By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until PS3 Totally outsells 360?

XBox 720 with Gears of War 3 or Bioshock 2 as launch titles by end of 2010. Hopefully not as faulty as the Xbox 360, one in three failure rate is unacceptable. Regarding XBox 360 console design: "Seriously Bill Gates what were you thinking?"

Around the Network

@Rock_On_2008

LOL, I can't believe I was responding to your posts... Thanks for clearing up that you can't be taken seriously.  Sadly with some of the fanboys on here it took me awhile to realize you're just a troll looking to stir up the pot by making idiotic posts on all sides of the console wars.

Legend11 said:
MikeB said:
@ Legend11

Or ignore exclusive content for GTAIV?

Future additional non-free dowloadable episodes more relevant than free online multi-player or pretty potential RRoD & disc scratching? Personally I don't think so. So many great games coming out for the PS3 it will be easy for me to wait for GTA V for additional episodes. I think GTA III on the XBox offered additional content, but didn't really add much to sales.

Personally I think the episodes are worth it to fans of the series. I guess we'll have to wait until first week sales of the game to see who's right. So you think it's the same situation with GTAIV as it was with GTAIII on PS2/Xbox? LOL.

First week sales tell only part of the story, the 360 install base is still significantly larger in the US. IMO much better would be to compare sales for 2008 as a whole if we can get worldwide figures from Rockstar.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I wonder how much official figures vary to this video game tracking site? I guess if you want to be an idiot go to Gamepro and IGN. Yeah I have accounts with those sites too and they do not ban you for goofing about. You only get banned if you use racist slurs, post objectionable material or use swear words.

BTW its just a matter of time PS3 overtakes the XBox 360 in total sales, it is closing the gap each week.

Legend11 said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
In 2008 PS3 have 5 AAA exclusives (MGS 4, GT5P, Little Big Planet, Kill Zone 2 and Resistance 2) that will sell consoles plus GTA IV.
In 2008 XBox 360 only has 1 AAA exclusive (Gears of War 2) that will sell consoles plus GTA IV.
Lets assume these AAA titles will shift in total one million consoles each this year. GTA IV will cancel each other out. PS3 gains 4 million extra consoles in 2008 alone.

Killzone 2? Sequel to a game that sold 750,000 copies? Yeah it makes sense to include it but exclude Fable 2 for 360, a sequel to a game which sold 2.6 million copies. Or ignore exclusive content for GTAIV? What about Banjo Kazooie 3? The first game in that series sold 3.65 million. And since you like mentioning franchise titles what about Halo Wars and Halo Chronicles? Or Ninja Gaiden 2, the previous installments on Xbox sold over 1.5 million.

What?

Killzone 2 sold well over 2 million. 

Ninja Gaiden sold about 700,000.

Halo Wars and Chronicles are spin-offs.

The only people who care about the downloadable content in XBL are hardcore gamers who already have a 360.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
@Rock_On_2008

LOL, I can't believe I was responding to your posts... Thanks for clearing up that you can't be taken seriously.  Sadly with some of the fanboys on here it took me awhile to realize you're just a troll looking to stir up the pot by making idiotic posts on all sides of the console wars.

Poor Legend11 a disillusioned X360 fanboy beating the drum for a lost cause.

Lord N said:
Legend11 said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
In 2008 PS3 have 5 AAA exclusives (MGS 4, GT5P, Little Big Planet, Kill Zone 2 and Resistance 2) that will sell consoles plus GTA IV.
In 2008 XBox 360 only has 1 AAA exclusive (Gears of War 2) that will sell consoles plus GTA IV.
Lets assume these AAA titles will shift in total one million consoles each this year. GTA IV will cancel each other out. PS3 gains 4 million extra consoles in 2008 alone.

Killzone 2? Sequel to a game that sold 750,000 copies? Yeah it makes sense to include it but exclude Fable 2 for 360, a sequel to a game which sold 2.6 million copies. Or ignore exclusive content for GTAIV? What about Banjo Kazooie 3? The first game in that series sold 3.65 million. And since you like mentioning franchise titles what about Halo Wars and Halo Chronicles? Or Ninja Gaiden 2, the previous installments on Xbox sold over 1.5 million.

What?

Killzone 2 sold well over 2 million.

Ninja Gaiden sold about 700,000.

Halo Wars and Chronicles are spin-offs.

The only people who care about the downloadable content in XBL are hardcore gamers who already have a 360.

Did you just get back from the future?  Killzone 2 isn't even out yet.

Rock_on_2008 said:
I wonder how much official figures vary to this video game tracking site?

Gears sold about 4.5 million copies to retail when VGChartz reported well over 5 million end user 360 sales. (CliffyB didn't clarify if that's combined PC/360 sales, but people here assume he was only talking about 360 figures)

Gran Turismo 4 sold 9.92 million copies worldwide, VGChartz has the figure at 8.88 million.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Legend11 said:

Lets try a Western based franchise that doesn't typically do well in Japan... GTAIV may do decent in Japan, but It's doubtful it would be enough to make a huge impact in the total numbers...

Call of Duty 4

360: 5,043,312
PS3: 2,551,430

That gap in sales of 2.5 million is just a little bit more impressive than the 40 thousand for DMC4.

Guitar Hero 3

360: 2,429,475
PS3: 921,048

Wow.. Another game where the 360 version significantly more than the PS3 version... 1.6 million more...

Madden 08

360: 2.15 million
PS3: 0.77 million

Hmm.. Amazing attachment rate for PS3 too bad the 360 version still outsold it by 1.38 miilion...

Now take your time in figuring out which system is able to produce more multi-million sellers or have games that sell above 3 million... The Xbox 360 has had 5... The PS3 has.. let me total this up... 0. And to top it off 2 of the PS3's top 3 sellers were pack-in games for a significant amount of time.

GTAIV will likely have at least 4-5 million in sales if not more on the 360 and it's hard to believe that the PS3 will suddenly become a software beast and sell 8-10 million copies of the game anytime soon. Add in the fact that the 360 version is getting exclusive episodes which will keep it on people's minds at the end of this year and next year as well...

Madden 08 is of no interest to anybody outside the US, so it logically follows the ratio between the hardware sold in the US. CoD4, like most other FPS are preferred to be played on the PC here in Europe, so again no surprise there. 

How about looking at the sales (by 29th February) for Burnout Paradise, selling

360 466,836
PS3 427,292

or Need For Speed: Pro Street

360 1,132,628
PS3 1,050,887

As for the DMC4 sales, after sales declined in Japan, the game has actually been selling almost equal numbers for PS3 and 360 for several weeks. So I'd say that for a game that is released on both consoles and appeals equally to players of both consoles in all regions (outside of Japan) we might see somewhat similar sales for both versions of GTAIV, even if the install base of 360 is bigger.

Paid by the alliance
to slay all the giants.

Soccer games only sell well in Europe/Other region. I do not think USA even play soccer, so hardly any of them would buy soccer games.
Soccer = European region. American Football = NA Region.
PS3 multiplatform versions will outsell XBox 360 versions ww from now on. Why get a lousy version with achievements get the better looking PS3 version.