By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Order: 1886 Attracts “Uncanny Haterade” Says Director

Boutros said:
It shouldn't matter to him. He shouldn't even address it. There's a big audience interested in cinematic experiences out there in the real world so a few vocal nerds on the internet won't dictate the success of the game.

I agree.  There are so many people out there who want to tear stuff down; giving them attention only empowers them.

The internet, generally speaking, hops on these trends where it considers one thing or another to be inherently bad, rather than just a matter of taste.  Linear games, for instance, or "not doing anything new in the genre".  Most of the yelling is ultimately irrelevant.

Around the Network

"Any news is good news"? Think of it this way, there are some that might buy it just to see.

Hmm, pie.

Also, that YT play through was a bit longer than 5 hours and was not a speed run.

They should stop commenting about the short length. They mislead and make stupid comparisons every time they do. Another person there compared the length of the SP to that of CoD, ignoring the fact that CoD also has a robust competitive MP offering and co-op.

BreedinBull said:
As do most Playstation exclusives.

What other Playstation exclusives get "uncanny haterade"?

The only thing I can think of is Driveclub but people were legitimately angry over the early problems with the game. Otherwise, most of their other franchises are generally liked/praised.

“I just feel like these days it’s so easy to be negative and I think the internet is the new playground for bullies. Who goes out of their way to really go and say something positive, right?"

Pretty much. Certain games just attract the ire of the jaded. This all reminds me a lot of the run up to the launch of Ryse.

If The Order is basically Resident Evil 4, I will be happy.

Around the Network

I agree, the hate over every little part of this game has been really unlike anything I've ever seen. I think it started because people (myself included) sort of assumed it was going to be a steam punk Gears of War. So when we learned more about the game and it was a story based cinematic TPS with no multiplayer, people kind of freaked.

Ever since then anytime anything comes out about the game it's a hatefest.

P.S. been looking into the length issue a little bit, most people on GAF seem to be finishing the game in between 8-12 hours. Which is right in like with games like Gears, Halo, Uncharted, ect. really don't understand the length issue at all.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

There's nothing particularly uncanny about it. Games with a strong narrative focus always receive a lot of flack online, even when they have more gameplay content than 'acceptable' titles have total length. 1886 being on the extreme end of the scale just amplifies that.

It's really not something he should be concerning himself with right now. We'll see soon enough if these complaints are truly widespread, or if this is just the latest in a series of online echo chambers. It's too late to change anything, so rather than bringing even more attention to the discussion, he should just sit back and hope for the best.

They should have listened to early criticisms. I bet they thought since this gen was headed in a direction all about graphics that it would be enough to carry The Order. I bet they also thought since the game was a ps4 exclusive, the game would escape harsh critics and vocal fans.

Looks like we found another person who shouldn't be given a speaking platform by his marketing team.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

So we've established that any game:

Under 10 hours
Can be finished in 5 hours if you skip stuff
Has QTEs
Has Borders
Is Story driven
Has lots of cut scenes
Is linear in design

Must be constantly critiqued on everything until launch.

Noted.

The PS5 Exists.