By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NoA explains the lack of regular New 3DS “We had to be able to market it”

Oh NoA... Sometimes, what you say are the dumbest things ever

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
So Americans are stupid. Can't argue with the cold, hard truth.

I wouldn't disagree with that but it sounds more like he is admitting that NOA is bad at marketing, which is the sole purpose of their existence.

LOL. Obviously NoE thinks that europeans are smart enough to figure out the differences between the models, but NoA assumes americans are different. You americans can keep your Reggie, we don't want him.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Dusk said:
SJReiter said:
"now, there’s the 2DS, 3DS, and New 3DS XL, all of which have their own functionality and features."

Unless he's referring to the 3DS XL, and not the regular 3DS, this explanation makes no sense. It's my understanding that the original 3DS is no longer sold in the US.

wrong. It has not been discontinued. 

Yes it has, go look at their most recent shipments data, Nintendo has not shipped the original 3DS to America at all this fiscal year (almost a year by now)

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

When NoA does dumb things, they're REALLY dumb.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Dusk said:

wrong. It has not been discontinued. 

Yes it has, go look at their most recent shipments data, Nintendo has not shipped the original 3DS to America at all this fiscal year (almost a year by now)

Well, there hasn't been an official announcement of that yet, I'm sure it will be shortly. It is still being sold on store shelves so it's not discontinued. It just isn't selling due to the XL, 2DS and now the New 3DS XL.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Nuvendil said:

Let me translate the language of corporate for you: 3DS XL sales in the US annihilated standard 3DS sales. Like it did everywhere else.  Which is why they discontinued the standard 3DS in the US in the first place.  So the market for the N3DSXL is bigger than the N3DS. It's really that simple. If they bring the N3DS to the market, they'll probably do it during a holiday season to capitalize on the rush.

It's really not that simple. Like u said, the XL version was more popular than the standard version in every region, so why is America the only one that doesn't get the standard sized New model? Based on what ur saying, Japan, Europe and Australia shouldn't have gotten it either because the XL version was more popular in those regions as well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Dusk said:
zorg1000 said:

Well, there hasn't been an official announcement of that yet, I'm sure it will be shortly. It is still being sold on store shelves so it's not discontinued. It just isn't selling due to the XL, 2DS and now the New 3DS XL.

Has Nintendo ever released an official announcement that they are discontinuing a console?  That would be really stupid considering how close the names of all the 3DS consoles are, it would just cause confusion.

Dusk said:
zorg1000 said:

It is official, if u don't ship something for a year then it's not coming back. Whether or not stores still have them in stock has nothing to do with being discontinued, that just means they haven't sold thru all of their old stock.

Discontinued simply means the manufacturer is no longer producing new units, which is the case for the original 3DS model in America.

I don't understand the anger ppl are having over this. I don't know a single soul who tried the 3DSXL and wished to go back to the regular size. XL is just so much better in the vast majority of people's opinions. So why bother bring the N3DS when the N3DSXL for the vast majority.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)