of Japan) we might see somewhat similar sales for both versions of GTAIV, even if the install base of 360 is bigger.

Why do people always post the under 2 million selling titles when they're making these kinds of comparisons?  Is it that some people think GTAIV is going to sell a million or so total on each console?

Assassin's Creed

360: 3.49 million
PS3: 2.33 million

That's a bit more of a difference than the two games you mentioned.  Show me just 1 game where the PS3 version outsold the 360 version by a million.

Around the Network
saprano1 said:
what shock's me the most is that people seem to be ok with the idea that microsoft will have another console ready buy 2010. how is that ok?......that would mean who ever buy's it now is only gonna get 2 and half years out if it. at least with ps3,who ever gets it now, there gauranteed another 6 years out of it, or when sony decide's to stop production.

What shocks me is that you're so willing to state something as fact without actually having anything to back it up.

Legend11 said:
saprano1 said:
what shock's me the most is that people seem to be ok with the idea that microsoft will have another console ready buy 2010. how is that ok?......that would mean who ever buy's it now is only gonna get 2 and half years out if it. at least with ps3,who ever gets it now, there gauranteed another 6 years out of it, or when sony decide's to stop production.

What shocks me is that you're so willing to state something as fact without actually having anything to back it up.

Software figures for PS3 are under tracked on here I am certain PS3 has sold more.
I know for certain that the XBox 360 and Nintendo Wii hardware is over tracked, where as the PS3 hardware is under tracked.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Soccer games only sell well in Europe/Other region. I do not think USA even play soccer, so hardly any of them would buy soccer games.
Soccer = European region. American Football = NA Region.
PS3 multiplatform versions will outsell XBox 360 versions ww from now on. Why get a lousy version with achievements get the better looking PS3 version.

Agreed, but soccer games are popular in Japan as well and the rest of the world. Soccer is huge in South America and soccer games peform relatively better in North America (I guess also due to many immigrants from Europe and other parts of he world) than Madden games do in Europe/Japan/rest of the World.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Legend11 said:

Why do people always post the under 2 million selling titles when they're making these kinds of comparisons?  Is it that some people think GTAIV is going to sell a million or so total on each console?

Assassin's Creed

360: 3.49 million
PS3: 2.33 million

That's a bit more of a difference than the two games you mentioned.  Show me just 1 game where the PS3 version outsold the 360 version by a million.

Even with sales under 2 million I think the sales trends can be seen on those games much clearer than on games that  a) mostly / only appeal to US gamers - such as basketball, baseball, and football games b) are FPS-style games also available on the PC. GTAIV falls into neither category.

Assassin's Creed is arguably a good example of a game akin to GTAIV in terms of user appeal, but I think the difference between the two versions of GTAIV will be conciderably smaller. I base this assesment on the expectation of the game actually boosting the PS3 sales in Europe, and to some degree in the US, too. While the market for the 360 in the US is definately not satured yet, I think that there is not that much room for rapid growth for 360 sales at the time of this release, even with a price cut. On the other hand I think that more and more people are/will be interested in PS3 and the release of GTAIV will be another reason to make the purchase decision earlier.

It is likely that initially (the first month) the sales of GTAIV are bigger for the 360, but towards the rest of the year, the difference will become more narrow. By christmas, the difference might be somewhere between 0% to 10%.

Paid by the alliance
to slay all the giants.

Around the Network

I guess if anyone remembers this thread at the end of the year we should look at the numbers and see if they're within 0 to 10%...

And I took the bigger selling games like Call of Duty 4 and Assassin's Creed in my comparisons because I think the games that sell 5 or 6 million or whatever between platforms are the ones that would be far more likely to be similar to GTAIV than the games that sell under a million or barely over it.

Rock_on_2008 said:
In 2008 PS3 have 5 AAA exclusives (MGS 4, GT5P, Little Big Planet, Kill Zone 2 and Resistance 2) that will sell consoles plus GTA IV.
In 2008 XBox 360 only has 1 AAA exclusive (Gears of War 2) that will sell consoles plus GTA IV.
Lets assume these AAA titles will shift in total one million consoles each this year. GTA IV will cancel each other out. PS3 gains 4 million extra consoles in 2008 alone.

Legend already pretty much took care of this post, but I'll point out that KZ2 is the sequel to a crap game and is more likely to NOT be AAA (90%+).  Resistance 2 is the sequel to a 'good' game but once again there is nothing to make this more likely to be AAA than Fable 2, BK3, Ninja Gaiden, Halo Wars, Halo Chronicles and Tales of Vesperia.  LBP is an original IP, so there is nothing to indicate it will be AAA.  It may look great, but its no more likely to be AAA than Too Human or Alan Wake.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@ Starcraft

Those who have seen Killzone 2 running on the PS3 have been blown away by this game. The PS3 is a lot more powerful for FPS games than the PS2 was for its time, also their dev team completely dwarfs the team which worked on Killzone 1.

Isnomniac has a friendly relationship with the company, their tech director has been at Guerilla to check out their tech and vice versa. Killzone1 wasn't even a bad game like you claim, it was pretty good for a PS2 FPS game which suffered mainly from:

IGN: "You're reading about a straightforward shooter limited by technology."

"Now even though playing Killzone is to be bombarded by bugs and glitches and technological inadequacies, the whole experience is definitely worth playing."

Judging from the public demonstrations gameplay and technology have seen major advancements. Just because Quake scored 65% on average for the Sega Saturn doesn't per se make the Quake 2 a bad game.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

About all the things about software sales PS3vsXbox360:

CHECK THE USERBASE !!!

then u will understand PS3/Xbox360 are selling at a similar rate.

And remember this topic is about hardware sales, not softwares sales !!!

Time to Work !

MikeB said:
@ Starcraft

Those who have seen Killzone 2 running on the PS3 have been blown away by this game. The PS3 is a lot more powerful for FPS games than the PS2 was for its time, also their dev team completely dwarfs the team which worked on Killzone 1.

Isnomniac has a friendly relationship with the company, their tech director has been at Guerilla to check out their tech and vice versa. Killzone1 wasn't even a bad game like you claim, it was pretty good for a PS2 FPS game which suffered mainly from:

IGN: "You're reading about a straightforward shooter limited by technology."

"Now even though playing Killzone is to be bombarded by bugs and glitches and technological inadequacies, the whole experience is definitely worth playing."

Judging from the public demonstrations gameplay and technology have seen major advancements. Just because Quake scored 65% on average for the Sega Saturn doesn't per se make the Quake 2 a bad game.

People were blown away by Lair as well.  The"friendly" relationship you speak of was suddenly brought up shortly after rumours of jealousy on Insomniac's partdut to differing budgets.  Furthermore, therehave been many rumours from different sources that mismanagment of Guerilla's vast KZ2 budget and human resources has led to the game being negatively affected.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS